U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

24,037 posts, read 5,914,050 times

Advertisements

Two people have commented on me saying in my post, 'but what can you do?' This is an English saying used when people do something that doesn't make sense. Saying, 'but what can you do' means idiots can't be prevented from doing stupid things.

Just thought I'd clear that up......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

75,906 posts, read 67,809,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Two people have commented on me saying in my post, 'but what can you do?' This is an English saying used when people do something that doesn't make sense. Saying, 'but what can you do' means idiots can't be prevented from doing stupid things.

Thanks. Sometimes communications across the pond require translation.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM

75,906 posts, read 67,809,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Right. For all of the reasons you mentioned, is why I said that something in this story just doesn’t add up Maybe it is actually more involved than what was reported in the brief article?
Yahoo News? I think it was taken from a local TV news station, though. Well, in any case, that poor woman is now out of her entire retirement savings. In her mid-50's, she doesn't have a lot of time to rebuild that.

The Chinese must assume that a lot of Americans find military men attractive. Even ones who are a fraction of the age of their targets. The whole story is so odd...

Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,349,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
But what can you do??? How about using common sense and never giving away money or any personal information to someone you don't actually know (have never met in person). That's a simple start.

Even then, dating and getting to know them as a person before making any big commitments (like giving someone thousands of dollars) would be ideal, but the least a person can do is meet (and talk to someone) face to face before doing anything rash.

Start with Skype/ FaceTime as a screening tool and make sure they are the same person in the online pictures. Then meet face to face. Those basic common sense screening methods would weed out the vast majority of scammers. Being scammed by someone you've met in person is different and may be a little more difficult.

But doing basic things would have prevented the woman in this case from giving away her life savings (almost $300K) to someone she never met.
Why so outraged about a rhetorical question? Perhaps English is not your native language (just guessing since your screen name is French for "nobody"). Calm down. It's a colloquial expression that English speakers understand is not intended to be taken literally.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,712 posts, read 32,806,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Why can't I ever find these women? I could sure use the money.....
Can't recommend this. If you live in this country and you pull this stunt on a US-based person, you'd be looking at Federal charges for wire fraud. Hard to picture a scenario where the Federal judge or jury would be the least bit sympathetic to a ********* who preyed upon the lovelorn. (edit - That filtered word is not a profanity, it's a word that means a person who commits fraud.)

Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,349,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
???
You can say no. now I am naturally cheap, so the nanosecond some one asks me for money my radar goes up.

Case in point, I was chatting with a gentlemen off of match, very nice sounding until..... for some reason he kept asking me to send him pictures. humm no. first he said it was because so many people on line use old pictures that did not look like them now. Ok sounds plausible, so I took a picture in front of city hall with the date and time behind me, posted it on match.

He kept asking for more pictures, finally I said, "I do not send pictures to people I do not know", that if he was interested in getting to know me, we could arrange a meet and greet. period.

we did meet and we really didn't connect but the point is, I establish boundaries immediately. it's easy and weeds out those that I'm suspect about.

If someone ask you for money a simple "sorry I do not send money to strangers, EVER" and hang up.
Again, to a native English speaker, "what can you do" is clearly not a question expecting an answer but an expression of the futility of trying to deal with the entirety of this sort of situation.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

3,347 posts, read 1,357,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Can't recommend this. If you live in this country and you pull this stunt on a US-based person, you'd be looking at Federal charges for wire fraud. Hard to picture a scenario where the Federal judge or jury would be the least bit sympathetic to a ********* who preyed upon the lovelorn. (edit - That filtered word is not a profanity, it's a word that means a person who commits fraud.)
1. My post was a joke. You can look it up.
2. Most victims will never report the loss because they don't want the embarrassment
3. It happens in the US all the time. If you believe otherwise, please send me $10,000.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

42 posts, read 12,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I get single, male requests all the time on facebook. For fun sometimes I'll accept the friendship to see what they say (every once in a blue moon it is someone I actually know) and the ones I don't know, always send me an IM starting out, "Hello, dear."

Why do they always call me dear?

Many are current or former military and many are widowed.

Delete immediately. Block immediately.

How can you NOT see these are scams?
I have started getting these in the past year... Three or four each week on Facebook, always widowed, always working overseas, almost always former military. And their Facebook account was just set up in the past two days, and they have zero "friends" (or maybe a few that are clearly from a foreign country), and they are always well educated and have pictures of them with their kids or grandkids.

I guess this is a clear sign that I am now considered one of those "women of a certain age?" HA! I'm 46. But I don't ever hear of these scammers sending "friend" requests to my 20- or 30-something co-workers.

My husband works at a bank. When anyone comes in to wire money overseas, the tellers are required to ask if they know the person, if this could be a scam, etc. Every single one of the customers lies, even though the bank is trying to protect them. And every single one of them somehow tries to spread some of the blame to the bank after the scam is figured out: "Why didn't the bank tell me this could be a scam? WAAHHHH!"

Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

9,517 posts, read 5,223,078 times
Well, in the words of Romana II......."he told you what you wanted to hear!" (The Horns of Nimon)

Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

2,835 posts, read 1,438,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Why so outraged about a rhetorical question? Perhaps English is not your native language (just guessing since your screen name is French for "nobody"). Calm down. It's a colloquial expression that English speakers understand is not intended to be taken literally.
English Dave- my apologies. The phrase was lost in translation (actually on second read, I just read it incorrectly). I'm glad you took it in good stride, unlike this other poster.

To Chaofan....your guess is wrong. English is my first language. Now take your own advise, and CALM DOWN!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or