U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 12:06 PM

24,048 posts, read 5,917,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
English Dave- my apologies. The phrase was lost in translation (actually on second read, I just read it incorrectly). I'm glad you took it in good stride, unlike this other poster.

To Chaofan....your guess is wrong. English is my first language. Now take your own advise, and CALM DOWN!!!
No problem at all personone. Sometimes, I type away using expressions unfamiliar to folks in other countries.

I sometimes even use cockney rhyming slang, which few understand outside England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 12:07 PM

11,742 posts, read 9,765,403 times
I too, an American, am completely understanding of the phrase "But what can you do".

Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 PM

75,935 posts, read 67,833,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I too, an American, am completely understanding of the phrase "But what can you do".
I don't think it has the same nuance in American English.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:34 PM

25,090 posts, read 32,149,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This doesn't really add up. If someone manages to save $273K over the course of their life by age 56 they are doing better than most of the population. How could they suddenly forget everything they learned to save up that $273K and give it all away for a love they've never met in person?
People do the stupidest **** for the stupidest reasons. Itís part of what makes us human, unfortunately.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:38 PM

75,935 posts, read 67,833,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You know what?
Something is wrong. I don't buy her story.
*She's in Oakland; he's in San Francisco. Jeez, just go over the bridge and meet! It's not that far.
* Then there is the question of a hairstylist have 273K to send. Not that I want to throw rocks at hairstylists, but usually one with 273K in the bank, well, isn't really a hairstylist.
Something is wrong. The story didn't really tell us much, so we don't know, but as it's written?......... Nah.
Exactly my point, too. It's not like he was presenting himself as someone from overseas or across the country. Interesting that the scammer targeted the SF area, though, because it has a Chinese bank.

As someone else pointed out, the size of her savings might make sense, if she owned her own business, in which case, she wasn't "just" a hairdresser, she was a business owner. Maybe she'd gotten lucky with investing her money.

What's more unbelievable, IMO, is that she'd throw her entire retirement away on someone she'd been corresponding with online for a few weeks; someone who practically lives next door. How does "I fell in love" explain it? He was roughly a generation younger than her (according to how he presented himself), for inexplicable reasons used a Chinese bank as a US serviceperson, was about to be deployed to a region the US, last I heard, was pulling out of, and for unexplained reasons, required over a quarter million dollars to finance the deployment???

Let's see; how many red flags can we count in that situation? And she apparently went on local network news with her story? Apparently she figured, that if the police couldn't stop these scams, she could warn others?

Old 03-21-2019, 05:48 PM

2,668 posts, read 641,900 times
What's weird is that one lived in San Francisco, the other in Oakland---why did she not want to meet him in person for the first five weeks of their "relationship?" They lived just minutes from each other...

Old 03-21-2019, 06:01 PM

12,837 posts, read 8,115,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly my point, too. It's not like he was presenting himself as someone from overseas or across the country. Interesting that the scammer targeted the SF area, though, because it has a Chinese bank.

As someone else pointed out, the size of her savings might make sense, if she owned her own business, in which case, she wasn't "just" a hairdresser, she was a business owner. Maybe she'd gotten lucky with investing her money.

What's more unbelievable, IMO, is that she'd throw her entire retirement away on someone she'd been corresponding with online for a few weeks; someone who practically lives next door. How does "I fell in love" explain it? He was roughly a generation younger than her (according to how he presented himself), for inexplicable reasons used a Chinese bank as a US serviceperson, was about to be deployed to a region the US, last I heard, was pulling out of, and for unexplained reasons, required over a quarter million dollars to finance the deployment???

Let's see; how many red flags can we count in that situation? And she apparently went on local network news with her story? Apparently she figured, that if the police couldn't stop these scams, she could warn others?
I'm inclined to believe it was just an attempt to get attention.
There have been dozens of these types of things - sometimes with no real apparent benefit to the "victim". Just attention. "Balloon Boy" comes to mind.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:51 PM

6,860 posts, read 2,087,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Why can't I ever find these women? I could sure use the money.....
Joking aside, you don't want to scam someone, so you don't look for people to scam. But if you wanted to find them, you probably could.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:55 PM

6,860 posts, read 2,087,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I met a woman (late 50's) at a bar who said she had been scammed out of $100,000 by someone she met online. But that guy told her he was in the military and stationed overseas, so meeting him would have been a lot tougher than driving/BARTing from SF to the East Bay.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:20 PM

2,794 posts, read 982,457 times
Sorry ladies but females are more vulnerable than males when it comes to the need for love and getting scammed or otherwise abused in the process. In many instances women will continue to get beaten up by their male partners rather than to leave them. In the past i worked in several social work positions and witnessed this kind of thing more often than I can count. While I wasn't allowed to actually come right out and say it, I DID often think, "God, what IS IT that drives these women that results in them being total idiots?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or