Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 10:51 PM

10,581 posts, read 5,545,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again the crime they committed was these parents (many more than just Lori L though she seems to be bearing the brunt of the anger for whatever reason) paying the bribes via a sham charity, and deducted what they knew were bribes as charitable deductions.
None of the parents have been indicted for criminal tax evasion. (At least not yet.)

Quote:
The charges are things like tax fraud
Do you have a source for that? I don't think that is true

Quote:
mail fraud, etc. They weren’t charged with any aspect of the actual cheating. No reason to assume when the charges are out there publicly.
The only think I've found is:

Quote:
I make this affidavit in support of criminal complaints charging the following individuals (collectively, “the defendants”) with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1349
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 10:53 PM

3,600 posts, read 1,625,476 times
Sad that a large subset of entitled, cheating uber rich just want to go to the most expensive PRIVATE colleges to flaunt prestige, status, and weath without regard for anything else.

Seems that the PRIVATE colleges are much easier to game by "big donor contributions" and so forth.

I'll take a much more cost effective, well known, accredited/solidly ranked, PUBLIC school with the best fit any day of the week and remain scandal free!

Old 03-15-2019, 10:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,917,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
She went along with it, though. I don't believe for an instant that she didn't know. She had to know that as a mediocre student, she had virtually no chance of gaining admission to USC on her own merits.
Do we know her grades and test scores?

And considering her parents did all the work of getting her in, she might not have done a whole lot of research on the requirements to be admitted to USC. I don't remember looking up that information for the schools I applied to at her age.

Quote:
I thought she was one of the kids that posed for the bogus athletic pictures? I don’t know how you get into a college as part of the crew team and don’t get asked about it in an interview. She had to know.
It was a picture of her using a rowing machine at home. She didn't pose in pictures pretending to be part of a rowing team. Plenty of people that don't actually row have rowing machines in their home gym or use them at whatever gym they're a member of. And no, I wouldn't think anything of it if my parents had a picture of me exercising. She has shared her life on Youtube and Instagram for years. A picture of her exercising would be seen as no big deal.

I doubt she actually interviewed with the recruitment coach. That is what the large bribe was for, so she didn't have to go through the admissions process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
By "Target guy" I assume you mean Massimo? Massimo did go to USC, for three years I believe, but dropped out to found his clothing company. Maybe he regretted dropping out and hoped his daughter would click with school when she got there.
Mossimo.

No, according to Olivia Jade he was never enrolled in college. He told his parents he was enrolled in college, but then pocketed the tuition money. That money was then used to start his clothing company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I’m not the least bit jealous of these crappy people. I have more self respect than that. Maybe you don’t.
I'm not sure why you are questioning my self-respect. I'm not the one laughing at a kid's misfortune simply because she was born rich. She trusted her parents, as most kids do regardless of the amount of money in their banking account.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Since when all this happened, she was on board the USC Board Chairman’s 2000 ft.long, 9 bedroom yacht, which rents for $500,000+ a WEEK, why couldn’t he get her admitted to the school, without all the cheating?
Professor Homayoun Zadeh, now the former chair of the periodontology department at USC, paid $100,000 in bribes to the athletic director to get his daughter into USC as a lacrosse recruit. Obviously, a sport she never played. If a professor was not able to find a way to get his own children into the school without resorting to illegal activity, I doubt being friend's with someone's daughter was going to be a sure way into USC.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,616,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What amazes me is that people are amazed by this.

This was going on in north Dallas when I was a kid. I know of at least two people from the old neighborhood who had ringers take their SATs for them. These are the ones who will actually admit to doing it. I knew half a dozen more in college who admitted that they cheated on their SATs and made up their applications.

People being shocked by this is amusing to me. Rich and powerful people have been gaming the system FOREVER.
One of the ironies is that Rob Lowe's son actually implied he had gone "all out" to study for the SAT. There are many students who go through the pressure of long-term preparation, repetitive re-tests, analysis of weak spots, etc. Back in the early 80s Rob Lowe made this film called "Class" which had a subplot of a cheating scandal on the SAT. This was his scene in that 80s teen classic for being interrogated by an investigator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzlHzRvw-MI

In real life, Rob doesn't seem to be one of those parents with children who cheated their way into college. But he has other failures - the VCR tape scandal of the late 80s (those old enough may recall that news splurge).

As for the girls at USC, one coworker familiar with it joked to me it stands for "University of Spoiled Children". In the case of the scandal and its participants, it sounds like it was.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,262,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Dratss! And here I thought negligence was part of this class action. Yup,by golly they have a leg to stand on. Now go finish your humble pie...
The restitution...? Hmmm getting refunded for the college application fees. Gee ...go have another piece of pie.
Talk about over exaggeration. .who said anything about 30079 students?
First learn how to use the website, then learn the law. Then we can talk.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:49 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,262,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No, according to Olivia Jade he was never enrolled in college. He told his parents he was enrolled in college, but then pocketed the tuition money. That money was then used to start his clothing company.
Cute story, but not true.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:45 AM

50,130 posts, read 35,769,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
None of the parents have been indicted for criminal tax evasion. (At least not yet.)

Do you have a source for that? I don't think that is true

The only think I've found is:
Ok but charges are still related to the way they made their payments and not the cheating itself, correct?

Old 03-16-2019, 06:48 AM

50,130 posts, read 35,769,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do we know her grades and test scores?

And considering her parents did all the work of getting her in, she might not have done a whole lot of research on the requirements to be admitted to USC. I don't remember looking up that information for the schools I applied to at her age.

It was a picture of her using a rowing machine at home. She didn't pose in pictures pretending to be part of a rowing team. Plenty of people that don't actually row have rowing machines in their home gym or use them at whatever gym they're a member of. And no, I wouldn't think anything of it if my parents had a picture of me exercising. She has shared her life on Youtube and Instagram for years. A picture of her exercising would be seen as no big deal.

I doubt she actually interviewed with the recruitment coach. That is what the large bribe was for, so she didn't have to go through the admissions process.

I don’t know her tests scores, I only know what she has said about her low interest in anything academic.

Mossimo.

I'm not sure why you are questioning my self-respect. I'm not the one laughing at a kid's misfortune simply because she was born rich. She trusted her parents, as most kids do regardless of the amount of money in their banking account.
I read they put the rowing machine outside to appear to be a crew event. They took it out of home and took pics on it. She wasn’t in the exercise room or a gym. She never rowed crew ever in her life, but was that ignorant to think she’d be recruited for a sport she never played? C’mon now.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I read they put the rowing machine outside to appear to be a crew event. They took it out of home and took pics on it. She wasn’t in the exercise room or a gym. She never rowed crew ever in her life, but was that ignorant to think she’d be recruited for a sport she never played? C’mon now.
But she wasn't actually being recruited to the rowing team. The couch was bribed to tell admissions that she was. Who nows how much of the process is known to the kids, but it's not like she had to actually go to some team tryouts or even practices. She was put on the recruitment list, not on the team.

I read the picture was taken in their house. I haven't actually seen the picture, so who knows the exact details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events