U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
9,980 posts, read 13,855,426 times
Reputation: 21609

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Why though is the Laughlin family getting the brunt of the anger? Something like 33 patents were arrested, you think they’re any less arrogant or their kids any less spoiled?? You don’t think they all are privileged and take advantage of it?

Not asking you personally just in general everyone seems to have the pitchforks out mainly for her.
My best guess is because of the public persona she portrays. When you present yourself as living a righteous life and are discovered being deceitful it angers people. You can't burst their rosy bubbles, make them feel like fools, and expect no outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
 
19,199 posts, read 15,843,874 times
Reputation: 36159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My best guess is because of the public persona she portrays. When you present yourself as living a righteous life and are discovered being deceitful it angers people. You can't burst their rosy bubbles, make them feel like fools, and expect no outrage.
I know but people are attributing all sorts of qualities to her and only her when they have no idea if they’re accurate. It seems like just piling on of hate. I guess that’s just the way people operate today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
 
7,450 posts, read 9,235,416 times
Reputation: 8632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I drove by the motel where Jerry Lundegaard was taken down the other day and couldn't help but think those were probably better times for him.

Ah, Jerry....classic character...

"...but...I'm cooperating here..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
 
1,618 posts, read 643,031 times
Reputation: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why though is the Laughlin family getting the brunt of the anger? Something like 33 patents were arrested, you think they’re any less arrogant or their kids any less spoiled?? You don’t think they all are privileged and take advantage of it?
Because Lori is beautiful and has a sweet face and sweet smile (and I suspect that's part of the reason why she was hired on the Hallmark channel), so when she does something wrong, she'll be destroyed for it.

Felicity Huffman is not as pretty.

And the media only focuses on celebrities because they're the most famous. Don't forget the media needs to keep their readers interested, and their readers will not care about the non-famous people.

If this scandal had no celebrities, no one would care. The rich using their money to get what they want has been going on forever and will continue to go on forever but that's never exploded into a huge story until celebrities were involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
 
1,618 posts, read 643,031 times
Reputation: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I know but people are attributing all sorts of qualities to her and only her when they have no idea if they’re accurate. It seems like just piling on of hate. I guess that’s just the way people operate today.
Right. People will interpret the information any way they want and they will come to their own conclusions using that same information. If you read celebrity news regularly, you'll find out that celebrities complain all the time that the media misinterprets their words and the pictures they post.

And plus the bandwagon mentally is human nature, i.e. following the crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
 
19,199 posts, read 15,843,874 times
Reputation: 36159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Because Lori is beautiful and has a sweet face and sweet smile (and I suspect that's part of the reason why she was hired on the Hallmark channel), so when she does something wrong, she'll be destroyed for it.

Felicity Huffman is not as pretty.

And the media only focuses on celebrities because they're the most famous. Don't forget the media needs to keep their readers interested, and their readers will not care about the non-famous people.

If this scandal had no celebrities, no one would care. The rich using their money to get what they want has been going on forever and will continue to go on forever but that's never exploded into a huge story until celebrities were involved.
Everyone blames “the media”, but everyone on these boards has capability of reading and understanding there are dozens of these parents charged. I don’t see much focusing on Lori and Felicity on the news (mostly the stories I am seeing are about Singer). It is here people are focusing on the celebrities, specifically Lori.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM
 
903 posts, read 182,014 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again the parents deducted the bribe money, so that makes it Federall.
Ocnjgirl, neither you nor I nor anyone in the public has any idea if anyone of them did this. Individual IRS Form 1040s are confidential and not public. No one has been charged with felony tax evasion - it is all hypothetical at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
 
12,213 posts, read 10,099,900 times
Reputation: 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Everyone blames “the media”, but everyone on these boards has capability of reading and understanding there are dozens of these parents charged. I don’t see much focusing on Lori and Felicity on the news (mostly the stories I am seeing are about Singer). It is here people are focusing on the celebrities, specifically Lori.
I think it's because people recognize them. The other people involved are wealthy but not as publicly well-known, if they are publicly well-known at all. I've seen many of the names, I don't think all of them but many, and I personally don't recognize anyone else. I would be outraged at this scandal no matter who was found to have been involved, but there's something about knowing who Lori Loughlin (loved Full House as a kid), Mossimo Giannulli (I am aware of his clothes and may have even worn them at times), Felicity Huffman, and William H. Macy are. I know their names, their faces, have seen at least two of them do interviews and out in the public eye. They have publicly presented themselves in a certain way or have at least been known to the public for a while, then we find out they did this really crappy thing. They live much more public lives than the other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
 
903 posts, read 182,014 times
Reputation: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That's what I'm asking. Is that actually illegal in the private sense. Yes it's illegal to bribe public officials but is it illegal to bribe private employees? I can see it as a civil matter between employer and employee but is it a criminal matter? What is the statue that has been broken?

I'm really trying to understand how this becomes a federal crime rather than a civil matter.
From the indictment:

Quote:
I [Laura Smith, Special Agent of the FBI] make this affidavit in support of criminal complaints charging the following individuals (collectively, “the defendants”) with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1349
They are charged with "Honest Services Fraud" with is a federal crime. By bribing a coach, the University is deprived of the "honest services" of that coach -- that is, because of the bribe, the coach does things in a way very different from what would occur absent the bribe.

That's the legal theory.

That's also why donating millions of dollars to a university in exchange for acceptance is NOT a crime: there is no "Honest Services Fraud."

At least one parent has plead not guilty. We'll see how it turns out.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; Yesterday at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
 
12,213 posts, read 10,099,900 times
Reputation: 16802
Also Lori Loughlin's daughter Olivia has some fame in her own right, and has been very public about school and how she feels about it. So she's easy to talk about in this context, she's practically handed us info. Notice how almost no one is really talking about her other daughter who also went to (she left too right?) USC, it's because she seemingly isn't as open as her sister and we know less about her overall.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; Yesterday at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top