Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 07:14 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times

Advertisements

I'm confused...how does a hairstylist come up with a quarter mil to give away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 07:15 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
The article could similarly be titled "Woman 'in love' foolishly gives away $273k".

Old 03-20-2019, 07:29 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Are you kidding me?? lol, my SIL is a hairstylist, coowns her shop. she's easily pulling in 200K annually. of course a cut and color is going run you 200 bucks and she does bridal parties, fashion shows and other events.

It's physical work but if you live in a big city with good clientele you definitely aren't poor.

not sure but maybe it was not all at once.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
I have a friend that is into this - being scammed by multiple catfish

It is crazy. I've even shown her where the pictures she has of these men were easily available online. Showed them in other places, different names. The scammers use pics of nice looking men. The story is usually that they are widows, kids are living with a nanny or grandparent.

They are working in a foreign country on some major engineering project or on an oil rig. All of a sudden something happens, they need cash.

I don't think she has given any more than the price of a plane ticket. She is supposed to fly out to Virginia any day now, but wow - can you believe it - all the flights keep getting booked. But she is on a waiting list to fly out one day.

She has never left the state, so i guess she falls for this excuse.

She did marry right out of school and endured a long loveless marriage to her high school sweetie - creepy guy. So i guess this sounds good. What can you do.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:14 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
OK, I am blaming the victim.
Seriously, at what point do you take responsibility for your own short comings.
I am single and enjoy using match here and there. Nice way to meet new folks. Now I'm lucky in that I was in a awesome marriage for 30 years before losing my husband to cancer, so I'm not desperate to remarry. I was blessed once, not going to push my luck.

That being said,

1) you fall deeply in love with someone you never seen in person?? that's not love, that's make believe. that's believing in Prince charming and Pretty Woman. In real life prostitutes rarely fall in love with millionaires and prince charming ain't swooping down to rescue damsels in distress anymore.

2) Real love can handle going public. If you need to keep your "love" a secret, it ain't real.
3) People in the military are not, I repeat not disclosing "candlestine" missions to perfect strangers in emails. uhmmm he's doing a "secret" mission for the Marines yet he's telling everyone and his mother?
4) lol, lastly Uncle Sam foots the bill when they send troops overseas and they get deployment pay. why did he need her cash.

Ladies, I enjoy dating and yes I would love to be in a committed relationship again. being in love does not equal being stupid.

I agree with this. Sure, I'm sympathetic to someone who gets scammed out of a hundred or two hundred dollars. But after awhile, you have to start reminding yourself, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Old 03-20-2019, 09:40 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. But then I thought about how much money my wife pays for a simple haircut.

I shoulda gone to Beauty School instead of Business School.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:09 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Why would she need to lie about how much she got scammed by?

This scam happens all the time.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/13/69417...cams-last-year
Not saying she is lying per se. More that I would just want to understand more details about how she gave him that much money. She is a hairstylist, so presumably not rich. Was it a lump sum of $273K that she just dumped into his bank account? Was she giving him money over the course of some time period? Did she have to take out a loan (how did she justify the loan)?

I just find it hard to believe. Having some more details may make it easier to rationalize.

If a love one asked me for that kind of money, there is no way I could provide it without going into debt (and I make a pretty comfortable 6 figure salary). So for someone I have never met, I would never go into that much debt.

So maybe I should have reworded my statement to say, I would have liked for the article to have provided more details/context about her thought process and details about how she actually made that payment.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:16 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. That is why I was confused by the article. If she was wealthy and head over heels in love, it would be more understandable. But being a hairstylist (without any additional context or information), is a little puzzling. It would seem that she would have to either borrow a ton of money (how would she justify needing that type of loan) or dip deeply into retirement savings. That is why I said I found the story puzzling and hard to believe. Of course it could very well be true. She may have other income or be wealthy. On the surface without those details though, it makes the story very puzzling.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:54 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I found the whole story suspicious. Like...maybe she lost the money another way...that if the truth came out, she'd feel more shame than this....it's just...weird. I kind of think she's making this story up.

First of all, they were just 5 weeks into their relationship, when she sent the money. Just a little over a month. I KNOW there are gullible people out there, but 5 weeks?

Second...I've gotten many FB requests of these type of scammers. Supposedly military, widowed, etc. But the main giveaway, if you DO communicate with them, is that English isn't their first language. You can tell. And with a little bit of investigation, you see that all their friends have names you can't pronounce, and their interests are all in languages you don't understand, etc. They're just not very smart.

Thirdly...who ran this story to news sources? Her? She was in a big hurry to tell news sources that she let some stranger scam her out of $237,000? What if, maybe, she put 237,000 in an off shore account, or...well...I don't know. It's just weird.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:19 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
I have an elderly SIL that was scammed out of at least a quarter of a mil over the course of a couple of years, lost a paid for condo and a nice townhome as a result, ended up basically homeless. And if you gave her $5,000 today, she would send it to the scammer in a heart beat. She is now about 90, but is not dense or stupid or etc.

Also, have a distant relative that has her own nail/hair salon, always drives a new BMW, has a really, really nice house, and thinks nothing of flying across the country for the weekend. She's never been scammed, but I suspect she could pony up the $237k if required. Just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events