Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:07 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,946,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why are you assuming they are actually on a team? All the article said was they got a coach to call them "recruited athletes" to get past the school admissions. Doesn't mean they actually every met the coach or the team. Once they were admitted, just cut them from the roster and they continue on as regular students. Probably never even rostered.
Yeah, I had 2 HS football teammates that basically pulled this, with the exception of bribing the coach. They both had good grades and SAT scores, but at highly selective schools probably 4 x as many people have good enough grades and SATs to get in as the number that are actually accepted. So, my teammates, who were decent O-lineman but not quite athletic scholarship material out of HS (but likely would have been with a couple of years of being walk ons) went through the recruiting process and basically used it as their leg up to get into highly selective universities by being granted walk on spots. One did one season and then quit, but still got his degree from a school with an acceptance rate in the single digits, the other called the coach up the day before they were supposed to report for practice his freshman year and told him he wasn't going to play. I lost touch with the first, the second is a surgeon now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 11:23 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,585,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When my kids were in high school, there were companies that you could hire that would teach how to get the best scores on SATs, and how to write applications, etc.

Maybe, just maybe, the consultant who coordinated everything presented himself as someone with knowledge and influence who charged a large fee and promised results. I’m just saying, there are two sides to every pancake. It is POSSIBLE that the people who hired him did not think the money was going to bribe people.

There have always been very rich people who gave a building to schools in exchange for their kid getting in. If you fall somewhere short of being that rich, you go to a guy like these people did. Definitely not fair to the kids who deserved to get it but didn’t.

My parents paid a tutor who specialized in improving high-school students' chances of getting good college admission test scores to help me with my math. I still had to do the work and take the actual admission exams. (my tutor's help did improve my score between PSAT and SAT). I very much doubt that even if my parents had had the money to allocate to give a building to a school to encourage my admission, that they would have done so. It's really despicable, and emotionally crippling to the kids, to ease their way into a college by bribery/cheating.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:24 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,775,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, personally I think they should make the parents go back to school. you spend 6.5 million on a 200K education??

why not just give the kid a million and let him open his own business?
Because the highest value (other than life itself) is not goodness or money or power or beauty or fame or achievement. It is STATUS which is derived as a result of a combination of those things.
These parents didn't just want spoiled rich ordinary children. There are tons of those.
They wanted highly regarded special children from prestigious schools which would give them a leg up on the status ladder.
And money was no object.

I'm sick of hearing the nauseating phrase 'perception is reality'; it is the last refuge of liars and cheats.
When enough people accept such nonsense as true we have entered the realm where delusion reigns.
We're halfway there now.
As for me, I choose the RED pill.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:25 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,661,896 times
For every kid that was fraudulently accepted to college, there was an honest, smart, hard working kid that was rejected acceptance.

Shame on the parents.

What a good example of a truly bad example of people that never should have been parents.

Last edited by 70's Music Girl; 03-13-2019 at 12:03 AM..

Old 03-12-2019, 11:30 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,775,579 times
P.S. Does anyone know if the Freedom of Information Act can be used to publish the names of ALL the clients that took part, regardless of whether they are indicted or not?

Old 03-13-2019, 01:09 AM

4,408 posts, read 3,421,107 times
The scope of this is just shocking. I can envision someone successfully setting this up with one school but this is so far reaching that it’s a wonder this didn’t come to light sooner.

Just a point of clarification because I’ve seen this mentioned throughout the thread: There are no athletic scholarships in the Ivy League. Only financial aid.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,643,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/co...eme/index.html

It's time to revoke the tax-exempt status of private schools. Admissions have become so highly competitive, and so controversial, and so many spots are being assigned to students coming from outside the US, that a first step in righting this is to stop taxpayer subsidy of private education, remove the tax-exempt status of private schools, and suspend public grants to these institutions.

As wholly private, unsubsidized institutions, completely independent of taxpayer support, if they want to give preferential admission to the children of graduates, use racial preferences for admission, decide that their mission is to educate the children of those who hold power and wealth in autocratic societies from across the globe, and sell seats to the highest bidders, so be it. But not with a penny of taxpayer support, and not sheltered from tax liability.
A good start would be the Trump family.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:34 AM

10,932 posts, read 11,660,782 times
This is a simple, but typical case. Wealthy, privileged people, who thought they were above the law, engaged in criminal conduct, and got caught. They will hire 6 figure attorney's to get them off the hook and will, largely succeed. This is America, after all.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:11 AM

8,692 posts, read 4,931,772 times
Jail, jail, jail. So tired of these celebrities who think they are better then everyone else. Not only this, but those who think they know whats best for the country, because they are high paid celebrities. Sick of these people.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 AM

743 posts, read 475,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't see how they can do that. Some of these people might be practicing doctors or lawyers. Maybe one is scheduled to do a surgery tomorrow, and someone's going to take his undergrad degree?
Only schools themselves can remove the degree or invalidate it according to the law enforcement folks that held the press conference yesterday. And something tells me that many of these kids took mostly soft courses and degree programs. I have no idea how many are still in school. Lori Loughlin's kid was more interested in partying at school according to a youtube video from last summer I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events