U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
 
778 posts, read 265,775 times
Reputation: 2497

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Perhaps the court is influenced by the current lynch mob mentality? Since a college education is deemed important, a lot of people try to gain an advantage, not just rich people. When I was a high school student, I took college exams for some poor people who needed to pass to get in. I didn't charge any money though.
Perhaps.

People do all sorts of things to help their children gain an educational advantage. I did a ton of volunteer work at my daughter's primary school. She definitely benefited from my involvement. I paid for all kinds of music, sports, and other activities/lessons. She lived abroad and traveled extensively. She had lots of interesting experiences and activities that influences her college essays. All of that stuff helped her college admission.

I am surprised some of these kids could not gain a holistic admission given their backgrounds; especially Olivia Jade. A rowing athlete has more of an advantage in admission than a very successful teen entrepreneur?! Weird.

These parents went too far with the bribes and changing test scores. It is very probable that the lynch mob mentality is strong because these children had very distinct educational advantages and failed to perform, yet are admitted through scam applications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
 
19,207 posts, read 15,852,913 times
Reputation: 36179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Haven't looked to closely at this case so I appreciate your clear analysis.

A million dollars for bail?!!! That is ridiculous, what is she going to do, sneak across the border to Mx and make her way to Venezuela to avoid extradition? Even if the intent is to financially punish her I'm sure she's already seeing the bank accounts drying up.

They used their $35,000,000.00 home as collateral. The husband's company is a multi-billion dollar company, and he alone has a net worth of $80,000,000.00. I don't think they are going to have to worry.


Normally you only have to put down a percentage of what the bail actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 655,380 times
Reputation: 3451
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post

I am surprised the bail was set so high. A million dollars seems excessive considering the crime.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They used their $35,000,000.00 home as collateral. The husband's company is a multi-billion dollar company, and he alone has a net worth of $80,000,000.00. I don't think they are going to have to worry.


Normally you only have to put down a percentage of what the bail actually is.

Doesn't at all change the fact that this is the authorities/gov't grandstanding & going overboard to try to show they are serious about punishing rich white people. I'm against what they did and hope they get heavy penalties but that high a bail amount is ridiculous and was done to try and make a show of it....some murderers & rapists get less bail charges.

And...the ONLY reason for bail is to ensure the defendant shows up for the court case after being released...not as a fine or financial punishment (that would come after trial and a finding of guilt) or public flaying like was done here. Bail is usually set higher when the def. has no real property, ties to the area or is a flight risk...none of the was true here...it was simply the gov't putting on their show on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
 
19,207 posts, read 15,852,913 times
Reputation: 36179
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Doesn't at all change the fact that this is the authorities/gov't grandstanding & going overboard to try to show they are serious about punishing rich white people. I'm against what they did and hope they get heavy penalties but that high a bail amount is ridiculous and was done to try and make a show of it....some murderers & rapists get less bail charges.

And...the ONLY reason for bail is to ensure the defendant shows up for the court case after being released...not as a fine or financial punishment (that would come after trial and a finding of guilt) or public flaying like was done here. Bail is usually set higher when the def. has no real property, ties to the area or is a flight risk...none of the was true here...it was simply the gov't putting on their show on.

This person thinks the rich are given advantages in a bail system that only requires securing something as bail, bascially just a promise to oay if they don't show up, vs having to come up with the cash like normal people have to. None of those arrested had to come up with cash.


https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...ssions-scandal


I don't know why Lori's was higher than anyone else's, even Singers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 655,380 times
Reputation: 3451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This person thinks the rich are given advantages in a bail system that only requires securing something as bail, bascially just a promise to oay if they don't show up, vs having to come up with the cash like normal people have to. None of those arrested had to come up with cash.


https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...ssions-scandal


I don't know why Lori's was higher than anyone else's, even Singers.
Exactly....proving the point the authorities/gov't were using and blabbing about such a huge number to make it look like they were being serious about it and taking rich whites to the woodshed. What or whatever they paid or didn't pay is immaterial...the fact that the authorities chose to set it that high & announce it as some kind of "see...we ain't kiddin" type of B.S. media splash is the point here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
 
8,841 posts, read 8,987,866 times
Reputation: 27644
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Perhaps.

People do all sorts of things to help their children gain an educational advantage. I did a ton of volunteer work at my daughter's primary school. She definitely benefited from my involvement. I paid for all kinds of music, sports, and other activities/lessons. She lived abroad and traveled extensively. She had lots of interesting experiences and activities that influences her college essays. All of that stuff helped her college admission.

I am surprised some of these kids could not gain a holistic admission given their backgrounds; especially Olivia Jade. A rowing athlete has more of an advantage in admission than a very successful teen entrepreneur?! Weird.

These parents went too far with the bribes and changing test scores. It is very probable that the lynch mob mentality is strong because these children had very distinct educational advantages and failed to perform, yet are admitted through scam applications.
I have pretty much said what I want to say on this thread. But one comment keeps coming up from different posters that I find annoying. That comment is that the children of these successful people are somehow "non-performers" or intellectually deficient because they weren't in the top 4% of applicants to different schools. Being in the top 4% means that you score better than twenty-four other people.

That is a very high standard and no one, including the child of a movie star, or even a college professor ought to have apologize for not reaching it. In fact, its worse than that. Because low performing people do not even bother to apply. The pool of applicants does not include many C students or those below the 50 percentile mark on the SAT. So, its not 1 out of 25 people in the general population. Its being the top applicant out of 25 applicants out of a group that has already demonstrated some potential for achievement.

There is no need to put these kids down. One issue that no one seems to look at here is why these institutions have small classes and do not choose to expand them with all the quality applications that they do receive. I think its all about being an exclusive school that few people can gain admission too. Employers love to recruit at such institutions because they can tell everyone that they only hire from a particular school and some even boast they only hire those with a very high grade point average from that institution. The students from these schools become a sort of commodity that is sought after by Fortune 500 corporations and such.

I don't defend cheaters or cheating. However, the issue that everyone ignores is why we don't expand opportunities for bright people who don't quite make the cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
 
8,841 posts, read 8,987,866 times
Reputation: 27644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Haven't looked to closely at this case so I appreciate your clear analysis.

A million dollars for bail?!!! That is ridiculous, what is she going to do, sneak across the border to Mx and make her way to Venezuela to avoid extradition? Even if the intent is to financially punish her I'm sure she's already seeing the bank accounts drying up.
I totally agree its ridiculous. She is innocent until proven guilty.

I would expect a million dollar bail if the charge was murder or espionage. Not some form of white collar fraud.

Its not the subject here, but the whole idea of cash bail needs to be looked at closely. It discriminates against the poor. Also, a person is either a flight risk or they are not. If they are not, they should be released pending trial period. They shouldn't have to jump some financial hurdle to stay out of jail.

I suspect bail was set so high for totally improper reasons. Those reasons would be the unpopularity of the defendants and the intense public interest in this scandal. These people may have done despicable things, but those aren't the questions here and now and certainly not before a guilty plea or a verdict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
 
19,207 posts, read 15,852,913 times
Reputation: 36179
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Exactly....proving the point the authorities/gov't were using and blabbing about such a huge number to make it look like they were being serious about it and taking rich whites to the woodshed. What or whatever they paid or didn't pay is immaterial...the fact that the authorities chose to set it that high & announce it as some kind of "see...we ain't kiddin" type of B.S. media splash is the point here.
If that were the case, Felicity and Singer himself would have had high bail too. There had to be a reason why only Lori’s was so high, but I nor anyone here knows why. They aren’t going to single out just her just to make a point about the seriousness of the crime.

Frankly I’m more concerned about bail for regular people, sitting in cells because of a baggie of pot, who have to come up with large sums of cash while the rich ones don’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
 
12,037 posts, read 7,146,575 times
Reputation: 22354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They used their $35,000,000.00 home as collateral. The husband's company is a multi-billion dollar company, and he alone has a net worth of $80,000,000.00. I don't think they are going to have to worry.
His golf clothing company is worth billions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
 
778 posts, read 265,775 times
Reputation: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I have pretty much said what I want to say on this thread. But one comment keeps coming up from different posters that I find annoying. That comment is that the children of these successful people are somehow "non-performers" or intellectually deficient because they weren't in the top 4% of applicants to different schools. Being in the top 4% means that you score better than twenty-four other people.

That is a very high standard and no one, including the child of a movie star, or even a college professor ought to have apologize for not reaching it. In fact, its worse than that. Because low performing people do not even bother to apply. The pool of applicants does not include many C students or those below the 50 percentile mark on the SAT. So, its not 1 out of 25 people in the general population. Its being the top applicant out of 25 applicants out of a group that has already demonstrated some potential for achievement.

There is no need to put these kids down. One issue that no one seems to look at here is why these institutions have small classes and do not choose to expand them with all the quality applications that they do receive. I think its all about being an exclusive school that few people can gain admission too. Employers love to recruit at such institutions because they can tell everyone that they only hire from a particular school and some even boast they only hire those with a very high grade point average from that institution. The students from these schools become a sort of commodity that is sought after by Fortune 500 corporations and such.

I don't defend cheaters or cheating. However, the issue that everyone ignores is why we don't expand opportunities for bright people who don't quite make the cut.
It is not putting these kids down to say they failed to perform at the level required for admission. There are tons of other excellent schools that they could have applied to and gained admission. A solid university education is not out of their grasp. Only the college of their choice was out of their grasp. If you cannot meet the admission requirements then you need to apply elsewhere. Not everyone is going to make the cut at an elite university. Most people accept that and do not bribe/cheat/scam their way in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top