U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 02:23 AM

16,942 posts, read 20,729,725 times

Advertisements

I got involved with a prison inmate on a penpal basis 20 years ago, but I was only out $1500. He wrote letters that could set you on fire, sexually I'm talking about, and later I learned there's writers in prison who write these letters for other inmates, and they get a cut from the money I sent to the inmate which ends up in their commissary account. I was to pick up this inmate on his release date from prison. I arrived at the designated time, and the inmate drove off with someone else. I'd been had!

Myself, I like they way they match up in India, for a prospective partner you need to send them a chart (Astrology) for them to consider you. Problem is, they might send you a different birthdate, not the true one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 03:46 AM

24,077 posts, read 5,927,562 times
It would just be impossible to con me. Any woman trying to do so, would have to take the money out of my cold dead hand........

Old 03-22-2019, 04:13 AM

24 posts, read 2,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It would just be impossible to con me. Any woman trying to do so, would have to take the money out of my cold dead hand........

That's if the tax man don't reach you first!!

Old 03-22-2019, 05:14 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,279,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 AM

296 posts, read 476,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My MIL got scammed by a younger guy, in person rather than online. She married him and he took everything she had except her house and her pension. He married 5 other older women within 2 years. MIL said he was a beautiful man, very sweet, and they had a passionate relationship, so she believed they were in love.
Unfortunate situation but at least your MIL actually met the man in person!

Old 03-22-2019, 07:54 AM

296 posts, read 476,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post

My husband works at a bank. When anyone comes in to wire money overseas, the tellers are required to ask if they know the person, if this could be a scam, etc. Every single one of the customers lies, even though the bank is trying to protect them. And every single one of them somehow tries to spread some of the blame to the bank after the scam is figured out: "Why didn't the bank tell me this could be a scam? WAAHHHH!"
I work in the banking industry. We require the customer to sign an affidavit basically stating that we tried to warn them but they wanted to wire the funds anyway.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 AM

5,451 posts, read 3,449,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I got involved with a prison inmate on a penpal basis 20 years ago, but I was only out $1500. He wrote letters that could set you on fire, sexually I'm talking about, and later I learned there's writers in prison who write these letters for other inmates, and they get a cut from the money I sent to the inmate which ends up in their commissary account. I was to pick up this inmate on his release date from prison. I arrived at the designated time, and the inmate drove off with someone else. I'd been had!

I don't mean to pick on you, but I've wondered about the whole idea of people on the outside developing relationships with inmates. I mean, contrary to what seems like the theme of most movies about prisons, the fact is that nearly everyone in them is there because . . . they did something really bad! So what, exactly, is the attraction of deliberately trying to have a relationship with someone who you already know has done something really bad, and quite likely has done more than one really bad thing, and is also quite likely to do more bad things in the future?

Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 AM

8,646 posts, read 5,413,104 times
The fact that there are so many of these scam perpetrated means there are a lot of people falling for them.

Maybe the shock of public humiliation will help cure some people, but it seems to me that they were already victimized and don't need to be again. I wonder where media gets these stories? Is it someone in the victim's household that makes the scam public?

Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM

8,646 posts, read 5,413,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I get single, male requests all the time on facebook. For fun sometimes I'll accept the friendship to see what they say (every once in a blue moon it is someone I actually know) and the ones I don't know, always send me an IM starting out, "Hello, dear."

Why do they always call me dear?

Many are current or former military and many are widowed.

Delete immediately. Block immediately.

How can you NOT see these are scams?
On one of the OLD sites I frequently get mails that contain that same line. Scammers always seem to lead with a simple "Hello Dear." In fact, I believe I have recently seen a T-Shirt with that quote emblazoned on the front so it has become a meme.

The fake accounts always have an attractive woman on them; they are usually scantily dressed; no matter what race they actually appear to be, they are listed as Caucasians. The other tell-tales are that they are young, but their ages are listed as in their fifties. Best of all, many of these half nude women whose quotes are often things like "I like to be naked most of the time," list themselves as doctors, lawyers, police, any other local professionals. Oh and their pictures are laser clear and professional.

I often wonder who would fall for such a profile that is obviously computer program generated nonsense. Then I remember that when the potential to find someone attractive comes along, most people turn off their disbelief. I guess that since we live in a world where we accept entertainment based on a billionaire genius can hammer out a suit of Iron and go flying on an arch that takes him hundreds of feet into the air, and then smash down on the earth and only suffer a few bruises, we can convince ourselves of anything. As Fox Mulder said, "I want to believe."

Old 03-22-2019, 03:05 PM

8,328 posts, read 2,672,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
My thoughts exactly. But then I thought about how much money my wife pays for a simple haircut.

I shoulda gone to Beauty School instead of Business School.

If the woman being discussed had $273K to spare, from being a hairdresser, then she has been scamming her customers. Who knows how much money she has remaining? Karma has come home to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or