Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 01:45 PM

50,235 posts, read 35,906,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think it's because people recognize them. The other people involved are wealthy but not as publicly well-known, if they are publicly well-known at all. I've seen many of the names, I don't think all of them but many, and I personally don't recognize anyone else. I would be outraged at this scandal no matter who was found to have been involved, but there's something about knowing who Lori Loughlin (loved Full House as a kid), Mossimo Giannulli (I am aware of his clothes and may have even worn them at times), Felicity Huffman, and William H. Macy are. I know their names, their faces, have seen at least two of them do interviews and out in the public eye. They have publicly presented themselves in a certain way or have at least been known to the public for a while, then we find out they did this really crappy thing. They live much more public lives than the other people.
I don’t have any problem with them being called out on what they did. My issues come when people start declaring her motives as facts “shes just trying to impress people” “she’s an overbearing mother forcing her daughter to go to school so she looks good”, “they are arrogant” when we have no idea any of the parents motives, let alone their personalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 01:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,903,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t have any problem with them being called out on what they did. My issues come when people start declaring her motives as facts “shes just trying to impress people” “she’s an overbearing mother forcing her daughter to go to school so she looks good”, “they are arrogant” when we have no idea any of the parents motives, let alone their personalities.
It's easier for people to make assumptions when they know who the person is. It's not right unless there's solid proof to think such a thing, but it comes with being in the public eye. People make similar comments about famous people in all types of contexts all the time, it's the idea that they know of their motives and personal lives because of how public their lives are, and maybe comments they've made in the past or something taken out of context or too far. Comments like these about celebrities are nothing new.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:51 PM

26,534 posts, read 36,403,088 times
Quote:
when we have no idea any of the parents motives, let alone their personalities.
People tell others a lot about who they are by their actions.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:27 PM

50,235 posts, read 35,906,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
People tell others a lot about who they are by their actions.
Actions alone cannot tell motive. If I steal a diamond bracelet, it might be because I’m an entitled twit who doesn’t want to work, or it could be because I work two jobs and still can’t afford my kids cancer drugs. It’s a wrong action regardless, but no one can accurately judge my motives just by looking at my action.

Likewise no one knows any of these parents motives. i I also find it curious ALL the hate is reserved for her, how do we know it wasn’t the husband who called the guy?

Old 03-18-2019, 02:44 PM

26,534 posts, read 36,403,088 times
Quote:
Actions alone cannot tell motive. If I steal a diamond bracelet, it might be because I’m an entitled twit who doesn’t want to work, or it could be because I work two jobs and still can’t afford my kids cancer drugs.
Pretty sure there's no equivalency here. Lori Loughlin is firmly in the "entitled twit" column. She didn't buy her kids' way into USC because of some sort of altruism.

Quote:
how do we know it wasn’t the husband who called the guy?
Because the federal criminal complaint filed last week contains copies of an email Lori Laughlin sent to Rick Springer. It was the initial contact. Doesn't mean her husband was an innocent bystander, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-18-2019 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 03:11 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,542,494 times
The depth and breadth of admissions fraud has barely had its surface scratched by these recent, celebrity accusations. It goes on at all levels, from pre-school on up and it may not always involve huge sums of money or any money at all. There are other forms of currency that may be exchanged for preferential treatment of one's children. Gifts of consumer goods, automobiles, memberships in clubs, are just a few ways that favors are bought from school officials. I was once banned from an athletic team in 9th grade, because the rich father of my main rival for that position, gave a used car from his dealership to the coach. I've always wondered if that kid, who seemed to be a decent sort, ever knew why he was on the team and I wasn't, even though I'd beaten him by 40 yards in a tryout race?

So it isn't just admissions to schools that are racked with fraud and bribery. There are many sorts of other advantages within the schools that are purchased by parents who have the means to do it.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 PM

24,325 posts, read 9,203,569 times
America ranks #22 on the corruption index (#1 is least corrupt) and I always wondered what some of those institutions were, besides public office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrup...ceptions_Index

This scandal has finally provided us with a small look of what has been going on for decades

Anything in American society that requires exclusivity or selection is likely ripe with corruption.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:11 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,546,214 times
My personal belief is that as much as 30% of students at prestigious schools go there through some type of cheating/bribery. It's very common. These arrests happen because the main culprit got caught 1st and his plea deal helped the Feds nab other people. Usually these cheating cases cannot be proven due to lack of evidence.

Everybody knows that at Ivy League schools, there are lots of rich under-achieving kids. How can they get into the school if they don't have the academic records? Bribe and cheat of course. That's how the 1% gets to be bosses and all the top jobs. They don't have to compete with smart kids for grades when their parents just have to write a check or exchange favors for admission to a top school.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:59 PM

3,268 posts, read 1,781,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
America ranks #22 on the corruption index (#1 is least corrupt) and I always wondered what some of those institutions were, besides public office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrup...ceptions_Index

This scandal has finally provided us with a small look of what has been going on for decades.

Anything in American society that requires exclusivity or selection is likely ripe with corruption.
Um, not exactly.
Didn't you read the title?
It's the Corruption Perception Index which ranks countries "by their perceived levels of public sector[1] corruption, as determined by expert assessments and opinion surveys."

1. There is no empirical or statistical data involved.
2. The CPI currently ranks 176 countries

The U.S. is perceived as 22nd best out of the 176, or in the top %12.5.

I'd say that's not bad, whether we deserve that rank or not.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 AM

10,581 posts, read 5,565,177 times
Quote:
I also find it curious ALL the hate is reserved for her, how do we know it wasn’t the husband who called the guy?
I recommend you read the actual indictment. It will provide much of the information about which you've speculated in this thread.

From the indictment:

Quote:
On or about April 22, 2016, GIANNULLI, copying LOUGHLIN, sent an e-mail to CW-1, noting:We just met with [our older daughter’s]college counselor this am. I’d like to maybe sit with you after your session with the girls as I have some concerns and want to fully understand the game plan and make sure we have a roadmap for success as it relates to [our daughter] and getting her into a school other than ASU!

CW-1 responded, “If you want [u]SC I have the game plan ready to go into motion. Call me to discuss.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events