U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:18 PM

43,371 posts, read 52,279,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Well, supposedly you need superior ability to earn a degree at these competitive institutions. The fact that those who were admitted via bribery were able to get through despite their truly mediocre SATs and mediocre high school grades does say something about these highly selective schools. Apparently, the selective part is admission - once you're in, it's possible to coast through.

So far, we've not yet heard of scandals like this affecting medical school admissions in the US. In the third world, you definitely can buy your degree - and then you can use that purchased degree to get into a residency program in the US! However, affirmative action DOES admit students with lower GPAs and lower MCATs to US medical schools. Some medical students take six years to get through four years of medical school. Some residents have to repeat a year or two of residency training in order to get through. But once they're credentialed, they can practice just as any other physician. And no one knows, and no one questions their credentials. There's not much one can do with an undergraduate degree that would endanger the public.

The fact that mediocre but wealthy students can buy their way into highly selective colleges, and still graduate, confirms that what these institutions are offering, at least at the undergraduate level, is a way to make connections with other wealthy young people and their families, for future business opportunities, and for marriage. The institutions themselves have been selling it for many years - donate a building, and junior gets admitted to Harvard. So why is it any surprise that the coaches and others wanted to get in on the gravy train?
Know 2 Stanford profs who said they were "discouraged" from giving out less than a B.

One was a chem prof. The other taught foreign language.
So not even same dept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 PM

4,616 posts, read 3,937,356 times
A felony is a felony.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,076,100 times
These are just the cases that have been exposed. Who knows the true extent of all this?

Old 03-12-2019, 08:34 PM

1,579 posts, read 739,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Felicity is most widely known for her years on Desperate Housewives. She's also married to William H. Macy, I wonder if he knew?
If the transcripts in the indictment are any indication, he was in it up to his eyeballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I can understand fraudulent transcripts and SAT scores, but don't understand how they can fake athletic ability. What coach would want to carry a slug for 4 years, who can't play?
A coach who received a large bribe. Once the student is admitted, they don't have to stay on the team. No one gets kicked out of school for leaving an athletic team as long as they keep paying tuition.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:38 PM

4,915 posts, read 2,209,568 times
Well, I guess 6.5 million isn't enough any more. Give 65 million and you'll have a library named after you, and your children will get in.

It's long been established what these universities are; at this point we're just determining the exact price.

And don't be deluded into thinking that if the daughter of the yard man gets into Harvard that she will be hobnobbing with the students whose parents are CEOs and senators and Supreme Court justices. No, Maria Elena won't be summering with her new friends Biff and Muffy on Martha's Vineyard. The closed system remains closed.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:52 PM

4,168 posts, read 1,563,261 times
Wait a minute -- You mean a lot if rich kids were going to Ivy League schools, because they're rich? Joe Kennedy sent Jack to Harvard, without pulling any strings?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:41 PM

1,181 posts, read 420,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
This "consultant" must have been some kind of figure. I can't even imagine how you would go about setting up a ring of bribery and fraud throughout multiple Ivy League schools. Yes it's terrible and illegal and I hope they all go to jail, but you almost have to admire the audacity of the scheme. I wonder if organized crime was involved? You'd think there must have been a threat of violence to get so many people to go along with it.
Threats are unnecessary when EVERYONE IS GETTING WHAT THEY WANT!

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 03-12-2019 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-12-2019, 09:41 PM

6,724 posts, read 3,635,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Alright, but it goes further than that. Every member of the team is going to know the kid can't compete at the college level. Questions are going to be asked. It's feasible with the obscure Title IX sports I guess. But it requires a lot of folks looking the other way, and keeping their mouths shut. I suppose you're going to tell me entire teams and their families and friends were on the take as well.

Things are a lot easier to fake in an academic setting. Sports and the arts, where an individual has to physically perform at a high level, aren't. That inability is on display to a bunch of people on a regular basis. It's not like sitting at a desk, and failing a written test.
Why are you assuming they are actually on a team? All the article said was they got a coach to call them "recruited athletes" to get past the school admissions. Doesn't mean they actually every met the coach or the team. Once they were admitted, just cut them from the roster and they continue on as regular students. Probably never even rostered.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:47 PM

6,724 posts, read 3,635,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Well, supposedly you need superior ability to earn a degree at these competitive institutions. The fact that those who were admitted via bribery were able to get through despite their truly mediocre SATs and mediocre high school grades does say something about these highly selective schools. Apparently, the selective part is admission - once you're in, it's possible to coast through.
….?
Where are you getting this information? I didn't see anything about their SAT scores and grades being mediocre. For all we know their grades were just fine. Separate issue from buying admission to ensure they are socializing among the right power players.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:54 PM

4,470 posts, read 3,044,086 times
I wish i had more money than god

i'd sleep in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events