U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 03:20 PM

12,153 posts, read 5,785,692 times

Advertisements

This is why I’m getting an annuity, spend money for SPIA is not wise, but I could get conned when I’m old and feeble. They have to con me month by month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 PM

5,086 posts, read 4,602,252 times
Sometimes love hurts.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:10 PM

879 posts, read 499,694 times
There's a lady in our church, divorced for many years, who is retired from a government job with a pension. Poor thing has a lot of health issues and is quite overweight yet didn't think anything of it when she was pursued on Match.com by a very fit ex-military man who was "doing contract work overseas". She told everyone about her boyfriend, how they would soon meet, etc. Fortunately a cop and his wife have taken her in as a surrogate aunt/grandma and they warned her about never sending money. Sure enough, internet boyfriend told her he needed $2000 to fly back to the states as there was a glitch with his job payments. She was devastated. Truth is loneliness is very powerful and when you want something bad enough you can set aside all reason with hope that a relationship just might be true.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:20 AM

366 posts, read 133,329 times
How many heads of hair did she have to style to earn $273K in after tax money? I'm guessing 5 years of labor. REAL people who ask to borrow money are just plain mooches. I would say to them "Who am I? One of your parents?"

Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 AM

2,878 posts, read 1,474,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
How many heads of hair did she have to style to earn $273K in after tax money? I'm guessing 5 years of labor. REAL people who ask to borrow money are just plain mooches. I would say to them "Who am I? One of your parents?"
Agree. Thatís why Iím convinced there has to be something more to the story (we will probably never know what that is). I just canít believe it is as simple as a woman dumping a lump sum of $273K into a foreign bank account of a man she met online (and never actually met in person). If the woman were a billionaire with money to burn, it would be one thing. But she was giving up her entire savings for someone she never met. That just doesnít add up, unless there was also mental health issues and she wasnít in sound mind.

An average (non-rich) person of sound mind would feel a little nervousness/apprehension doing something like this for a loved one, although we would do it for sure if we had the means. But for essentially a complete stranger; I canít see how a non-rich person could go through with this. Again, we may never know the true story, but I canít comprehend the story as it is portrayed.

It would even make more sense if the money had been provided in increments over a period of time. But a non-rich person just dumping a lump sum of $273K into a foreign account of someone theyíve never met in person.........????

Old 04-03-2019, 10:58 AM

11,892 posts, read 9,897,774 times
I didn't dig into the details here but did she actually prove how much she gave him? Maybe she's trying to drum up some sympathy. As I've said before she had more net worth than most people in the world (as a hair stylist) and wasn't smart enough to see what was going on?

Old 04-04-2019, 07:04 AM

44,700 posts, read 33,327,872 times
How many 56 year old hair dressers have $273,000 in liquid cash?

How exCtly does someone who managed to accumulate $273,000 in liquid cash place trust in someone she has never met?

How many people with $273,000 in liquid cash would not pause when asked to wire funds to a foreign bank account?

Story, as reported, does not ring entirely true, to me.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:08 AM

44,700 posts, read 33,327,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Agree. Thatís why Iím convinced there has to be something more to the story (we will probably never know what that is). I just canít believe it is as simple as a woman dumping a lump sum of $273K into a foreign bank account of a man she met online (and never actually met in person). If the woman were a billionaire with money to burn, it would be one thing. But she was giving up her entire savings for someone she never met. That just doesnít add up, unless there was also mental health issues and she wasnít in sound mind.

An average (non-rich) person of sound mind would feel a little nervousness/apprehension doing something like this for a loved one, although we would do it for sure if we had the means. But for essentially a complete stranger; I canít see how a non-rich person could go through with this. Again, we may never know the true story, but I canít comprehend the story as it is portrayed.

It would even make more sense if the money had been provided in increments over a period of time. But a non-rich person just dumping a lump sum of $273K into a foreign account of someone theyíve never met in person.........????
Iím with you on this.

I am not feeling this story, as reported.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:10 AM

5,764 posts, read 2,037,857 times
I once had a college instructor who was Chinese. She had told us that it was customary, in extended Chinese families, to send a family member to America, and then all the other family members...aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., to send this person 10% of their income, until the person in America was well established...and then that person would send for another family member in China, and it starts all over again.

I bring this up, because this lady's last name is Yin. To me, that sounds Asian...maybe Chinese?

And maybe a good chunk of that money was money contributed by extended family.

And maybe Ms. Yin isn't as simple and gullible as she lets people believe, and she's sunk this money into an off-shore account somewhere.

Meanwhile, her extended family is led to believe that Ms. Yin lost all the money on a foolish cause, and they're angry of course...but what can they do? The money is gone.

Except it isn't. The article I read said she was a caregiver for someone...her mom or her dad? I forget. So when mom (or dad) dies, she'll pack it up and move to the Virgin Islands or something, with all the money.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,426,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I once had a college instructor who was Chinese. She had told us that it was customary, in extended Chinese families, to send a family member to America, and then all the other family members...aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., to send this person 10% of their income, until the person in America was well established...and then that person would send for another family member in China, and it starts all over again.

I bring this up, because this lady's last name is Yin. To me, that sounds Asian...maybe Chinese?

And maybe a good chunk of that money was money contributed by extended family.

And maybe Ms. Yin isn't as simple and gullible as she lets people believe, and she's sunk this money into an off-shore account somewhere.

Meanwhile, her extended family is led to believe that Ms. Yin lost all the money on a foolish cause, and they're angry of course...but what can they do? The money is gone.

Except it isn't. The article I read said she was a caregiver for someone...her mom or her dad? I forget. So when mom (or dad) dies, she'll pack it up and move to the Virgin Islands or something, with all the money.

Well this would sure be an interesting twist to the story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or