Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

We have a lot of people that live on the street here in middle Tennessee I have found and getting worse. I know of a mother and her 26 year old son that lives in a car in Florida.

Across some of the biggest U.S. cities, rent prices are continuing to rise for lower-income Americans. Meanwhile, an estimated 553,000 people experienced homelessness in 2018, according to Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) data.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/r...190205600.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 03:54 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Its a real problem, and despite the usual discussions by elected officials to solve the problem nothing changes. Tgere is not one place in the country where minimum wage gets a person an apartment. A possible solution could be using the vast amounts of empty land to build basic housing for people in this situation. There are many cheap yet durable materials that can be used, for those suits in Washington that will howl about costs. People have built tiny homes themselves for a small cost.

The street homeless does not even tell the full story. Many also are "invisible" homeless. They couch surf, live in illegal and unsafe dwellings ( with multiple other people usually) or live in cars and vans. Once in this position, its very hard to get out of it. Even those who work while homeless face challanges that are expensive. Eating out all the time, occasionally having to grab a cheap hotel or hostel, and more medical issues that can result from this life make it hard to save money to escape. The stres is enormous. A large percentage of Americans also live paycheck to paycheck, just one emergency away from disaster.

Best defense is saving money early on in life, which may help during crisis periods like this. Having family and a strong network can help too. Its scary how this can happen to many of us. Life is unpredictable, and something can change very quickly and not for the better.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:02 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
This should come as no surprise considering the absurd cost of housing in places such as those cited in the article (i.e. NYC, Seattle, LA) mixed with paltry salaries, including those in "professional" occupations.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:38 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
It’s getting much worse here in “paradise” as well. In yesterday’s paper there was an article about the escalating rents here in SW Florida. Basic three bedrooms will run you well over $1000 a month. Add a pool and you can be up to $1500. Considering the lower wages paid here in Florida the article stated that housing is running as high as 50% of income, which is crazy! I do know how people pay rents like that, which I’m sure is why the homeless population of working people is growing.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
since they are homeless, that is sad.
we try to help where we can. one example:
once a month, we pay for and prepare meals
for our local homeless shelter (for men only).

which brings up my enduring question:
why, exactly, are these men (mostly) homeless?
taking their word for it: drugs, drinking, etc.
mental illness is not even in the top five.
if these are actual facts, then i see the
homeless population DEcreasing due to
the high-powered drugs available and
the inevitable overdoses.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:36 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
which brings up my enduring question:
why, exactly, are these men (mostly) homeless?
The answer is pretty clear in the article cited here and the discussion: earning enough for rent can be difficult to impossible. No need for drugs, alcohol, felony record, mental illness or all the other convenient excuses. People who work, and work hard, and work full time or more, can't afford rent.

I don't think building vast "projects" out in "the empty space" is even on the right road to a solution. If there were jobs out in those empty places, the situation would be self-correcting.

But that's what's become more and more evident: there aren't enough jobs, the number has been declining in real terms for a while, and there is no simple fix.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:37 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The answer is pretty clear in the article cited here and the discussion: earning enough for rent can be difficult to impossible. No need for drugs, alcohol, felony record, mental illness or all the other convenient excuses. People who work, and work hard, and work full time or more, can't afford rent.

I don't think building vast "projects" out in "the empty space" is even on the right road to a solution. If there were jobs out in those empty places, the situation would be self-correcting.

But that's what's become more and more evident: there aren't enough jobs, the number has been declining in real terms for a while, and there is no simple fix.
And the jobs that are available don't pay well and many of them are day labor jobs or part time. It's a horrible mess. At my grandson's school a family sleeps in an old RV in front of the school every night. The dad actually has a job and they don't look like drug addicts or alcoholics and it's clear that they make a real effort to send their kids to school in clean clothes. It just makes me feel awful that people have been reduced to that. In this area (suburban Sacramento) four or five years ago you could rent a two bedroom apartment for $700-$900, now they rent for $1300-$1500. I don't know how or when it ends...it's really tragic.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:16 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
It’s getting much worse here in “paradise” as well. In yesterday’s paper there was an article about the escalating rents here in SW Florida. Basic three bedrooms will run you well over $1000 a month. Add a pool and you can be up to $1500. Considering the lower wages paid here in Florida the article stated that housing is running as high as 50% of income, which is crazy! I do know how people pay rents like that, which I’m sure is why the homeless population of working people is growing.
Miami ranks number one, or was at least, for people spending the highest percent of their income on housing.

Rent is getting crazy, I own now thankfully.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:23 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XShc_KPeanc

LA is right up there with the number of homeless. You can chose between many YouTube videos of all the encampments.

My feeling is that these cities should look at pod housing like in Japan and supply common restrooms. Sewage is a big problem both for the homeless and the residents that have to live and work in that area. Of course there are many homeless that have mental problems and that is harder to address. I would think that there should be some way to put this potential workforce to work cleaning up their area instead of creating squalor? Maybe the cities could have requirements for homeless that wanted a pod to sleep?

Old 01-15-2019, 09:23 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

And so it becomes apparent what affect robotics/automation, offshoring, acceptance of the drug culture, and allowing forty million undocumented aliens into the U.S over the past fifty years has had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events