U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:16 PM

21,188 posts, read 21,309,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Ok then 30.
but once you hit really old age like 55, you can vote, but it won't be counted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 05:32 PM

3,482 posts, read 7,819,483 times
Lets face it she had a really rotten so-called friend - I would stay away from the crazy girl and would not let my children near her.

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

1,204 posts, read 756,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's a poor example. 99+% of the time driving drunk has no consequences, and when it does have consequences usually it's only the driver who suffers them. Negative consequences for someone else were much more likely in this case.
Um, what? Yeah, tell that to my family members who were in an accident because of a drunk driver and ended up with injuries.

As for this story, I'm afraid of heights, had I been up there and someone pushed me before I was ready to jump, I'd be livid. But I'm sure the stupid teen didn't think about actual consequences before "jokingly" pushing her friend off.

Old Today, 10:20 AM

75,938 posts, read 67,833,894 times
Quote:
That's a poor example. 99+% of the time driving drunk has no consequences, and when it does have consequences usually it's only the driver who suffers them. Negative consequences for someone else were much more likely in this case.
If what you say is true, LE wouldn't bother to have DUI checkpoints, or to stop anyone they see driving erratically. If the odds were overwhelmingly in favor of no one but the driver getting hurt, why cite people for DUI? Why impound their cars and revoke their license? In fact, DUI used to be treated casually, and wasn't considered a crime, until Mothers Against Drunk Driving presented statistics and experience contrary to what you're saying, and authorities listened, and new laws and procedures were enacted.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

797 posts, read 268,863 times
Quote:
Tell that to my daughter. Her 22 year old best friend died while driving drunk (single car crash - he hit a tree). She, as well as his family and friends, has had a hard time dealing with his untimely death.

Drunk driving is not a victim-less crime. They account for ~30% of highway fatalities.

"According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 37,133 people died in traffic crashes in 2017 in the United States (latest figures available), including an estimated 10,874 people who were killed in drunk driving crashes involving a driver with an illegal BAC (.08 or greater)."

Old Today, 11:43 AM

8,167 posts, read 5,507,909 times
Quote:
Do you mean for the drunk driver, or other people? I don't know where you live, but in my state drunk driving has some fairly strong penalties. Especially for the 2nd & 3rd offenses. Heavy fines & long suspensions of licenses, and in some cases jail time, are the common outcome. Having said that, I would not be against even harsher penalties for habitual offenders. If they are in prison for 10 years, that's 10 years the public doesn't have to worry about being injured or killed by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or