Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I just heard Hallmark channel fired Lori Loughlin, and Sephora cosmetics stores "ended their partnership" with her daughter Olivia.
A link to Hallmark/Crown Media's statement.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/...ghlin-20190314
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ I hope all attorneys involved are disbarred for their conduct. Unethical conduct like this stuff can get them in trouble with the Bar even if it was unconnected to their jobs.
Typically, an attorney can be disbarred if he/she commits a felony and is convicted of doing so.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 PM

850 posts, read 796,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
A link to Hallmark/Crown Media's statement.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/...ghlin-20190314
Uncle Jessie cant be happy.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:07 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
It’s not even about that. Full disclosure: both my kids attend weathly private middle/high schools. They got partial scholarships because they are smart and score high on standardized tests, or else we’d never be able to afford it. As it is paying our share is killing us. But both schools cost around 30k a year full price.

I don’t think I ever fully appreciated just how detailed and intense this independent college prep school thing is before I saw it up close.

If I listed every little thing they do to prepare kids I’d be typing for days, but the thing is they don’t have to be smart. These schools from the time the students are small, expose them to EVERYTHING- every sport in the world, different forms of visual art, dance, music,singing, anything you can think of. At the slightest hint of a talent the school will do everything possible to develop it into something colllege admissible.

So if your kid is not book smart but can draw? Guess who will spend high school developing an artistic voice and emerge with a portfolio worthy of the best art schools? Kid can throw a ball? They will try every ball throwing sport in the world and end up in the exact right one playing varsity level and with grades that make them NCAA Division 1 eligible, which really isn’t all that high. I could go on. And they will arrive at college knowing how to network with alumni and talk to professors and set up a study schedule and speak a foreign language and use the right fork... every single soft skill they need to succeed.

These kids came through THAT system. Whole teams of school officials met regularly for 13 years and compared notes and strategized about each kid and their needs, painstakingly trying to grow them step by step from kindergarten through 12th grade, though all the kid’s growing pains, moodiness, crisises of confidence, acne, bad breakups, etc. And even with all of that, these kids STILL COULDNT PULL IT OFF.

I mean... they just are not meant for a high stakes college, at least right now. Own it. Don’t go to these lengths. My goodness.
I agree that wealthy kids get all kinds of help that ordinary kids don't get and it does make a difference.

The SAT and other college entrance tests generally test a combination of intelligence and knowledge though. The single strongest factor that determines intelligence is heredity.

You get minimal improvement on these tests by attending test prep courses. However, its gotten to where even public high schools are offering these. I suspect the result is that scores overall are improving on these tests which allows the elite colleges to be even more selective.

I wouldn't call a lot of these wealthy kids who couldn't get admitted to Harvard or an Ivy League school dumb. In many cases, they are bright kids, but being in the ninetieth percentile isn't enough. For example, the UC system is designed to admit the top 7.5% of students in the state. So, being at the 91% percentile on an ACT wouldn't get you in.

George W. Bush got admitted to Yale. However, he was a "legacy admission". I once saw his test scores and grades. They were good, but not phenomenal.

The moral of all this? I don't know sometimes. We live in a very competitive world and we thrive on having the fanciest home and the nicest car. We don't want our kids to be "equal". We want our kids to rise to the very top. Many people will cheat to see that their kids climb the social and economic ladder.

I see the conduct here in very strange way. We can't tolerate it as a society. Yet, we can sort of understand it as a parent wanting the best for their child.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:14 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Yet, we can sort of understand it as a parent wanting the best for their child.
I'd like to think that most parents stop at the point of denying or causing harm to another. I'm sure that's wishful thinking.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
I just heard Hallmark channel fired Lori Loughlin, and Sephora cosmetics stores "ended their partnership" with her daughter Olivia.
Of course they did. No company would want to be associated with this kind of scandal. The Giannullis committed fraud, egregious and indefensible fraud, and they’ll likely serve some time for it. Next announcement? Olivia’s enrollment at USC will be revoked. And Isabellla won’t be far behind. They’ll be lots of similar announcements in coming days.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:38 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm not surprised at all. Many of these schools have acceptance rates of 1% or less of all applicants.
It's not quite THAT tough...

Stanford acceptance rate: 4.3%
Harvard acceptance rate (not in the scandal - yet) 4.6%
Yale acceptance rate: 6.3%
USC Acceptance rate: 12.8%
Georgetown acceptance rate: 14.5%
Wake Forest acceptance rate: 28%
University of Texas at Austin acceptance rate: 40% (but includes automatic acceptances)
University of San Diego acceptance rate: anyone with a pulse or who can fog a mirror

Old 03-14-2019, 04:39 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Quote:
Celebrities live in the world of there is no such thing as bad publicity. This may be just a temporary dip in income for them. They can have a come back here in a few years and make more money.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:48 PM

67 posts, read 48,450 times
At the end of the day, does any of it even matter at all?

Old 03-14-2019, 05:00 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlines View Post
At the end of the day, does any of it even matter at all?
It matters a lot to those who were waitlisted at USC, so Olivia Jade could go play at being a college coed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events