U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 05:38 AM

34,346 posts, read 18,629,007 times

Advertisements

My bet is that this kind of fraud has been going on for years, possibly decades.

It's high time that it gets sorted out. Those who have been fraudulently admitted and are still attending classes should be expelled immediately. As for those who've already gotten degrees, their transcripts should annotated with a statement referring to their fraudulent admission.

In any case, it's good that this is finally receiving scrutiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 06:21 AM

644 posts, read 1,011,539 times
How did it all come to light? I haven't read anything about who the "whistleblower" was? And, why? I read somewhere it's been going on for at least 8 years with this guy (Singer?); what took so long????

I'm also thinking that by next week, you won't hear much if anything about this. It'll be gently swept under the rug at least because of their money and their connections.

It's a shame when I think of how we struggled to pay for our two children's education. No wonder we tend to be cynical!

Old 03-13-2019, 06:24 AM

3,557 posts, read 1,287,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Jail, jail, jail. So tired of these celebrities who think they are better then everyone else. Not only this, but those who think they know whats best for the country, because they are high paid celebrities. Sick of these people.

Jail, jail, jail.So tired of the mindless kneejerk that the only way to solve any of our social problems is jail, jail, jail.

Our entire economic system is founded on the principle that buying favor is the incentive to creating wealth.

Last edited by cebuan; 03-13-2019 at 06:32 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 06:25 AM

1,076 posts, read 502,072 times
Bet Bob Kraft is happy......takes the spotlight off of him. LOL

Old 03-13-2019, 06:59 AM

43,243 posts, read 34,678,228 times
I am a teacher in a program for disadvantaged women - we teach them job and life skills and I LOVE the program. Many of them have not even graduated from high school.

One of the required classes we take in training is a class on social class distinctions, motivations, norms, etc. Wow, what an eye opener. The first thing we do is take a test on ourselves. I found out - no surprise - but I am totally middle class, in spite of our income level and extensive travel and my love of "the better things in life." But my husband and I were raised middle class and apparently it runs DEEP.

One of the biggest things that struck me in that class is "how people think and plan to succeed" from different social classes. For the middle class, it tends to be "hard work" and "pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps" and stuff like "working our way through college," "good grades and honor role," "measurable success" in the workplace, etc.

For the upper class, it tends to be "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Social connections in other words. Who you marry, what fraternity or sorority you join, what school you graduate from, etc. Hence the "debutante balls," and "coming out parties" and why WHICH school you attend is so important, and country club memberships, golf games, etc.

Lower classes often feel powerless to change their plight or path. But what struck me in this class is the importance of story telling, passing on wisdom and insight, including how to "play the system."

No one mindset is superior or more right than another. I just found it very interesting in light of this brouhaha, because as a middle class person, I keep thinking "So what? Get a degree from a different college. Yale? Who cares?" Because I don't care.

I knew someone who graduated from Harvard, because he was brilliant and earned and kept a scholarship, in spite of his very middle class upbringing. Same with my cousin who graduated from MIT on a full academic scholarship though he came from a working class, probably lower middle class background. Both of them felt like they were in completely different worlds in college - and they really were. Meanwhile I went to a community college and I swear it just felt like an extension of high school to me! LOL

One of my best friends was raised in south Louisiana by a single mom, living in a single wide trailer. She was definitely not wealthy. She met her husband in college - he was also not from a wealthy family. But now, like my husband (in the same field, which is interesting - oil and gas so you have a lot of folks from blue collar backgrounds now making a really good salary, owning companies, etc.), their family, with two girls going into college, is well heeled. And what amazes me is how determined my friend is for her daughter to pick the right sorority, to dress and act the part. But she's got to keep that athletic scholarship or they can't afford for her and her sister to both go to "good" colleges. It reminds me of my parents with my youngest brother - there's a big age difference and when I was growing up, we were definitely middle class, but by the time my brother was in high school, my dad was making good money owning his own business, so they sent my brother to a private high school that was very prestigious (I went to public school) and then they allowed him to go to college for five or six years, not working, them paying everything, because NONE OF HIS WEALTHY FRIENDS FROM HIGH SCHOOL EVER ACTUALLY WORKED AND WENT TO COLLEGE AT THE SAME TIME. In fact, what they didn't realize, and what my brother could NOT do, was that after college, these same wealthy friends of my brother now lived on trust funds - they didn't actually WORK. Well, we weren't made of that sort of money. But that's what my brother expected. He also expected to hang with these guys on vacation, doing drugs, partying all the time, whatever - and our family just didn't have unlimited funds for this sort of thing. He could not hang with these guys over the long haul - he was going to have to eventually put that college education to work and, well, WORK. It was a great surprise to him.

All this stuff keeps playing in my mind as I read about this latest scandal.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:13 AM

1,076 posts, read 502,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Jail, jail, jail.So tired of the mindless kneejerk that the only way to solve any of our social problems is jail, jail, jail.

Our entire economic system is founded on the principle that buying favor is the incentive to creating wealth.
Nope......not even worth a reply

Old 03-13-2019, 07:25 AM

4,468 posts, read 1,939,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am a teacher in a program for disadvantaged women - we teach them job and life skills and I LOVE the program. Many of them have not even graduated from high school.

One of the required classes we take in training is a class on social class distinctions, motivations, norms, etc. .
I would be interested in taking that test. Is it available on-line somehow?

I say this because I have a wide range of influences on my attitudes from the variety of class placements even within my own family, adding in the high prole and mid prole attitudes of people I've worked with, adding in the attitudes of the uper-middle-class to oh-my-god-wealthy kids I went to school with, and so on. It would be interesting to see how an evaluation tool would assess the way these have come out in me.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:28 AM

448 posts, read 106,565 times
I do not think anyone should be surprised by the behavior of the privileged. We should just call them royalty and be done with it. I work with many UT graduates that use their diploma as the meal ticket. They graduate some of dumbest people on the planet and these graduates run our country too. The dumb people all jump into the same pool. The HS diploma poor dumb believe the university graduated rich dumb. It is very sad.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:31 AM

4,468 posts, read 1,939,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

One of my best friends was raised in south Louisiana by a single mom, living in a single wide trailer. She was definitely not wealthy. She met her husband in college - he was also not from a wealthy family. But now, like my husband (in the same field, which is interesting - oil and gas so you have a lot of folks from blue collar backgrounds now making a really good salary, owning companies, etc.), their family, with two girls going into college, is well heeled. And what amazes me is how determined my friend is for her daughter to pick the right sorority, to dress and act the part.
I'm afraid the problem is that your friend's daughter's associates in a sorority, and their parents, will encounter her parents and conclude "she doesn't come from our sort of people" and those contacts her mother hopes for her, won't come to pass. Somehow Biff and Muffy will always be friendly and courteous, and they'll invite her to their college parties, but when Biff and Muffy (actually B's and M's parents) invite a few kids to spend a month at the cabin over the summer, it'll be other little Biffs and Muffys that get THOSE invitations.

As I get older I am really starting to realize how much my rich upper class classmates kept a tight circle amongst themselves when it came to the real important things that mattered in the area of getting seriously ahead. They may have had friendship, even affection, for me, and certainly respect, but they were not going to introduce me to their dad's friend who had a large business in need of junior executives. That kind of thing is reserved for the kids whose parents have drinks and cards together every Friday night, not the ones whose parents are elementary school teachers and warehousemen.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:32 AM

21,134 posts, read 21,267,296 times
I can empathize with the privileged children as they have lived their whole lives getting what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events