U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 09:57 AM
 
19,203 posts, read 15,843,874 times
Reputation: 36164

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I recommend you read the actual indictment. It will provide much of the information about which you've speculated in this thread.

From the indictment:
OK I give on that point. I still don’t get why she is having hate piles and piles and piles on her when they were dozens of other parents arrested for the same thing. I think there’s a touch of misogyny in there, and I think the fact that they’re both pretty her and the daughter has something to do with it. I can’t help but think that. Because there’s no other reason.

Don’t get me wrong I am not defending either her or the daughter. I think what ALL these parents did was reprehensible. But the hate being piled on her is so out of proportion that nothing makes sense about it to me. She’s getting more hate than the man Singer who started the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 10:09 AM
 
14,353 posts, read 12,892,286 times
Reputation: 19332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OK I give on that point. I still donít get why she is having hate piles and piles and piles on her when they were dozens of other parents arrested for the same thing. I think thereís a touch of misogyny in there, and I think the fact that theyíre both pretty her and the daughter has something to do with it. I canít help but think that. Because thereís no other reason.

Donít get me wrong I am not defending either her or the daughter. I think what ALL these parents did was reprehensible. But the hate being piled on her is so out of proportion that nothing makes sense about it to me. Sheís getting more hate than the man Singer who started the whole thing.
Because she is the most famous out of them, that is why. No one ever heard of Singer, few have heard of Huffman, but many, many people have heard of Loughlin, hell grew up with her being on Full House and all, and is a constant presence on TV now. plus her persona of being a "good, squeaky clean girl" makes it all that more of an effect. Macy is popular, not as much as Loughlin in my opinion, and he was not even charged.

Has zero to do with misogyny, but hey, think whatever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:26 AM
 
19,203 posts, read 15,843,874 times
Reputation: 36164
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Because she is the most famous out of them, that is why. No one ever heard of Singer, few have heard of Huffman, but many, many people have heard of Loughlin, hell grew up with her being on Full House and all, and is a constant presence on TV now. plus her persona of being a "good, squeaky clean girl" makes it all that more of an effect. Macy is popular, not as much as Loughlin in my opinion, and he was not even charged.

Has zero to do with misogyny, but hey, think whatever you want.
I disagree with that completely Felicity Huffman was on Desperate Housewives for many years. People know who she is. I don’t know for sure that it’s misogyny, but it doesn’t make sense so it’s as good a theory as any other. I think people love to hate pretty women and girls.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; Today at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:27 AM
 
39,671 posts, read 23,862,535 times
Reputation: 12386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OK I give on that point. I still donít get why she is having hate piles and piles and piles on her when they were dozens of other parents arrested for the same thing. I think thereís a touch of misogyny in there, and I think the fact that theyíre both pretty her and the daughter has something to do with it. I canít help but think that. Because thereís no other reason.

Donít get me wrong I am not defending either her or the daughter. I think what ALL these parents did was reprehensible. But the hate being piled on her is so out of proportion that nothing makes sense about it to me. Sheís getting more hate than the man Singer who started the whole thing.
The hate being piled on her is proportionate to the love that was piled on pre-scandal. It's not misogyny, it's not because she's pretty. It's because she was famous and popular. She was also admired, for the good-girl image she presented to the public. That good-girl image was the basis for her financial success. Hallmark banked on it, and so did she. Now she's infamous and not popular. If she gets a decent PR person, she can turn it around. Ms Loughlin will never be able to get rid of this scandal, but she can make amends, she can take responsibility, and she can apologize. Right now, she's absorbing all the repercussions of this scandal. Her daughter is, on a lesser scale, as well. But to salvage Ms Loughlin's career, they are going to have to take some action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:32 AM
 
21,362 posts, read 27,337,110 times
Reputation: 15415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I disagree with that completely Felicity Huffman was on desperate housewives for many years. People know who she is. I don’t know for sure that it’s misogyny, but it doesn’t make sense so it’s as good a theory as any other. I think people love to hate pretty women and girls.
Not everything is about misogyny.

People may have known who Huffman is, but her image wasn't as squeaky clean as Aunt Becky's. It's likely more about the level of hypocrisy involved than how anyone looks. Loughlin is also a lot more well-known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:37 AM
 
14,353 posts, read 12,892,286 times
Reputation: 19332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I disagree with that completely Felicity Huffman was on desperate housewives for many years. People know who she is. I donít know for sure that itís misogyny, but it doesnít make sense so itís as good a theory as any other. I think people love to hate pretty women and girls.
I nor anyone I know ever even heard of her or the show, she is a fraction of popularity compared to Loughlin, I never heard of her though heard of Macy of course. I am not a celebrity watcher at all, did not even know Loughlin had kids nor anything about her, but still knew who she was. Full House is a staple in US entertainment/TV culture, House Wives or whatever, is not, the common person who does not watch TV probably never even heard of the show, unlike Full house (for myself, never heard of it, but I do not watch much TV).

My opinion is Loughlin's celebrity status towers over Huffman, and this is demonstrated in the media and about every forum talking about this subject. To add, I guess Loughlin's daughter (I am just going by the media, never heard of her) was much more exposed and popular than Huffman's kids (I do not even know if Huffman's kid(s) are a girl, boy, or how many), so this just made the exposure even more of an effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:24 AM
 
775 posts, read 264,962 times
Reputation: 2487
Huffman paid $15,000 to get a proctor to alter her daughter's ACT or SAT score. She also backed off on doing it again for her other daughter.

Loughlin paid $500,000 for scam admissions to USC. Her daughters were admitted through athletics (crew team - really? LOL). Her daughter, Olivia Jade, was already successful with her vlogging career. Olivia Jade has no filter and can't keep her mouth shut - says she never showed up to high school, doesn't want to be in college except for parties and sports, and said her Dad scammed his parents out of tuition money). Loughlin has publicly discussed the importance of character and honesty. All of these things contributed to Loughlin receiving a lot more public attention than other college admissions fraud participants.

I am surprised the bail was set so high. A million dollars seems excessive considering the crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:43 AM
 
5,877 posts, read 5,307,596 times
Reputation: 10478
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I nor anyone I know ever even heard of her or the show, she is a fraction of popularity compared to Loughlin, I never heard of her though heard of Macy of course. I am not a celebrity watcher at all, did not even know Loughlin had kids nor anything about her, but still knew who she was. Full House is a staple in US entertainment/TV culture, House Wives or whatever, is not, the common person who does not watch TV probably never even heard of the show, unlike Full house (for myself, never heard of it, but I do not watch much TV).

My opinion is Loughlin's celebrity status towers over Huffman, and this is demonstrated in the media and about every forum talking about this subject. To add, I guess Loughlin's daughter (I am just going by the media, never heard of her) was much more exposed and popular than Huffman's kids (I do not even know if Huffman's kid(s) are a girl, boy, or how many), so this just made the exposure even more of an effect.
Eh. I am way more familiar with Huffman than Loughlin, maybe it just depends on the circles you run in. Desperate Houswives ran for 7/8 years and was a top rated show. She was also a fan favorite character on Sports Night for the whole time that show was on. Most recently I remember her in American Crime. She's never really stopped working in TV. She got nominated a bunch of times for Emmys over the years.

On the other hand, I never really knew Lori Loghlin's name... I just knew her as Aunt Becky I don't watch any of her Hallmark TV shows though I have caught a couple of the holiday movies she was in.

Anyway I agree Aunt Becky is catching it the most because of her wholsome image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Seattle
1,622 posts, read 923,793 times
Reputation: 2771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Huffman paid $15,000 to get a proctor to alter her daughter's ACT or SAT score. She also backed off on doing it again for her other daughter.

Loughlin paid $500,000 for scam admissions to USC. Her daughters were admitted through athletics (crew team - really? LOL). Her daughter, Olivia Jade, was already successful with her vlogging career. Olivia Jade has no filter and can't keep her mouth shut - says she never showed up to high school, doesn't want to be in college except for parties and sports, and said her Dad scammed his parents out of tuition money). Loughlin has publicly discussed the importance of character and honesty. All of these things contributed to Loughlin receiving a lot more public attention than other college admissions fraud participants.

I am surprised the bail was set so high. A million dollars seems excessive considering the crime.
Haven't looked to closely at this case so I appreciate your clear analysis.

A million dollars for bail?!!! That is ridiculous, what is she going to do, sneak across the border to Mx and make her way to Venezuela to avoid extradition? Even if the intent is to financially punish her I'm sure she's already seeing the bank accounts drying up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:53 AM
 
3,983 posts, read 7,546,958 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Huffman paid $15,000 to get a proctor to alter her daughter's ACT or SAT score. She also backed off on doing it again for her other daughter.

Loughlin paid $500,000 for scam admissions to USC. Her daughters were admitted through athletics (crew team - really? LOL). Her daughter, Olivia Jade, was already successful with her vlogging career. Olivia Jade has no filter and can't keep her mouth shut - says she never showed up to high school, doesn't want to be in college except for parties and sports, and said her Dad scammed his parents out of tuition money). Loughlin has publicly discussed the importance of character and honesty. All of these things contributed to Loughlin receiving a lot more public attention than other college admissions fraud participants.

I am surprised the bail was set so high. A million dollars seems excessive considering the crime.
Perhaps the court is influenced by the current lynch mob mentality? Since a college education is deemed important, a lot of people try to gain an advantage, not just rich people. When I was a high school student, I took college exams for some poor people who needed to pass to get in. I didn't charge any money though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top