U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

2,697 posts, read 1,269,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Two people have commented on me saying in my post, 'but what can you do?' This is an English saying used when people do something that doesn't make sense. Saying, 'but what can you do' means idiots can't be prevented from doing stupid things.

Just thought I'd clear that up......
lol, smack on the head for me. Your name says it right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

2,697 posts, read 1,269,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Again, to a native English speaker, "what can you do" is clearly not a question expecting an answer but an expression of the futility of trying to deal with the entirety of this sort of situation.
I got it. I apologies. I didn't see he was from the UK

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

7,638 posts, read 4,953,554 times
That dude or lady has a lot of game and extremely evil.. 5 weeks and then con someone out of $273K.

I feel sorry for Yin but damn how desperate were you that you sent a COMPLETE STRANGER $273K for "love". That was probably her entire life savings.

"Five weeks into the online relationship, Perez told Yin he was being deployed on a clandestine mission to Afghanistan and he needed money deposited into a Chinese bank account. “I know you’re doing everything to help me, but I just want you to try your best,” Perez wrote to Yin, according to ABC 7. After sending Perez a total sum of $273K, the couple planned to meet at a seafood restaurant in Oakland to celebrate Yin’s birthday. But Perez stood her up."

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

12,835 posts, read 8,111,197 times
You know what?
Something is wrong. I don't buy her story.
*She's in Oakland; he's in San Francisco. Jeez, just go over the bridge and meet! It's not that far.
* Then there is the question of a hairstylist have 273K to send. Not that I want to throw rocks at hairstylists, but usually one with 273K in the bank, well, isn't really a hairstylist.
Something is wrong. The story didn't really tell us much, so we don't know, but as it's written?......... Nah.

Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

5,066 posts, read 4,956,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Two people have commented on me saying in my post, 'but what can you do?' This is an English saying used when people do something that doesn't make sense. Saying, 'but what can you do' means idiots can't be prevented from doing stupid things.

Just thought I'd clear that up......
Not sure why the Americans are confused---we say this too and it means the same thing.

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

5,469 posts, read 1,934,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I got it. I apologies. I didn't see he was from the UK

I'm not from the UK, but understood the term. It's similar to saying "It is what it is".

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

1,827 posts, read 1,886,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This has been going on for a while, and people still continue to get scammed by these online dating things.

No matter how many times you warn people, they just don't get it (or want to get it).

This lady is out of $273K and out of luck (since she sent the money over willingly, nothing anyone can do about it).

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...194204255.html
ok, i dont want to offend anyone but shes a grown woman, not a teenager. at her age she should have known better. it's her fault

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

7,638 posts, read 4,953,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You know what?
Something is wrong. I don't buy her story.
*She's in Oakland; he's in San Francisco. Jeez, just go over the bridge and meet! It's not that far.
* Then there is the question of a hairstylist have 273K to send. Not that I want to throw rocks at hairstylists, but usually one with 273K in the bank, well, isn't really a hairstylist.
Something is wrong. The story didn't really tell us much, so we don't know, but as it's written?......... Nah.
I agree with you. After 5 weeks, an internet paramour ask for 273K and this lady just gives it to him. Never met in person, not sure if they talked over the phone, etc. Not too many details about how they went on with their relationship.

This lady lives in CA no men in her area showed any interest in her??

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

2,001 posts, read 3,462,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
My thoughts exactly. But then I thought about how much money my wife pays for a simple haircut.

I shoulda gone to Beauty School instead of Business School.
That's what I'm starting to think to, but then again the school I went to was saying that I'd be pulling in some good money....still waiting on that

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

2,835 posts, read 1,438,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Not sure why the Americans are confused---we say this too and it means the same thing.

The term is common, and makes perfect sense re-reading. I apologized and admitted that I read it incorrectly on my first read (was reading quickly from an IPhone). So this American isn’t confused...can we let this go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or