U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 02:54 PM

729 posts, read 390,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I definitely wouldn't say there's no possibility for forgiveness and redemption for the two, only time will tell.
Based on this article about her looking arrogant, annoyed, and defiant in court, she is not off to a good start. It has been said that she's an extremely competitive parent who often very much bragged about her daughters' accomplishments. She probably has a pretty huge ego surrounding being this perfect person, and it will be interesting to see if this Type- A perfectionist can be truly repentant and remorseful accepting responsibility for what she did.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainm...bi3?li=BBnb7Kz

Last edited by Chloe333; 03-16-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:00 PM

3,980 posts, read 7,544,632 times
So a few rich kids got into college. What's the big deal? It's not like they are taking over the schools by the millions. Schadenfreude is a dangerous thing.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:27 PM

729 posts, read 390,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
So a few rich kids got into college. What's the big deal? It's not like they are taking over the schools by the millions. Schadenfreude is a dangerous thing.
The parents lied, bribed, cheated and participated in brazen fraud to get their offspring into schools. It's a big deal. They brought this misfortune upon themselves, and people are pleased that they must now account and answer for what they have illegally done.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 PM

19,177 posts, read 15,835,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
They took seats away from kids who actually earned them, and worked hard for them. I donít know whatís happened to this countryís values if people donít think thatís a problem. Now lying, cheating and white collar crime has been so normalized we just accept it as the norm. Sad, very sad!

Old 03-16-2019, 07:54 PM

3,980 posts, read 7,544,632 times
Anyone familiar with affirmative actions? Less qualified people have been allowed to cut in line all the times. At least rich these kids don't go to college on financial aids and become a burden on taxpayers.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 PM

6,243 posts, read 7,813,609 times
No wonder we need immigrants with hard science and engineering degrees to fill jobs involving taming the laws of nature. See the laws of nature don't care who you know, it's what you know that keeps people from being harmed by these non political processes.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:39 PM

3,959 posts, read 2,965,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
My bet is that this kind of fraud has been going on for years, possibly decades.

It's high time that it gets sorted out. Those who have been fraudulently admitted and are still attending classes should be expelled immediately. As for those who've already gotten degrees, their transcripts should annotated with a statement referring to their fraudulent admission.

In any case, it's good that this is finally receiving scrutiny.
I have always assumed the elite wing of academia was well above reproach. I hope I am proven wrong.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:27 PM

12,009 posts, read 7,138,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
someone would have likely had to explain to the debutante just what that the rowing machine thing was that she was to pose on, you'd think she might have asked at that point why she had to sit on it and what it was used for.
It's a rowing machine, a very common piece of exercise equipment. Even the local YMCA has a few in their workout room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
admission applications had them as rowers and the pics included. How could they not know what their own application said?
Because it was all done through her parents.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:16 PM

6,604 posts, read 2,356,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think one of the mistakes that some people make is assuming that going to college is all about earning money. There is a prestige factor in having your child go to some schools that is hard for many--particularly those who have not been to college--to understand. Its a sort of "social capital" that is desirable to many people.

I'm not supporting or condoning what happened here. However, the motivations well-to-do people can have to send a child to college go beyond income on a balance sheet. Often, there is a desire to see the child working in certain fields that require a degree. Many of these parents go to parties and gatherings and they brag about their children. Even if they don't, there probably is a certain inner satisfaction at knowing their child has a degree from USC or wherever. This concept of social status or social capital was very real in my family. I never thought of not going to college because my parents told my sister and I from our youngest ages that we would be going to college and they would take care of the expense. Of course, this was more than forty years ago, but that as example of the value that college has to some people.

Ultimately, it goes to the fact that ours is an extremely status conscious and materialistic society. Its clear from some of the posts that some people seem to think the answer is simply to ignore all that and perhaps people should. However, most don't ignore it. While I cannot condone what these parents did, I understand the forces that drive people to try and get their children into these colleges. I question whether even sending some of these people to prison will stop this. Equality under the law is something most people give lip service too. On a personal level, many of them want their kids to succeed and do better than others no matter what must be sacrificed.

While money is part of it, its about more than money.
Yes, I agree with you in that parents love to show off about their kids and what schools they attend, but most people do see college as a way of securing their future and to be in a position to take advantage of better job opportunities. Most of the kids I went to high school with could have gone on to prestigious colleges but just didn't have the resources to and it really wasn't important to our families to attend an Ivy League college, just as long as we did go to a four year college. College was a life changing experience but it wasn't easy because most of us had to work our way through school, still it was worth it because it opened our world - it isn't about money, but opportunities. In college, it is four years of developing and enriching your mind, achieving goals you've set, and making new ones for the future.

Olivia Jade was not into college, she already found her niche - she was an influencer, her parents should have let it go, she was an adult and able to make an informed decision. She knew what she was, and a student she was not. Actually, lots of kids are skipping college, especially the young and gifted who work in the tech industry, most never attended or dropped out of college.

I think there should be admissions reform, more than the pay for play (seems like it), let's concentrate on legacies - those students that are admitted just because their father or mother, grandparents attended a particular college.

Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM

10,110 posts, read 11,774,438 times
This is nothing new at all. It's totally commonplace.
It's just that 2 families got busted.
Now everyone that never got into college can file a lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events