Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,303,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The daughters are basically "walking memes" at this point, no way they were going to stay at USC!
You just had to see that coming no way they were staying there.

The treatment was coming at the big time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 10:03 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I don't understand the Laissez les bons temps rouler attitude of so many people. this crime has long lasting ramifications. It says a hell of a whole lot about how we treat those of economic disadvantage and basically reemphasizes that the entire 2nd paragraph of the Declaration of Independence is a bunch of crap. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Bull, all men are not created equal in this control, that we sell those "unalienable" rights all the time. that if you are right, white and preferably Blonde you are worth more. That's what this scandal has said loud and clear. people always knew that but this is simply proving what we thought. And the worse thing about this is YOU know that this goes on all the time, these are just the group that got caught.
No this crime will NOT have long lasting ramifications, that is the point. That less than 800 students over a multi-year time period got into schools they didn't deserve to be in will have no future ramifications for those not admitted, nor for the ones who got admitted under false pretenses. There may be ramifications for the system, but not individual. It is the top Nothing Burger story of 2019 (so far).

Talk about the Declaration of Independence is way off topic, but I'll gladly engage in a discussion if you create the topic someplace else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I'm rooting for the class action case being formed.
Class action based on what? Are all 30,079 rejected applicants for the Yale Class of 2020 going to claim they were the one person who didn't get in because three other people did? What is the harm done (which is what you need to prove in a cause of action case)? And if you could prove harm, what is the remedy? Assuming that all 30,079 rejected applicants had stellar credentials, SAT scores over 700 per test and GPAs well over 4.0 (a concept I still can't grasp) and they got into Cornell instead, or the University of Connecticut instead, etc; do they get transferred into Yale? All 30,079 of them? Do they start as freshmen or get to transfer in units?

The truth is, there is no tangible harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Because people who are busting their butts with minimal resources to get ahead, including either getting themselves into university, or getting their children in, are getting sick and tired of having the lifestyles of the elite shoved down our throats constantly on TV and the net; seeing people who have made it to the "top" by means ranging from the distasteful to the downright immoral being able to set it so none of their descendants will ever have to work for a living while gold old John and Jane Q. continue to take it in the behind. That's why.
So it really does boil down to jealousy and hatred? You think everyone who made it to the top did it immorally or at least distastefully and that explains why you never made it to the top; because of your moral uprightness and not lack of skills, ideas or ambition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Not when they enjoy tax-exempt status. Once you start asking taxpayers to support those schools, they then have to answer to taxpayers and Congress.
Tax exempt because of being a non-profit is very different from being taxpayer subsidized, as in cash payments. Organizations don't give their rights for being a non-profit.

Quote:
Secondly and probably more importantly, none of this money was donated money to the schools. It was all bribes given to individual people. Really not accurate at all to say donation debacle.
But not all the individuals used the money for personal benefit (meaning the money didn't go into personal bank accounts or suitcases of money under the bed). I believe the USC water polo coach was using the money to help subsidize his program. Non-rev sports are in a constant battle to fund their programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Kids weren't so status conscience back than. I was grateful to be admitted as an undergraduate and made the most out of my experience. I never thought of going anywhere else.
Maybe not in Utah, but 40+ years ago in my elite So Cal high school, the pressure and desire to get into Stanford, Cal, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, et al was every bit intense as it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Perp walks are used as a means to show that even the rich and famous can't get away with everything
A Perp Walk is very different from a guns drawn, multi agent takedown. I hope William Barr reigns in the FBI and issues guidelines on appropriate responses.

Calling the news media and letting them know you are arresting a Hollywood star at 5:45AM, having two agents deliver the warrant and walking the "perp" to the car in handcuffs is sufficient.

Anytime guns are drawn, bad things can happen. The act of an FBI agent or any other LEO merely pulling a gun from a holster ought to be something rare and reviewed when it happens.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Jealousy never looks good on anyone.

Why are you glad that her life is ruined? She's a 19-year-old kid who is being punished for her parents' crimes. She didn't want to go to college, she didn't ask for them to bribe her way into USC.
Saw her video. Spoiled, lazy brat who simply wanted a good time. There are thousands of kids who want to attend college for the right reason. Attending college just to party is a worthless endeavor.

I’m not the least bit jealous of these crappy people. I have more self respect than that. Maybe you don’t.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:13 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Olivia Jade should have just done the social media influencer gig. She has (had) pretty good #s. 1 million plus on Instagram and Youtube. Had sponsorship deals with Sephora and Amazon and probably could have added more as she increased in popularity and reach. No point in going to college when you are making good money already.
As she herself stated, she was going for "Game day and the parties".

Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Saw her video. Spoiled, lazy brat who simply wanted a good time. There are thousands of kids who want to attend college for the right reason. Attending college just to party is a worthless endeavor.

I’m not the least bit jealous of these crappy people. I have more self respect than that. Maybe you don’t.
I do feel a tiny bit sorry for her.

The girl did not want to go to college. She had a successful YouTube channel with a million subscribers and multiple sponsors. She didn't really NEED college at this point because she already had something going on that she could use to spin off into an entertainment/fashion career, which it seems like she wanted. Basically, she was on her way to being a Kylie Jenner type.

It seems like her parents are the ones that wanted her to go, so they made all this happen. And now, her YouTube thing is falling apart as a result.

This chick went to the same private school that Kim Kardashian attended by the way.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I'm rooting for the class action case being formed.
There already is one for $500 Billion!

Lori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman sued for $500 billion(!) over college bribery scandal

Jennifer Kay Toy, a former Oakland school teacher, filed a $500 billion (yep, with a B!) class action lawsuit Wednesday against defendants named in "Operation Varsity Blues," claiming "legitimate applicants to colleges were denied access due to the illegal activities."

Somehow I see some irony in that huge amount of money being sought.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Actually...in Texas, they would be. UT-Austin is a hard school to get into. A lot of children of wealthy parents don't go to UT-Austin simply because they can't get in. It's not unheard of for kids turned away from UT-Austin to end up at an Ivy.

https://texadmissions.com/blog/2019/2/25/recommended-ut-austin-majors-rank-and-test-score-minimums

According to this blog, the non-auto admit acceptance rate for in-state students was 14%. The acceptance rate for out-of-state and international students was less than 10%. In order to gain auto admission to UT-Austin, you have to be in the top 6-7% of your high school class. Given how competitive schools have become in affluent suburbs in Texas, that is not all that easy to do nowadays. UT-Austin itself is an extremely competitive environment where you have to work for every grade, and you can receive a letter grade lower than the letter grade you earned thanks to curves & letter grade quotas. At least that's how it was in the 90s.

Full disclosure: I am a UT-Austin graduate auto admitted under their pre-1997 system.

She went along with it, though. I don't believe for an instant that she didn't know. She had to know that as a mediocre student, she had virtually no chance of gaining admission to USC on her own merits.
She could have believed it was all about the right connections. After all, when she found out about her mom's arrest, she was in the Bahamas on a USC board members yacht with his daughter and other friends. If you already know and hang out with USC trustees and their kids, it would be easy to think you got in because of who your friends are.

I think she did know though, because I thought I read she participated in the fake rowing photo, but I could be mistaken.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Why would anyone watch a video of her?
Because she's beautiful and "cool" to other girls, so they want to see what makeup she's hawking and what clothes she wears. Why did so many follow Paris Hilton?

In any case, she supposedly had 200,000 Youtube followers, so apparently many did want to watch her. I heard many of her followers are defending her, trying to blame it all on mom.

The way the world works now, she'll probably end up doubling it.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I do feel a tiny bit sorry for her.

The girl did not want to go to college. She had a successful YouTube channel with a million subscribers and multiple sponsors. She didn't really NEED college at this point because she already had something going on that she could use to spin off into an entertainment/fashion career, which it seems like she wanted. Basically, she was on her way to being a Kylie Jenner type.

It seems like her parents are the ones that wanted her to go, so they made all this happen. And now, her YouTube thing is falling apart as a result.

This chick went to the same private school that Kim Kardashian attended by the way.
I think she wanted to go because her friends were going there, she just didn't want to do academics.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:36 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,872 times
Quote:
I think she wanted to go because her friends were going there, she just didn't want to do academics.
Since when all this happened, she was on board the USC Board Chairman’s 2000 ft.long, 9 bedroom yacht, which rents for $500,000+ a WEEK, why couldn’t he get her admitted to the school, without all the cheating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events