U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 04:51 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,009,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Just think your kid got good grades, SAT score, etc and he\she lost out to this.
Unfortunately, I think this is real life... but just at the college level. How many people have you seen get jobs, positions, promotions, etc., at work or move up elsewhere that didn't really appear to deserve it. There are ways to get around a lot of stuff. Often, you just need to know the right people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 04:59 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,829,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
A coach who just bought a retirement home on the ocean, paid in full and in cash.
Alright, but it goes further than that. Every member of the team is going to know the kid can't compete at the college level. Questions are going to be asked. It's feasible with the obscure Title IX sports I guess. But it requires a lot of folks looking the other way, and keeping their mouths shut. I suppose you're going to tell me entire teams and their families and friends were on the take as well.

Things are a lot easier to fake in an academic setting. Sports and the arts, where an individual has to physically perform at a high level, aren't. That inability is on display to a bunch of people on a regular basis. It's not like sitting at a desk, and failing a written test.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:15 PM

1,136 posts, read 531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Alright, but it goes further than that. Every member of the team is going to know the kid can't compete at the college level. Questions are going to be asked. It's feasible with the obscure Title IX sports I guess. But it requires a lot of folks looking the other way, and keeping their mouths shut. I suppose you're going to tell me entire teams and their families and friends were on the take as well.

Things are a lot easier to fake in an academic setting. Sports and the arts, where an individual has to physically perform at a high level, aren't. That inability is on display to a bunch of people on a regular basis. It's not like sitting at a desk, and failing a written test.
Not necessarily! Years ago there was a dj that put this rap group on blast during an interview. One of the funniest interviews Iíve ever heard. The group (cousins) uncle was the head of their label and had their songs written and auto tuned. The dj asked them to freestyle and they refused. He then played a recording of them trying to freestyle he somehow secured. Too funny! Nobody ever heard from the group or dj after that.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:18 PM

1,136 posts, read 531,599 times
I remember when I applied to college (an HBCU) I was asked if I had alumni relatives or friends to qualify for school scholarships. Since when is that illegal?

Old 03-12-2019, 05:24 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,545,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Would you want this person doing surgery on you. I know I wouldn`t.
Well, supposedly you need superior ability to earn a degree at these competitive institutions. The fact that those who were admitted via bribery were able to get through despite their truly mediocre SATs and mediocre high school grades does say something about these highly selective schools. Apparently, the selective part is admission - once you're in, it's possible to coast through.

So far, we've not yet heard of scandals like this affecting medical school admissions in the US. In the third world, you definitely can buy your degree - and then you can use that purchased degree to get into a residency program in the US! However, affirmative action DOES admit students with lower GPAs and lower MCATs to US medical schools. Some medical students take six years to get through four years of medical school. Some residents have to repeat a year or two of residency training in order to get through. But once they're credentialed, they can practice just as any other physician. And no one knows, and no one questions their credentials. There's not much one can do with an undergraduate degree that would endanger the public.

The fact that mediocre but wealthy students can buy their way into highly selective colleges, and still graduate, confirms that what these institutions are offering, at least at the undergraduate level, is a way to make connections with other wealthy young people and their families, for future business opportunities, and for marriage. The institutions themselves have been selling it for many years - donate a building, and junior gets admitted to Harvard. So why is it any surprise that the coaches and others wanted to get in on the gravy train?

Old 03-12-2019, 06:21 PM

19,142 posts, read 15,820,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Would you want this person doing surgery on you. I know I wouldn`t.
Obviously the person did well enough in undergrad to get into med school, and graduate med school and then pass the medical exam and then successfully complete a surgical internship. So I would not have a problem with it. Again, the kids did not all know that this was being done on their behalf.

It’s already known even our president had the wheels greased for him, I don’t see anyone asking for his degrees to be rescinded.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I remember when I applied to college (an HBCU) I was asked if I had alumni relatives or friends to qualify for school scholarships. Since when is that illegal?
It is legal to have scholarships that are only for alumni.Usually these are set up by other alumni in the form of private donations, it’s not government money.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post

I donít know that anyone actually check to see if they were participating on the team once they were admitted. I have a feeling they were on the team in name only and did not actually show up for the sport.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:40 PM

9,509 posts, read 9,450,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
This is really a major scandal for the US. Dozens of lives will be ruined. Maybe hundreds.

These kids will be expelled (the alumni and correctly-admitted students will insist -- I certainly would), and their names forever tainted, because of their parents' bribery. The reputations of the affected schools also will be tarnished.
After seeing a few clips of the sorts of videos Laughlin's daughter makes, I can't say I'm upset about it.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:58 PM

1,822 posts, read 880,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I donít know that anyone actually check to see if they were participating on the team once they were admitted. I have a feeling they were on the team in name only and did not actually show up for the sport.
Easiest thing in the world. The student shows up for the first game/match/event and then is cut from the team. An injury can be faked, if needed. The student is still a student at the university, he just isn't on the team. It's not like he needs to worry about losing his athletic scholarship...Ö.if Mom and Pop can spend that kind of money on getting him admitted, they can certainly afford to pay his tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events