U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 12:28 PM

10,318 posts, read 21,058,410 times

Advertisements

Do away with it. I wish everyone could vote on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 12:35 PM

14,319 posts, read 26,006,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And people going to work in the dark is no different than people going home or out to dinner or a movie or a club in the dark.
Except you have to do one, and the other is a choice, and you don't have people going out to dinner and a movie half-asleep.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:24 PM

10,185 posts, read 14,046,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Except you have to do one, and the other is a choice, and you don't have people going out to dinner and a movie half-asleep.
I sincerely hope people aren't driving in the dark in the morning half asleep either!
Regardless of the time the mechanics are the same. It's no more difficult to drive dark roads whether it's morning or night, if you are capable of one you are capable of both. I don't find it a good reason simply to say that people shouldn't have to drive in the dark just because it's morning.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:24 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,768,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It would be really brilliant if, for example, NY, NJ, and CT decide on different systems.
NJ should go Standard only, NY DST only, and CT switching back and forth.
I am pretty sure about half of the population in NYC would be late for everything and people would need apps to tell them what time it is. lol

Old 03-22-2019, 03:38 PM

8,735 posts, read 2,809,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
This is the height of stupidity.
The whole reason for "high noon" was that was when the sun was highest in the sky.
Shifting clocks one hour ahead does not "save" daylight.
Why not just shift standard business hours instead of the clocks?

Not possible. The concept of what the different hours on the clock mean, in their relationship with our activities, have been ingrained in us since birth. Business or working hours are only one part of our daily activities, that are inseparably tied to the time of day. The integration of clocktime into the cores of modern humans, is one of the strongest forces in our lives. The majority of people would come unhinged without clocks regimenting every thing they do. Even if the sun comes up an hour earlier or later in our schedules, we still stick to the familiar numbers on the clocks, to regulate our every move. Those who go to bed at 11 pm during Standard Time, will mostly go to bed at 11 pm during Daylight Time.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:33 PM

12,960 posts, read 15,199,747 times
Quote:
But in December, you would still be dark a little after 6. Is that worth waking up before sunrise?
Yes. I'd rather it be dark in the morning and have a little daylight in the evenings. I have no energy in the winter when it gets dark by 5. I need some light.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 PM

7,596 posts, read 2,248,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
This is the height of stupidity.
The whole reason for "high noon" was that was when the sun was highest in the sky.
Shifting clocks one hour ahead does not "save" daylight.
Why not just shift standard business hours instead of the clocks?
That's a great point. You win the thread.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Wouldn't it be a better solution for Texas to up their game education-wise or to have a better transport plan for children, than for the entire country to accommodate their deficiencies?
How did Texas get into the discussion? The problem is much worse as you go north, but I can say as someone who grew up in the south (33rd parallel) going to an elementary school one mile away that started at 8:30, the dark (and cold) is a big problem for kids waiting for buses.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Of course it does. We have birds--it takes them two weeks to adjust to the sun coming up and going down at different times.
They're not adjusting to that (any more than usual). They're adjusting to their master having a new schedule.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 PM

3,183 posts, read 864,389 times
Quote:
The rooster crows when the sun comes up, not when his alarm clock goes off.

The only thing that changes is what time you (i.e. human) have to go to work, or school, or whatever humans have to do. The day is just as long with or without DST as far as the birds are concerned.
This is just not true. I know because I have had to deal with roosters for 35 years. They will crow for any reason. When they are hungry, or feel threatened or if they feel their flock is threatened. And they will crow as early as 4 in the morning, or in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events