Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I agree.

I'd suggest ALL of us (me included) remember that in our country, an accused person is deemed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. While the wiretap evidence in the indictment is pretty damning, I suggest we all take a breath. Let the defendants have their day in court. At least one of the defendants has been arraigned & plead not guilty.
Do tell....how do you think charges were produced if the person is soooo innocent. Most here understand that when appearing at court ..a level of evidence supporting GUILT is eminent.
You seriously think when the uni bomber showed up in court everyone thought him innocent ??

As to the entitled rich in this fiasco...I love that some are hiring crisis p.r. folks. I'd love to hear how they are going to spin this into a better light. Why we thought if Jenny went to college ...she could then go over to Ethiopia to engineer trenches to supply water. It was all for the good of humanity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How on earth do you “pull strings” to get YouTube followers? She got the sponsors because she had a lot of YouTube followers in a demographic that those companies wanted to advertise to.

I’m curious if you’re equally outraged at the wealthy who have used their money and connections for more serious things, such as avoiding the draft? Just saying, a little perspective. Some other kids number got pulled, because that person was able to skirt the law.

These online lynch mobs only serve to distract from the big picture. Yes, they deserve to be punished, but the wealthy tilting the playing field in their favor hardly started with them and it isn’t going to end with them.
Actually I was more vocal as I lost some love ones in Vietnam. first and foremost I am a civil rights baby. my mom was a civil rights attorney in Tennse so yeah I come from a long line of loud mouths.

and perspective has absolutely nothing to do with it. so what I should not be outrage at this nonsense because of draft dodgers??

here's the thing, most humans are quite capable of doing more than one thing.

no she didn't pull strings to get you tube followers but you can bet mommy and daddy dearest did play a part in her getting that Sephora contract

The problem with this situation OC is that it was a clear and loud announcement of "I am better than you and my child is better than you".
It loudly and clearly makes a mockery of the "all men are created equal" belief we hold dear.
It is akin to saying "I don't care about any other student or person in t his country, my child deserves any thing I can get by any means necessary"
What they said is because of no other factor than my kid is rich than there are no rules they have to obey, nothing they have to follow, no person they can't cause harm to.

sorry that is an offensive, dangerous "perspective". I have much more respect for the person who dodged the draft.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 03-21-2019 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 09:59 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I agree.

I'd suggest ALL of us (me included) remember that in our country, an accused person is deemed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. While the wiretap evidence in the indictment is pretty damning, I suggest we all take a breath. Let the defendants have their day in court. At least one of the defendants has been arraigned & plead not guilty.
Yes, you’re right. I was trying to avoid the appearance of sympathy toward them lest my message be dismissed as defense of them as individuals. It’s really about so much more than any of them as individuals.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Actually I was more vocal as I lost some love ones in Vietnam. first and foremost I am a civil rights baby. my mom was a civil rights attorney in Tennse so yeah I come from a long line of loud mouths.

and perspective has absolutely nothing to do with it. so what I should not be outrage at this nonsense because of draft dodgers??

here's the thing, most humans are quite capable of doing more than one thing.

no she didn't pull strings to get you tube followers but you can bet mommy and daddy dearest did play a part in her getting that Sephora contract

The problem with this situation OC is that it was a clear and loud announcement of "I am better than you and my child is better than you".
It loudly and clearly makes a mockery of the "all men are created equal" belief we hold dear.
It is akin to saying "I don't care about any other student or person in t his country, my child deserves any thing I can get by any means necessary"
What they said is because of no other factor than my kid is rich than there are no rules they have to obey, nothing they have to follow, no person they can't cause harm to.

sorry that is an offensive, dangerous "perspective". I have much more respect for the person who dodged the draft.
What multi-million dollar company beholden to stockholders is going to pick someone because she’s the daughter of a Hallmark channel actor??? You can’t posdibly be serious. They don’t name a line of makeup after someone as a favor. They didn’t just use her in an ad, they invested millions in her brand. Businesses would never make such a high cost decision based on that, it’s preposterous. She had 1.9 million followers on YouTube and 1.3 million on Instagram. The vast majority young girls who buy makeup and want to look like her. That is why she had the contract.

To your last statement, just wow to that rather sad statement. Not going to comment further on it.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-21-2019 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,240 times
Quote:
What multi-million dollar company beholden to stockholders is going to pick someone because she’s the daughter of a Hallmark channel actor??? You can’t posdibly be serious. They don’t name a line of makeup after someone as a favor. They didn’t just use her in an ad, they invested millions in her brand. Businesses would never make such a high cost decision based on that, it’s preposterous. She had 1.9 million followers on YouTube and 1.3 million on Instagram. The vast majority young girls who buy makeup and want to look like her. That is why she had the contract.

To your last statement, just wow to that rather sad statement. Not going to comment further on it.
FYI - You can buy followers. There are scam follower accounts that are used to increase an influencers clout with advertisers. Instagram has been cracking down on this. Some famous Instagramers have seen their follower count drop drastically after Instagram deleted sham accounts.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
"We Asked 20 Elite-College Admissions Deans About the Bribery Scandal. Here’s What They Said:"

https://www.chronicle.com/article/We...College/245920

Old 03-21-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
FYI - You can buy followers. There are scam follower accounts that are used to increase an influencers clout with advertisers. Instagram has been cracking down on this. Some famous Instagramers have seen their follower count drop drastically after Instagram deleted sham accounts.
You’re being ridiculous now. Again, just because a person does one thing wrong, does not mean that everything they’ve done has been done the wrong way. This was a field she was interested in so she put effort into it and applied herself and made it a success. By all accounts, she was very good at this. Her line at Sephora was doing well. She was not interested in school, so she did not do well in school, so her parents tried to buy her way in.

PS I think the multinational companies that made these deals with her, not only Sephora but many others including Amazon, Dolce and Gabana, and Tresemme, know that they are doing and whether someone is a trendsetter or not. They’re not going to make someone with a fake account a deal. Her followers liked her, and she was good at branding and marketing. I don’t know why you can’t admit that while still condemning what happened with the college admissions scandal.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:37 AM

67 posts, read 48,441 times
She's a moron who can't sell make-up now because her parents are even bigger morons. Time to move on past this story I'd say.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:47 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
You’re being ridiculous now. Again, just because a person does one thing wrong, does not mean that everything they’ve done has been done the wrong way. This was a field she was interested in so she put effort into it and applied herself and made it a success. By all accounts, she was very good at this. Her line at Sephora was doing well. She was not interested in school, so she did not do well in school, so her parents tried to buy her way in.

PS I think the multinational companies that made these deals with her, not only Sephora but many others including Amazon, Dolce and Gabana, and Tresemme, know that they are doing and whether someone is a trendsetter or not. They’re not going to make someone with a fake account a deal. Her followers liked her, and she was good at branding and marketing. I don’t know why you can’t admit that while still condemning what happened with the college admissions scandal.
I don't think you understand that the poster you just called "ridiculous" was simply making a statement of fact rather than an accusation. No one said the girl bought followers; simply that it can be done. And who knows, perhaps she did.

You certainly seem impressed by a flash-in-the-pain youtube "star," but this kind of "career" has very little staying power.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:52 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,240 times
Quote:

You seem oddly defensive of anything that is written counter to your opinion. Ridiculous, how? I never said she did it nor was I specifically discussing her. I said it is possible for social media influencers to scam accounts. It has to do with fake followers. It has been in the news quite a bit lately.

I lauded Olivia Jade repeatedly in this thread for being a successful teen entrepreneur. I also said I was surprised she could not gain a holistic admission to USC.

You seem oddly ignorant of the power of the very wealthy to give their children a leg up in business or any thing else for that matter.

I guess you think Kylie Jenner got where she is due to hard work alone. She would not be where she is if not for the powerful influence of her very shrewd mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events