Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 12:01 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I once had a college instructor who was Chinese. She had told us that it was customary, in extended Chinese families, to send a family member to America, and then all the other family members...aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., to send this person 10% of their income, until the person in America was well established...and then that person would send for another family member in China, and it starts all over again.

I bring this up, because this lady's last name is Yin. To me, that sounds Asian...maybe Chinese?

And maybe a good chunk of that money was money contributed by extended family.

And maybe Ms. Yin isn't as simple and gullible as she lets people believe, and she's sunk this money into an off-shore account somewhere.

Meanwhile, her extended family is led to believe that Ms. Yin lost all the money on a foolish cause, and they're angry of course...but what can they do? The money is gone.

Except it isn't. The article I read said she was a caregiver for someone...her mom or her dad? I forget. So when mom (or dad) dies, she'll pack it up and move to the Virgin Islands or something, with all the money.
You should be a writer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 02:45 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Lol!

Old 04-04-2019, 07:01 PM

372 posts, read 220,052 times
Happens here in Oz too.

For some reason most often in Queensland, which we call 'the deep north" IE tropical, beautiful beaches, our bible belt, many people slightly to the right of Attila The Hun ,and arse deep in retirees.

Also the home of quack remedies and a wide range of scams ,telephonic and other.

"Being in love" is a state which needs to be approached with deep skepticism at the best of times. It seems absurd that person could convince themselves they were in love with a person they have only met online. However, I think it's pathetic. How lonely and desperate would a person need to be?

I've used dating sites a couple of times, and have dated about half a dozen women met on those sites. One thing I learned, is that at least some people on those sites have a rather casual relationship with truth and reality.--My favourite was a woman who had an invisible pet dragon on each shoulder.

Romantic love? Intellectually , I think it's nonsense. But, didn't stop me from 'falling crazy in love' three times so far. First time I was 20. Last time I was 46. The memory, the fantasy, of the last one lingers still, because it was rekindled when I was 63. A mistake, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat..

All I can say is "the heart wants what the heart wants". Seems to me that emotion always trumps reason.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:59 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Today was just an ordinary day until I thought of you, and then suddenly everything, everywhere became extraordinary.

...and instead of laughing her arse off, she sends him $273K.

Yup. A fool and his--or her--money are soon parted

Old 04-11-2019, 07:33 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
It seems like people would avoid internet scammers just from watching Dr. Phil. Dr. Phil had many women on his show that have been scammed on the internet.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,204 times
I wonder if "Catfish" will use this case for one of their shows.

They are going on season 9 because kids watch the show and STILL fall for the love scams.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I must have come out of the womb a fing genius because there is no way in hell I could believe the stories told by online "love scammers". I don't even like talking to people online and always turn of PM when creating various accounts. I won't even give people I know money, and I can't fall in love with someone I haven't seen and touched, and even then I'm don't really trust people until I've known them awhile...lol.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:09 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,017 times
Been awhile but I used to see a lot of these "scammed by internet romance" stories. Dr. Phil, Dateline, 20/20, you name it.

One woman gave her Mr. Wonderful $400,000 - her entire inheritance.

Pathetic.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:53 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
Happens here in Oz too.

For some reason most often in Queensland, which we call 'the deep north" IE tropical, beautiful beaches, our bible belt, many people slightly to the right of Attila The Hun ,and arse deep in retirees.

Also the home of quack remedies and a wide range of scams ,telephonic and other.

"Being in love" is a state which needs to be approached with deep skepticism at the best of times. It seems absurd that person could convince themselves they were in love with a person they have only met online. However, I think it's pathetic. How lonely and desperate would a person need to be?

I've used dating sites a couple of times, and have dated about half a dozen women met on those sites. One thing I learned, is that at least some people on those sites have a rather casual relationship with truth and reality.--My favourite was a woman who had an invisible pet dragon on each shoulder.

Romantic love? Intellectually , I think it's nonsense. But, didn't stop me from 'falling crazy in love' three times so far. First time I was 20. Last time I was 46. The memory, the fantasy, of the last one lingers still, because it was rekindled when I was 63. A mistake, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat..

All I can say is "the heart wants what the heart wants". Seems to me that emotion always trumps reason.
Didn't know it was more common in Qld. Interesting... Someone I know met an American online, no scam, but when they finally met it just did not work even though they had sent so much time talking and emailing. But the scams are so common and it is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events