U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

1,316 posts, read 655,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Perhaps.

People do all sorts of things to help their children gain an educational advantage. I did a ton of volunteer work at my daughter's primary school. She definitely benefited from my involvement. I paid for all kinds of music, sports, and other activities/lessons. She lived abroad and traveled extensively. She had lots of interesting experiences and activities that influences her college essays. All of that stuff helped her college admission.

I am surprised some of these kids could not gain a holistic admission given their backgrounds; especially Olivia Jade. A rowing athlete has more of an advantage in admission than a very successful teen entrepreneur?! Weird.

These parents went too far with the bribes and changing test scores. It is very probable that the lynch mob mentality is strong because these children had very distinct educational advantages and failed to perform, yet are admitted through scam applications.
"Financial" advantages is more like it..... "educational advantages" would also apply to low income minorities who are admitted despite lower test scores and accepted (and graded) even when they disparately fail to perform to a set standard.

And anyone who thinks being able to score lower on standardized tests, SATs, throughout high school, etc. is not an educational advantage (as far as being forwarded through the educational systems/accepted into higher learning) is fooling themselves....it shouldn't be...but it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

12,037 posts, read 7,146,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If that were the case, Felicity and Singer himself would have had high bail too. There had to be a reason why only Loriís was so high, but I nor anyone here knows why. They arenít going to single out just her just to make a point about the seriousness of the crime.
I thought hers was set so high because she was originally able to keep her passport so she could continue working for the Hallmark Channel. Obviously her filming schedule with the Hallmark channel has since changed, but that happened after her bail was set.

Maybe the others were told they couldn't leave the country and had to give up their passports?

8,842 posts, read 8,987,866 times
Quote:
It is not putting these kids down to say they failed to perform at the level required for admissions. There are tons of other excellent schools that they could have applied to and gained admission. A solid university education is not out of their grasp. Only the college of their choice was out of their grasp. If you cannot meet the admission requirements then you need to apply elsewhere. Not everyone is going to make the cut at an elite university. Most people accept that and do not bribe/cheat/scam their way in.
Ok, but its not what you said. You suggested they were deficient in some way.

Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

19,208 posts, read 15,852,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
His golf clothing company is worth billions?
I meant Mossimo, which I see he sold. It hardly matters, his net worth is still $80,000,000.00 and the two together have a net worth of $100,000,000.00. They are not going to be living in a mobile home anytime soon.

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I thought hers was set so high because she was originally able to keep her passport so she could continue working for the Hallmark Channel. Obviously her filming schedule with the Hallmark channel has since changed, but that happened after her bail was set.

Maybe the others were told they couldn't leave the country and had to give up their passports?
That makes sense! Yes, the others surrendered their passports.

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
"Financial" advantages is more like it..... "educational advantages" would also apply to low income minorities who are admitted despite lower test scores and accepted (and graded) even when they disparately fail to perform to a set standard.

And anyone who thinks being able to score lower on standardized tests, SATs, throughout high school, etc. is not an educational advantage (as far as being forwarded through the educational systems/accepted into higher learning) is fooling themselves....it shouldn't be...but it is.
This has been argued multi times already, Iím not restating things I already said multi times.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 655,380 times
Quote:
This has been argued multi times already, Iím not restating things I already said multi times.
No one is asking you to comment....my response was to the post by "AnnaGWS".

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

7,627 posts, read 4,947,314 times
Quote:
I meant Mossimo, which I see he sold. It hardly matters, his net worth is still $80,000,000.00 and the two together have a net worth of $100,000,000.00. They are not going to be living in a mobile home anytime soon.
The girl, Olivia, had a pretty decent social media influencer gig going for herself. It was pretty pointless for her to go to college. Both parents didn't go so they pressured both girls to go. Not a good idea.

Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

912 posts, read 184,793 times
Quote:
I still don’t get why she is having hate piles and piles and piles on her when they were dozens of other parents arrested for the same thing.
I'm with you on that.

There are a few of the parents arrested who, IMHO, deserve extra scorn: the attorneys. They are Officers of the Court, and as such they should be held to a higher standard.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

912 posts, read 184,793 times
Quote:
It is very probable that the lynch mob mentality is strong because these children had very distinct educational advantages and failed to perform...
From my perspective, the kids failed to perform because of a fundamental lack of IQ points. They just didn't have the mental horsepower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events