Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 04:26 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,032,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
Well it would definitely get dark early running standard time year round. Without DST, the sun would be setting in San Diego at 6:59PM during the summer solstice. Sunsets during the 6 o'clock hour throughout the entire San Diego summer doesn't sound very appealing to me. After work, I'd much prefer searching for seashells by the San Diego sea shore in daylight!
Well, see, I like the sun to go down early, especially in the summer when it's hot, because it's the only comfortable time to go horseback riding, and I'd rather the sun go down by 6 so my friends and I can jump on the horses and ride for a good two hours, and still get a good night's sleep. But when DST is here, we have to wait til 8, and we either have to cut our ride to an hour, or lose an hour sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 04:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Why don't we just vote on it in the next election? A referendum vote - popular vote wins.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:32 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
No matter what your state or the Federal Government does, there will be people who are unhappy.

For that matter, you don't have to set your clocks. Just adjust your starting times. You work an 8 hour shift, with an unpaid half hour for lunch. You start your shift at 0800, and clock out at 1630. everybody sets their clocks ahead one hour, but you don't want to. So, DON'T DO IT! Now your shift starts at 0900 and you clock out at 1730 according to YOUR time-piece. You go to lunch at 1300, and return at 1330. When keeping an appointment with somebody who is on DST, just add an hour to the time.
No problem.

If you like to schedule your recreational activities for 1800 you will still be doing it at 1800. Everybody else will think it is 1900, but why do you care what they think? Your life is scheduled on John Doe Standard Time!

Old 03-21-2019, 04:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It messes with everyone's biology, even our pets.
Our pets can't tell time. They know light vs. dark, but changing the clock doesn't affect them in the slightest.

Time wasn't even standardized until fairly recently in human history, when we had to know what time the train would arrive and depart the station.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:42 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Our pets can't tell time. They know light vs. dark, but changing the clock doesn't affect them in the slightest.

Time wasn't even standardized until fairly recently in human history, when we had to know what time the train would arrive and depart the station.
Of course it does. We have birds--it takes them two weeks to adjust to the sun coming up and going down at different times.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Why don't we just vote on it in the next election? A referendum vote - popular vote wins.
Or just let the states decide, which is how it should be. Why should someone in California have any say on if Florida has DST year round or not?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Of course it does. We have birds--it takes them two weeks to adjust to the sun coming up and going down at different times.
Lol, that does not even make sense.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
The rooster crows when the sun comes up, not when his alarm clock goes off.

The only thing that changes is what time you (i.e. human) have to go to work, or school, or whatever humans have to do. The day is just as long with or without DST as far as the birds are concerned.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,839 times
There is nothing "special" about midnight at 5:00 PM or even 5:30. Nothing.

Getting up in the morning to get ready for work is the same whether it is dark or light out. It's depressing either way and you'll get used to it. Anybody who advocates going out and watering the garden before leaving for work needs counseling.

But dark at 5:00 is unthinkable to me. I grew up in the western part of the Eastern Time Zone, way north...but there was always a peek of daylight at 5:30 dinner time - even in December. Can you East Coasters even imagine?

I spend winter in a popular resort place way in the eastern part of its time zone. It is midnight at 5PM from Nov 10 til Jan 10. Worse yet, the sun goes behind the mountains at 3:45. No wonder the restaurants are deserted after 4 o'clock. Who wants to go out in the dark of night? The retirees here don't.

DST all year long! The Soviet Union moved its zones forward to begin with and even then much of it had DST in the summer.

You ain't lived until you've experienced sunset at 9:45 and dusk at 10:30 PM on lovely (seemingly endless) summer evenings. Love it!

No Boston baloney for me!

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-21-2019 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Getting up in the morning to get ready for work is the same whether it is dark or light out.
Not just getting up and getting ready but doing your entire commute in the dark.

I'm not sure where you live but if you lived "way north," what were you growing in your outdoor garden exactly that needed water? That's the most confounding thing* about your statement to me.

*That said, I know of some *cough* indoor gardeners in Michigan where the lights are on while the sun's down, so six in the evening outside is the same as six in the morning inside, and the "sun" shines 18 hours a day everyday in veg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events