U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

918 posts, read 184,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
One issue that no one seems to look at here is why these institutions have small classes and do not choose to expand them with all the quality applications that they do receive.
Stanford freshman class: 2071 admits
Yale freshman class: ~ 2000 admits
USC freshman class: 8,339 admits
Georgetown freshman class: 3,327 admits
Wake Forest freshman class: 3,604 admits
University of Texas at Austin freshman class : 8960 enrolled (not clear how many admitted)
University of San Diego freshman class: 7,031 admitted

Those are not particularly small class sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

26,423 posts, read 51,197,431 times
A 80 year old family friend volunteers as an usher and docent at a prestigious Jesuit University...

He was telling me his grand daughter who was home school applied and didn't make the cut... she is bright and tests well and has also performed as a child actor in theater productions.

I then said is there anything you can do as you are connected and also an alumni... he said it does not work like that... a little later in the evening he told me the University holds a Thank You reception each year for volunteers and since he is the oldest and also one of the longest serving he was invited to sit at the chancellor/provost table... and he has two tickets.... I suggested he bring his talented and bright Grand Daughter as his date...

To make a long story short the Dean/Chancellor/Provost of whatever the top dog is called struck up a conversation with the young lady and they discussed her home schooling and theater work... he then asked if she had considered attending here... she said yes, very much so but I didn't get accepted... so I am going to community college this year...

The Dean had a few words of encouragement and that was that... about 6 weeks later a letter arrived offering her admission to next year's Freshman Class...

She graduated in 3 years and at 28 has a fantastic job, apartment and well on her career path in Silicon Valley...

Who knows if it was chance or a nudge of fate?

I do feel I helped a little and the Grandfather said it was because of me she was his date to the Thank You dinner...

I'm guessing some would say she got in the back door yet her grades would say otherwise.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; Yesterday at 08:57 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM

8,842 posts, read 8,987,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Stanford freshman class: 2071 admits
Yale freshman class: ~ 2000 admits
USC freshman class: 8,339 admits
Georgetown freshman class: 3,327 admits
Wake Forest freshman class: 3,604 admits
University of Texas at Austin freshman class : 8960 enrolled (not clear how many admitted)
University of San Diego freshman class: 7,031 admitted

Those are not particularly small class sizes.
Except for USC, UT, and USD they are all small numbers.

A question for you? Have these class sizes increased in the last twenty years?

I bet the answer is no. While America's population has significantly increased.

Old Today, 12:08 AM

6,609 posts, read 2,358,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I donít know them personally, Iíve never read anything that states that theyíre arrogant, and thereís absolutely no reason to believe that I know or you know or anyone else knows their motives or intentions or what they find importance in.
I never said they were arrogant. I never said I know what they are thinking, but I did mention what I think are the dynamics - what do we do on these forums if we are not saying what we think.

Old Today, 12:14 AM

6,609 posts, read 2,358,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
This.

The daughters seemed to be treated like princesses on a pedestal. They did not even require them to attend high school classes as often as other students so they could pursue other things like the social media venture. The daughter joked that her classmates probably didn't even know who she was because she was never at high school.

In the videos, Lori seems to treat the daughter with kid gloves like she is this delicate precious little flower of a princess. I don't know, maybe it was just an act for the camera and not how they interact in real life. She wanted her to have this really fun, exciting, relatively easy life raking in cash and fame with the social media pursuits but then also to have the prestige and status of the USC degree without the extremely difficult work and stress of achieving it.

She wanted the pampered princess daughters to have it all and that was her downfall.
This is what I wanted to say, but I just am not as eloquent a writer. They wanted it all, the kids to be princesses with millions of followers looking at their beautiful clothes, their beautiful lives (or imagined), and they really didn't encourage the kids to do well in school as much as on social media, but they did also want their kids to go to a prestigious college. That is my take on it, too.

Old Today, 04:43 AM

2,666 posts, read 639,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The girl, Olivia, had a pretty decent social media influencer gig going for herself. It was pretty pointless for her to go to college. Both parents didn't go so they pressured both girls to go. Not a good idea.

Is career training the only reason to go to college? Is there no value any more to learning for the sake of learning?

Old Today, 05:27 AM

21,168 posts, read 21,290,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Is career training the only reason to go to college? Is there no value any more to learning for the sake of learning?
lol, uh...wut?

Old Today, 08:09 AM

19,214 posts, read 15,852,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I never said they were arrogant. I never said I know what they are thinking, but I did mention what I think are the dynamics - what do we do on these forums if we are not saying what we think.
If people would add IMO then it would be what they “think.” But people state things as facts, they state it as they KNOW their motives, vs what they think are their motives, and that bothers me. Not just on this thread, that bothers me on every thread where I see it. You stated as fact they never encourage their children at school, you have no way of knowing that. You are perfectly free to think that and to express that, but you should frame it as a thought and not a fact.

Old Today, 08:26 AM

7,627 posts, read 4,947,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Oh yeah. Learning for the sake of learning and paying $296K for it. LOL.. That is how much USC cost with room and board.

You can go to your local library to learn. Going to college for the sake of learning is one of the worst financial decision you can make. Colleges/Universities are For Profit institutions.

2018-2019 Undergraduate Estimate of Costs

Tuition (12-18 units for two semesters) $55,320
Fees $905
Room and board* $15,395
Books and supplies $1,200
Personal and miscellaneous $1,452
Transportation $553
Total** $74,825

USC Financial Aid

Old Today, 09:30 AM

918 posts, read 184,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Except for USC, UT, and USD they are all small numbers.

A question for you? Have these class sizes increased in the last twenty years?

I bet the answer is no. While America's population has significantly increased.
The college I was graduated from was small - it had a bit more than 200 in its freshman class. It has since expanded to a bit over 300, and is considered pretty selective (less than 10% acceptance rate). As a donor to the school (I've endowed a full ride scholarship and a faculty chair, and my name - along with others - is on the side of a a new building), I've had discussions with the president of the college and with a couple trustees regarding expansion, and they are coming up on a hard limit. It seems the city has placed a hard limit on the size of the student body to prevent further expansion.

I don't really understand just how this hard limit works and why the city seems to have a strong voice in the matter. It is probably historical and I don't know the context. But my point is sometimes schools don't have as much flexibility as you might think.

According to the following website: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...singly-diverse the absolute number of high school graduates going forward is in a decade-long plateau, after having expanded the past couple of decades. Even so, the percentage wishing to attend college is going up.

Another source - The National Center for Education Statistics, which is part of the US Department of Education, says:

Quote:
The number of high school graduates increased nationally by 25 percent between 1998–99 and 2011–12, the last year of actual data for public schools (table 9). The number of high school graduates is projected to be 2 percent lower in 2023–24 than in 2011–12. The number of public high school graduates is projected to be higher in 2023–24 than in 2011–12 while the number of private high school graduates is projected to be lower. The numbers of high school graduates are projected to be higher in 2023–24 than in 2009–10 in the South and West and lower in the Northeast and Midwest
My point in the above is that generally speaking, as a nation we probably have too many seats in post-secondary colleges and universities. But those seats are most likely at 3rd rate schools.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; Today at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events