U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 03:27 PM

3,492 posts, read 1,389,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If the woman being discussed had $273K to spare, from being a hairdresser, then she has been scamming her customers. Who knows how much money she has remaining? Karma has come home to her.
You need to get out more. My lovely SO spends $110 + $20 tip to have her hair done. It takes 2 hours, so that's $60/hour. My late wife (may she RIP) paid a similar amount as far back as 15 years ago when we were first married. If the customers willingly pay it, it is not a scam.

So save your "karma" for someone else.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 03-22-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 05:42 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,359,676 times
Quote:
If the woman being discussed had $273K to spare, from being a hairdresser, then she has been scamming her customers. Who knows how much money she has remaining? Karma has come home to her.
Really?

Just out of curiosity, how much should a hairdresser be allowed to have? Would it matter if she owns her own salon, maybe a small local chain of salons? Would she then be allowed to have more than a few dollars in her account? She wouldn't even need to own a salon to earn an income sufficient to generate $273,000 in savings, which really isn't a huge fortune for someone who is good at saving and investing.

I don't know anyone who spends less than $100 per visit to the hairdresser, and this is just a rather ordinary upper-middle-class community. I pay that much just for a haircut and styling. It's the going rate at a good salon. People appreciate a good hairdresser. No scamming necessary, just customers who recognize the value of a good haircut and color treatment and are willing to pay well for good quality.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:10 PM

2,205 posts, read 793,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I think this is a lot of it. People are so desperate they believe what they want to and ignore any and all red flags.
Well, since he wasn't claiming to be a Nigerian Prince, maybe she thought it was legit...

Old 03-22-2019, 06:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 20,762,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I don't mean to pick on you, but I've wondered about the whole idea of people on the outside developing relationships with inmates. I mean, contrary to what seems like the theme of most movies about prisons, the fact is that nearly everyone in them is there because . . . they did something really bad! So what, exactly, is the attraction of deliberately trying to have a relationship with someone who you already know has done something really bad, and quite likely has done more than one really bad thing, and is also quite likely to do more bad things in the future?
Hold down your horses!!! Think of how many inmates, even those on Death Row, have been exonerated due to DNA tests! How many have been in prison for marijuana possession!!! The one I was writing to was in for drug possession! That's a world of difference from a murderer! And there are many out there, who should be in prison, but they just happened to have the money to hire a really good attorney!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 20,762,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It would just be impossible to con me. Any woman trying to do so, would have to take the money out of my cold dead hand........
You've never heard the term Senior Moment?

Old 03-22-2019, 06:57 PM

3,492 posts, read 1,389,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
It would just be impossible to con me. Any woman trying to do so, would have to take the money out of my cold dead hand........
I suspect there are a few who can arrange for that...

Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,724,692 times
All of this is easily explained by just recalling the wise words of one Forrest Gump.

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES!

Old 03-23-2019, 01:02 AM

24,141 posts, read 5,944,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I suspect there are a few who can arrange for that...
Well, that's different isn't it? Murder isn't a con. Nobody could con me out of money, especially in a relationship based on a computer, or phone. I would never fall for it.

I received a letter years ago, telling me I had won a fortune in a lottery. The informant needed a sum to get it released to me. I am quite sure probably many thousands of people have received a similar letter around the world.

These folks wouldn't do this, unless they have some success doing so. There are fools and their money, easily parted.

I'm not one of them.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:51 AM

21,443 posts, read 27,420,940 times
Quote:

How do you "scam" a customer as a hairdresser?

Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 AM

10,530 posts, read 12,885,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. If you're interested in someone, after a few online interactions, it's normal to suggest switching to phone calls or Skype, and eventually (especially if "deeply in love", as she said) to meeting in person. There's a natural progression. IF someone's hedging about doing those things, you bail. Where is the meet-and-greet coffee date in all this? She could have said (and who knows, maybe she did), "Hey, I'm going to be in SF on the weekend, would you like to meet for coffee?"

How do these things not occur to someone? It's only natural to want to escalate the type of contact, if you're becoming more and more interested in someone.
A meeting in person should take place quickly I agree. You can assess how a person is much better and will not waste time, even if the person is legit and there is no chemistry. The net can easily lure a person into a false sense of security. People have carried on for years with no meeting in person. Its incredible how long these things can drag out and end in just disappointment without a scam happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or