U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

2,833 posts, read 1,436,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I have an elderly SIL that was scammed out of at least a quarter of a mil over the course of a couple of years, lost a paid for condo and a nice townhome as a result, ended up basically homeless. And if you gave her $5,000 today, she would send it to the scammer in a heart beat. She is now about 90, but is not dense or stupid or etc.

Also, have a distant relative that has her own nail/hair salon, always drives a new BMW, has a really, really nice house, and thinks nothing of flying across the country for the weekend. She's never been scammed, but I suspect she could pony up the $237k if required. Just sayin'
I have a good Vietnamese friend (known since elementary school) whose parents own a hair/nail salon in the DC suburbs. They had a respectable business but were not rich by an means. They were able to help send their kids to college after working for years, but lived the middle class lifestyle other than that. So I guess like every business, financial success varies. Not saying that you canít have a bmv being a nail/hair salon owner but I donít think the majority are driving around in BMVs and jet setting across the world. Otherwise people would be lining up to own one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

5,451 posts, read 1,930,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have a good Vietnamese friend (known since elementary school) whose parents own a hair/nail salon in the DC suburbs. They had a respectable business but were not rich by an means. They were able to help send their kids to college after working for years, but lived the middle class lifestyle other than that. So I guess like every business, financial success varies. Not saying that you canít have a bmv being a nail/hair salon owner but I donít think the majority are driving around in BMVs and jet setting across the world. Otherwise people would be lining up to own one!

Somewhere in the article, it said that the $237,000 was her life savings.

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

11,735 posts, read 9,751,514 times
This doesn't really add up. If someone manages to save $273K over the course of their life by age 56 they are doing better than most of the population. How could they suddenly forget everything they learned to save up that $273K and give it all away for a love they've never met in person?

Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This doesn't really add up. If someone manages to save $273K over the course of their life by age 56 they are doing better than most of the population. How could they suddenly forget everything they learned to save up that $273K and give it all away for a love they've never met in person?
Exactly. That is what I am trying to figure out. Something isnít adding up. This happens pretty commonly, but itís usually not to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. She had only known him for 5 weeks, never met him, and just drops almost $300K (her life savings) into his bank account???? Like I said, if she had given him $1000 I wouldnít blink an eye, but $300K is just difficult to fathom in this scenario.

The article was so short that it doesnít explain in detail how this happened. It would be nice to know those missing details.

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

5,883 posts, read 4,716,626 times
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...money?page=112

Read the comments to this blog on the federal trade commission page. Over 100 pages of people being conned by these online love interests.

I started reading this so I could find more evidence to show my friend, but I’ve kind of just given up.

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

8,661 posts, read 7,908,244 times
I get single, male requests all the time on facebook. For fun sometimes I'll accept the friendship to see what they say (every once in a blue moon it is someone I actually know) and the ones I don't know, always send me an IM starting out, "Hello, dear."

Why do they always call me dear?

Many are current or former military and many are widowed.

Delete immediately. Block immediately.

How can you NOT see these are scams?

Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...money?page=112

Read the comments to this blog on the federal trade commission page. Over 100 pages of people being conned by these online love interests.

I started reading this so I could find more evidence to show my friend, but Iíve kind of just given up.
Yes, the online dating scams are very common. I just can't fathom and have never heard of a scam to the tune of almost $300K in this story. That large of a scam, while there may be a few examples, I would hope is not common. I guess this story reinforces to NEVER under any circumstances give away money to someone you have never met. I would never do it to begin with, but I guess stories like this happen???

Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

11,031 posts, read 19,766,034 times
My MIL got scammed by a younger guy, in person rather than online. She married him and he took everything she had except her house and her pension. He married 5 other older women within 2 years. MIL said he was a beautiful man, very sweet, and they had a passionate relationship, so she believed they were in love.

Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM

52 posts, read 1,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek
Indeed.... Its sad how many people forget the internet is the same ppl they deal with in person!!

Ya cant trust things like that!!

Its too bad she cant get at least SOME of her $$$$$$ back.......

Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM

2,788 posts, read 980,897 times
It's a fact that women run on their emotions far more than do men (males and females ARE psychologically as well as biologically different from one another) and are more likely to be the target for these kinds of scams. Some women, many women, will give up pretty much everything simply 'to be loved'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or