U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,545,262 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/co...eme/index.html

It's time to revoke the tax-exempt status of private schools. Admissions have become so highly competitive, and so controversial, and so many spots are being assigned to students coming from outside the US, that a first step in righting this is to stop taxpayer subsidy of private education, remove the tax-exempt status of private schools, and suspend public grants to these institutions.

As wholly private, unsubsidized institutions, completely independent of taxpayer support, if they want to give preferential admission to the children of graduates, use racial preferences for admission, decide that their mission is to educate the children of those who hold power and wealth in autocratic societies from across the globe, and sell seats to the highest bidders, so be it. But not with a penny of taxpayer support, and not sheltered from tax liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 10:40 AM

36,210 posts, read 44,371,704 times
Wow, so many questions. What if a student has already graduated? If they are students now, will they be expelled?
I heard Felicity Huffman has been arrested.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:58 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,662,159 times
Also posted this book, The Price of Admission by Daniel Golden, in the thread about this in the Celebrities forum in the Entertainment section on City Data, but the book is worth mentioning here too:

https://www.amazon.com/Price-Admissi...y&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Read the chapter about Brown University. It will definitely open the eyes of anyone who is considering an "elite" school for their college-bound child. Reading this made me realize that those schools are mostly for making connections--not for actual academic rigor and broadening the intellect.

I am thinking about what these celebrities' children must be feeling about now. How terrible must it feel to find out your parents did this to secure your spot at Yale or Brown, mostly to feed Mom or Dad's huge ego and insecurities? That your own parent did not have enough faith or security to believe that you'd get into the school that was the best fit for you as a person?

Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM

23,731 posts, read 4,890,993 times
Hope the perpetrators are humiliated....easy to despise these kind of folks.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 AM

9,490 posts, read 5,204,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, so many questions. What if a student has already graduated? If they are students now, will they be expelled?

Her and Lori Loughlin!

I don't know what to think of the latter (the former, IMDB indicates I have barely ever seen (maybe the X Files and a L&O)).

Don't know what to think because this does seem to be the kind of thing where you must realize you are doing wrong but then, what could you be thinking to do this? Don't know what to think for it shows that Big Brother is indeed out there and for all the things that one is told by others that it is "victimless", "harmless", "they will never prosecute".........well, don't believe and cover your 6.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:59 AM

8,756 posts, read 2,181,999 times
Quote:
I would hope they strip them of their degrees, thats the right thing to do, after all, they didnt earn them, they were bought and paid for. I know they claim the kids didnt know, but I find that extremely hard to believe, the kids would know if they are not taking mandatory exams or tests, they would also have to be in on it, if they are in school due to sports.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM

23,797 posts, read 32,074,327 times
What amazes me is that people are amazed by this.

This was going on in north Dallas when I was a kid. I know of at least two people from the old neighborhood who had ringers take their SATs for them. These are the ones who will actually admit to doing it. I knew half a dozen more in college who admitted that they cheated on their SATs and made up their applications.

People being shocked by this is amusing to me. Rich and powerful people have been gaming the system FOREVER.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:15 PM

42,896 posts, read 51,363,595 times
Wait. So no more Garage Sale Mysteries on Hallmark?

What would Uncle Jesse say?

Old 03-12-2019, 12:15 PM

19,142 posts, read 15,820,127 times
Quote:

And Lori Loughlin. I find that one particularly hypocritical, as she presents herself as Ms. Good Christian, she even goes on the 700 Club.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM

42,896 posts, read 51,363,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What amazes me is that people are amazed by this.

This was going on in north Dallas when I was a kid. I know of at least two people from the old neighborhood who had ringers take their SATs for them. These are the ones who will actually admit to doing it. I knew half a dozen more in college who admitted that they cheated on their SATs and made up their applications.

People being shocked by this is amusing to me. Rich and powerful people have been gaming the system FOREVER.
I think it's less that people are/were cheating to get what they want or just how elaborate this particular scheme was (and the players involved).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events