Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 05:59 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I disagree with that completely Felicity Huffman was on Desperate Housewives for many years. People know who she is. I don’t know for sure that it’s misogyny, but it doesn’t make sense so it’s as good a theory as any other. I think people love to hate pretty women and girls.
totally disagree OC. first I think one of the problems is because her daughter was such a ungrateful twit on youtube. making videos about how she cares nothing for school and is only there to party. She built her ugly persona all by herself. then to top it off we find out her parents lied and cheated to get her in anyway.

so no I don't hate her because she is pretty, people hate her for what she '"represents'. self centered, entitled rich be-atch.

And let's get real, would she have had those makeup contracts had she not been young, pretty and blonde? without any experience? hell naw. She used her beauty to get ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If you want to believe he was just donating money from his fake charity out of the goodness of his heart, then go for it.

But hopefully all these universities take a closer look at these donations and where they were coming from.
I don’t believe the universities were aware. It doesn’t make sense in any case. If all it took was a fat donation to a university to get a kid in, the parents could have done it themselves. There is nothing illegal about it, and like we said earlier, several polititicians and other big shots are well known to have gotten their place through donation of building and such. Why pay $500,000 for bribes to rowing coaches and test proctors and fake photoshopped photos if all they had to do was write that check to the school?

Maybe he gave some legit donations to keep it from looking suspicious.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
totally disagree OC. first I think one of the problems is because her daughter was such a ungrateful twit on youtube. making videos about how she cares nothing for school and is only there to party. She built her ugly persona all by herself. then to top it off we find out her parents lied and cheated to get her in anyway.

so no I don't hate her because she is pretty, people hate her for what she '"represents'. self centered, entitled rich be-atch.

And let's get real, would she have had those makeup contracts had she not been young, pretty and blonde? without any experience? hell naw. She used her beauty to get ahead.
The daughter isnt getting nearly as much hate as the mom. Some here have defended the daughter but seem ready to stone the mom.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Getting hired due to physical traits and good genes you were born with is not “using her beauty to get ahead” anymore than someone who is 7’ foot is “Using his height” to get ahead in the NBA.

We as society choose this. When Paris Hilton (who I blame for the whole rich party girl bimbo phenomenon) came on tv, if people didn’t watch it would have ended with her. Like it or not, Olivia is what young girls want today. I don’t fault her for capitalizing on it. I think she must have something as she succeeded in a pretty crowded field.

I’m not defending her, but I think the focus would be better on the society and culture that puts the rich on a pedestal. These two are symbols of the problem, but they’re not the problem.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-20-2019 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 09:40 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,643,008 times
MODERATORS: I've quoted from an indictment listed on the US Justice Department official website (www.justice.gov). It is my belief this is public information and not subject to copyright restrictions. If I am wrong, please delete this post.

Quote:
Can you post a link to this? My impression is the bribes were given to individuals not the universities.
It seems to be a mixture. It's in the indictment: https://www.justice.gov/file/1142876/download

There are several references. For example, on page 12 paragraph 31 subparagraph a:

Quote:
CW-1 (cooperating witness 1, Singer) told parents, in sum and in substance, that he could facilitate their children’s admission to certain universities via what he termed the “side door.” He described the side door scheme as a quid pro quo, pursuant to which the parents would purport to make charitable donations to KWF (The Key Worldwide Foundation, a tax exempt charitable organization). CW-1, in turn, would funnel those payments to particular athletic coaches, or to university programs designated by those coaches, using KWF to disguise the nature and source of the payments.
Further down, in subparagraph c:

Quote:
Once parents agreed to participate in the scheme, CW-1 sent bribes to coaches and, in one case, a university administrator, typically out of a KWF bank account. In some instances, he directed the money to the recipients directly, for their personal use, including one receipient (sic) who received bribe payments by mail at his residence in the District of Massachusetts. In other instances, he directed the money to designated accounts at the Universities that were controlled by the recipients...
In the bolded text, payments would be made, for example, to an account at Stanford University for the benefit of the Sailing Team. The coach then purportedly used the money for the benefit of the sailing team in ways that are not detailed in the indictment.

In other cases, it did go directly to a coach. For example, the Yale women's soccer coach, designated CW-3, was personally bribed (from page 15 subparagraph g):

Quote:
CW-3, in exchange for a promised bribe payment, designated the applicant as a recruit for the Yale women’s soccer team, despite the fact that, as he knew at the time, she did not play competitive soccer. On or about January 1, 2018—after the applicant was admitted to Yale—CW-1 mailed CW-3 a check in the amount of $400,000, drawn on a KWF bank account.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:22 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times
Quote:
Getting hired due to physical traits and good genes you were born with is not “using her beauty to get ahead” anymore than someone who is 7’ foot is “Using his height” to get ahead in the NBA.

We as society choose this. When Paris Hilton (who I blame for the whole rich party girl bimbo phenomenon) came on tv, if people didn’t watch it would have ended with her. Like it or not, Olivia is what young girls want today. I don’t fault her for capitalizing on it. I think she must have something as she succeeded in a pretty crowded field.

I’m not defending her, but I think the focus would be better on the society and culture that puts the rich on a pedestal. These two are symbols of the problem, but they’re not the problem.
Oh I absolutely agree, we (as in general society) played a part. but I disagree about her having anything special. she is the flavor of the month, pure and simple.

And it's absolutely nothing new, but I can do two things at the same time. and I would actually have more respect for them if they just say yeah we abused the situation and we're sorry. But noooo, now they are on tv with the "poor me", "my poor daughter" she can't go back to school because she'll be bullied. Give me a &^%& break.

sorry I can absolutely concentrate on the problem will hating those that took full advantage of the situation. It is not an either or situation.

I would not feel one ounce of regret if t he rich be-atch lost everything she had. both of them.

And lastly the 7 footer who uses his height still has to know how to play ball. I can name you 10 7 ftrs who got in the NBA and were a total bust because they still had weak skills.

Olivia got her job because her mama and daddy pulled strings. period.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Oh I absolutely agree, we (as in general society) played a part. but I disagree about her having anything special. she is the flavor of the month, pure and simple.

And it's absolutely nothing new, but I can do two things at the same time. and I would actually have more respect for them if they just say yeah we abused the situation and we're sorry. But noooo, now they are on tv with the "poor me", "my poor daughter" she can't go back to school because she'll be bullied. Give me a &^%& break.

sorry I can absolutely concentrate on the problem will hating those that took full advantage of the situation. It is not an either or situation.

I would not feel one ounce of regret if t he rich be-atch lost everything she had. both of them.

And lastly the 7 footer who uses his height still has to know how to play ball. I can name you 10 7 ftrs who got in the NBA and were a total bust because they still had weak skills.

How on earth do you “pull strings” to get YouTube followers? She got the sponsors because she had a lot of YouTube followers in a demographic that those companies wanted to advertise to.

I’m curious if you’re equally outraged at the wealthy who have used their money and connections for more serious things, such as avoiding the draft? Just saying, a little perspective. Some other kids number got pulled, because that person was able to skirt the law.

These online lynch mobs only serve to distract from the big picture. Yes, they deserve to be punished, but the wealthy tilting the playing field in their favor hardly started with them and it isn’t going to end with them.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-21-2019 at 07:54 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:

They can't just "say yeah we abused the situation and we're sorry." The pending lawsuits and their own pending prosecutions mean that they have to be very careful about what they say. While the public wants a mea culpa, their lawyers want them to stay silent. I do think that Huffman and Loughlin have to become more pro-active in order to save their careers, and I think a good PR person could help them, I understand as well that any admissions of wrong-doing at this point could have major repercussions.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
Considering the Status of the High and mighty [ and $$$$] very little will be done. Maybe a big show, but then nothing will happen.
Wanna bet?

Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
These online lynch mobs only serve to distract from the big picture.
I agree.

Quote:
Yes, they deserve to be punished...
I'd suggest ALL of us (me included) remember that in our country, an accused person is deemed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. While the wiretap evidence in the indictment is pretty damning, I suggest we all take a breath. Let the defendants have their day in court. At least one of the defendants has been arraigned & plead not guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events