Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 12:19 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Saw her video. Spoiled, lazy brat who simply wanted a good time. There are thousands of kids who want to attend college for the right reason. Attending college just to party is a worthless endeavor.

I’m not the least bit jealous of these crappy people. I have more self respect than that. Maybe you don’t.
I do feel sympathy for the kids. Parents are supposed to help and guide their kids in positive ways. These kid's parents didn't. These kids don't have self respect because their parents did not teach it.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 03-15-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 12:26 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Yes! I read earlier that her dad was released on a $1,000,000 bond, as well as the mom.
I heard they just used their house as collateral to post bond and get out of jail, wealthy people do this all the time.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:41 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I heard they just used their house as collateral to post bond and get out of jail, wealthy people do this all the time.
They probably have multiple homes to choose from.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I had been wondering how the feds caught on. Just read on Huffington Post that another parent who was in trouble with the Feds for Securities fraud, dropped the dime. Apparently a parent who was friends with him confided about it.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:00 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I had been wondering how the feds caught on. Just read on Huffington Post that another parent who was in trouble with the Feds for Securities fraud, dropped the dime. Apparently a parent who was friends with him confided about it.
A financial executive wanting leniency in the securities case told federal authorities that Meredith (Yale's former soccer coach) sought a bribe to get his daughter into Yale.

After the Boston sting operation, Meredith cooperated with federal authorities, making him the first – and key – domino in the scandal. The parent who met with Meredith in the Boston hotel room is not among those charged.

Last edited by cjseliga; 03-15-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-15-2019, 01:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I do feel a tiny bit sorry for her.

The girl did not want to go to college. She had a successful YouTube channel with a million subscribers and multiple sponsors. She didn't really NEED college at this point because she already had something going on that she could use to spin off into an entertainment/fashion career, which it seems like she wanted. Basically, she was on her way to being a Kylie Jenner type.

It seems like her parents are the ones that wanted her to go, so they made all this happen. And now, her YouTube thing is falling apart as a result.

This chick went to the same private school that Kim Kardashian attended by the way.
I don't think she wanted to go to college to learn, but she admitted she wanted to be there for parties and football games. She wanted the college experience.

I'm having a hard time imagining how her parents made her go. I know they wanted her to go and she doesn't care much about having a college degree, but realistically, did they make her go? Was it a "we'll cut you off if you don't go" threat? Considering she already had a decent social media presence, she probably could have moved out on her own if they were trying to control her life and forcing her to go. I think she simply didn't want the academics, but had no issues going for the social aspect. I'm not so sure Olivia is as innocent in this as it may seem. I feel bad that she has crappy parents who would pull such a thing, but I don't feel bad she's experiencing a large fallout from this.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:49 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
... or CalTech or MIT or Harvey Mudd or Georgia Institute of Technology or other rigorous engineering programs. While the indictment doesn't specify it, I doubt any of the students planned to study hard stuff - probably just lit majors and sociology majors and the like.
What would be the point? They would not even understand the TITLES of the textbooks!

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 03-15-2019 at 02:38 PM..

Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't think she wanted to go to college to learn, but she admitted she wanted to be there for parties and football games. She wanted the college experience.

I'm having a hard time imagining how her parents made her go. I know they wanted her to go and she doesn't care much about having a college degree, but realistically, did they make her go? Was it a "we'll cut you off if you don't go" threat? Considering she already had a decent social media presence, she probably could have moved out on her own if they were trying to control her life and forcing her to go. I think she simply didn't want the academics, but had no issues going for the social aspect. I'm not so sure Olivia is as innocent in this as it may seem. I feel bad that she has crappy parents who would pull such a thing, but I don't feel bad she's experiencing a large fallout from this.
Domineering and controlling parents can make your life a living h3ll when you do not do what they want you to. Young people are not very adept at handling these types of people and/or situations.

The daughter had a lucrative gig going on and was not interested in attending college. I think anyone who shells out $500,000 in bribes to get their children into USC has got to have some major issues. The whole thing is just bizarre.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:13 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Maybe not in Utah, but 40+ years ago in my elite So Cal high school, the pressure and desire to get into Stanford, Cal, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, et al was every bit intense as it is now.
45 years ago, my wrong-side-of-the-railroad-tracks high school in So Cal graduated 660... of which 12 of us went to college or junior college -- supposedly 2nd worst in the state. I think the most elite school among the 12 was UC San Diego.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:14 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Oh, please. Her life isn't ruined.
Your right. She's 19. And IF -- IF her parents raised her with any self-awareness and understanding of what's REALLY important in life, she's MORE than survive. She's got all the money most people could ever want. Connects, etc.

Heck even Mel Gibson bounced back (a little bit) from his drunken arrest and rant about a certain ethnic group.

If Monica Lewinsky can go on to have a career in her field of choice, given the scandal SHE was involved in -- an kid (young adult actually) -- can bounce back and succeed. THey're parents are so rich none of them likely needed to go to college ANYway. And they would have had a sweet life.

To them and their parents: "Get over it!" And they will eventually. I'm not saying the won't have to lay low, or have some "social and legal" difficulties. OK that's short term. But again, if Monica could do it. THEY can do it. Hell, the Kardashian's entire careers were boosted by a sex tape!

One problem is many, many people don't know how to handle or cope with ANY adversity in life. They're snowflakes. THAT is the disservice to them....done -- by THEIR PARENTS!
But Monica Lewinsky never bounced back. She went on to graduate from the London School of Economics and has never been able to get a job. She was essentially a kid when the Clinton mess happened. The Clintons got past it. The best Monica has been able to do is host a crappy reality TV show and design a few handbags. That's hardly the career of her choice so I don't know where you got that information.

Don't mean to hijack, just want to correct what you said.

As far as the college scandal some might recover, maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events