U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
 
793 posts, read 268,093 times
Reputation: 2545

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think you understand that the poster you just called "ridiculous" was simply making a statement of fact rather than an accusation. No one said the girl bought followers; simply that it can be done. And who knows, perhaps she did.

You certainly seem impressed by a flash-in-the-pain youtube "star," but this kind of "career" has very little staying power.
Can't rep you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
 
19,240 posts, read 15,869,544 times
Reputation: 36212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think you understand that the poster you just called "ridiculous" was simply making a statement of fact rather than an accusation. No one said the girl bought followers; simply that it can be done. And who knows, perhaps she did.

You certainly seem impressed by a flash-in-the-pain youtube "star," but this kind of "career" has very little staying power.

I'm not impressed by her, I just believe you can condemn an act without attacking her entire life. There is no reason to take away from her what she did accomplish. I just think it's ridiculous the wide net people cast, and as I said before, she is a symbol of the problem, not the root.

Tell the Kardashians social media stardom is short-lived.


The poster made that statement in the context of a conversation regarding whether or not the girl made her own success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
 
793 posts, read 268,093 times
Reputation: 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

The poster made that statement in the context of a conversation regarding whether or not the girl made her own success.
Actually, my response was mostly based on your post below. But you already know what you said. Nice try.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How on earth do you “pull strings” to get YouTube followers? She got the sponsors because she had a lot of YouTube followers in a demographic that those companies wanted to advertise to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM
 
19,240 posts, read 15,869,544 times
Reputation: 36212
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Actually, my response was mostly based on your post below. But you already know what you said. Nice try.

I don't need to try. I do believe you were implying she did this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
 
21,389 posts, read 27,351,245 times
Reputation: 15467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Tell the Kardashians social media stardom is short-lived.

.
You're mistaking television for social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
 
12,076 posts, read 7,157,226 times
Reputation: 22477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You certainly seem impressed by a flash-in-the-pain youtube "star," but this kind of "career" has very little staying power.
You seem to not realize that there are many social media influencers who have been able to turn their YouTube channel or other social media pages into a successful career. They may not all be household names, but they're still making good money through sponsored posts.

https://blog.reelio.com/some-of-the-...s-on-instagram
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
 
21,389 posts, read 27,351,245 times
Reputation: 15467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You seem to not realize that there are many social media influencers who have been able to turn their YouTube channel or other social media pages into a successful career. They may not all be household names, but they're still making good money through sponsored posts.

https://blog.reelio.com/some-of-the-...s-on-instagram
And you don't seem to realize that "reelio.com's" blog isn't exactly an impartial source. You realize they're selling services with that type of post?

Here's some real journalism:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...bleak-stressed

This thing's still too new in our culture to know if it'll lead to viable lifelong careers. Olivia Jade's story shows how quickly a youtube "career" can turn to dust, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Yesterday at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
 
12,076 posts, read 7,157,226 times
Reputation: 22477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And you don't seem to realize that "reelio.com's" blog isn't exactly an impartial source. You realize they're selling services with that type of post?

Here's some real journalism:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...bleak-stressed

This thing's still too new in our culture to know if it'll lead to viable lifelong careers. Olivia Jade's story shows how quickly a youtube "career" can turn to dust, though.

I was using that site as an example of those who have been successful social media influencers. Nowhere did I claim that site was real journalism.

No industry is a guaranteed successful life long career. A scandal can derail anyone's career whether they are a youtube star, a teacher, or head of a billion dollar company.

Olivia Jade started her YouTube channel when she was 14 and has since gained millions of followers. She was successful enough at what she did to get the attention of companies such as Amazon, Sephora, and Tresemme. Was this going to be her lifelong career? Who knows, but it could have easily lead to other opportunities. Think of someone like Lauren Conrad who has books, a clothing line, and a lifestyle website that she was able to start after being on an MTV reality show. Or Jillian Harris and Ali Fedotowsky who both started off as contestants on a dating show. Olivia Jade's social media pages were just a jumping off point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM
 
21,389 posts, read 27,351,245 times
Reputation: 15467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was using that site as an example of those who have been successful social media influencers. Nowhere did I claim that site was real journalism.
.
Just pointing out that the site contains little more than clickbait sales pitches along the lines of every other "making big money doing xxx" and get rich quick schemes.

"Youtube burnout" is a real thing among those trying to use it as a "jumping off point." That a few people (who I've never heard of, but I don't follow tabloids, so...) have beaten the odds doesn't negate the fact that youtube isn't a proven career trajectory and that the vast majority of those who attempt to become "influencers" fail miserably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
 
5,880 posts, read 5,311,585 times
Reputation: 10488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Just pointing out that the site contains little more than clickbait sales pitches along the lines of every other "making big money doing xxx" and get rich quick schemes.

"Youtube burnout" is a real thing among those trying to use it as a "jumping off point." That a few people (who I've never heard of, but I don't follow tabloids, so...) have beaten the odds doesn't negate the fact that youtube isn't a proven career trajectory and that the vast majority of those who attempt to become "influencers" fail miserably.

Yeah most of them do fail, but this one had already found success. I think that's the point being made... she was one of the few that had tons of followers, big endorsements and a sucessful make up line in stores showing her followers were not necessarily bots. Staying on YouTube for years and years is not usually a thing (though there are a few people who have stayed for many years) but it has gotten people opportunities offline if they strike at the right time. Lily Singh just got a late nght talkshow on NBC, the girl who plays Miranda Sings had a show on Netflix, etc. I mean even Justin Beiber started out as a popular YouTuber. Tori Kelly, Shawn Mendes, Alessia Cara... all of whom have been nominated for Grammys and have had hit records... all started as YouTubers.

This girl had a following and family in the industry so she was well positioned to take advantage of the popularity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top