U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:16 AM

10,205 posts, read 5,661,995 times

Advertisements

Bunch of crap about nothing. How they can feel this was on purpose is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 04:47 AM

8,926 posts, read 4,500,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
If her music was playing then it was a practice session, not a warm up. I have an extensive collection of televised skating competitions, including every Olympics going back to 1994 and World's and US National's from 1995 to 2008, I know how these events are run. The skater whose music is playing ALWAYS has control of the ice, the other skaters must stay out of the way.

The only news stories I'll read about anything re: skating are written by writers that I know have extensive experience covering skating, like Phil Hersch or Christine Brennan.
Okay, we’re saying the same thing except you’re getting hung up on the terminology. Whether it’s a warm up or a practice session doesn’t change anything. You’re just trying (unsuccessfully) to impress with your knowledge. Whatever.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM

5,790 posts, read 6,145,963 times
Skate blades can be very dangerous, not going to post the Clint Malarchuk or Richard Zednik videos though.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:23 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,021,104 times
you can clearly see her look back over her shoulder at the Korean skater during the turn, she knew exactly where she was.

I think it was intentional.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:40 PM

5,291 posts, read 2,129,013 times
I'm going to leave it to the experts. It may have been on purpose IMO. I know how vicious young girls can be.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM

3,988 posts, read 1,420,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
you can clearly see her look back over her shoulder at the Korean skater during the turn, she knew exactly where she was.

I think it was intentional.
Wrong. She was performing the EXACT same choreography at that point in the program that she has been performing all season.

And, as it was a practice session and Bell's music was playing, she had the right of way, and Lim should have been paying attention to where Bell was on the ice and stayed out of her way.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:10 AM

8,784 posts, read 6,054,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Wrong. She was performing the EXACT same choreography at that point in the program that she has been performing all season.

And, as it was a practice session and Bell's music was playing, she had the right of way, and Lim should have been paying attention to where Bell was on the ice and stayed out of her way.
Pretty much this.

I remember being on the ice a few times when my sister was practicing her routines. Unwritten rule: Get out of her way.

Didn't look intentional to me. The way she was skating, it would be difficult to nip her exactly like that on purpose. She'd have probably collided with much more impact had it been voluntary.

Accidents happen on the ice. This is one of them, I think.

It's like taking a puck to the face (or anywhere) during warm-ups or practice with teammates. If you're skating around behind the net while someone else it shooting around, expect to get hit.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:23 PM

50 posts, read 7,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Pretty much this.

I remember being on the ice a few times when my sister was practicing her routines. Unwritten rule: Get out of her way.

Didn't look intentional to me. The way she was skating, it would be difficult to nip her exactly like that on purpose. She'd have probably collided with much more impact had it been voluntary.

Accidents happen on the ice. This is one of them, I think.

It's like taking a puck to the face (or anywhere) during warm-ups or practice with teammates. If you're skating around behind the net while someone else it shooting around, expect to get hit.
Sure... If your sister had slashed you during her routine and ignored the situation, never said anything to you about it, that would have been normal... Skating behind a net while someone else is shooting into it is not comparable to this situation. Understand, we're all sufficiently impressed with your experience around skating rinks, but what you're trying to sell is pretty ridiculous.

The best part of this story is that Eun-soo, despite the injury inflicted upon her, still finished higher than her attacker.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:46 PM

498 posts, read 164,995 times
Hell If I Knew, but this does remind me of that that hockey player known as Clint Malarchuk. The guy had his throat cut by the blade many years ago. My dad saw it live, thankfully I wasn't around then

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

8,784 posts, read 6,054,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rftw View Post
Sure... If your sister had slashed you during her routine and ignored the situation, never said anything to you about it, that would have been normal... Skating behind a net while someone else is shooting into it is not comparable to this situation. Understand, we're all sufficiently impressed with your experience around skating rinks, but what you're trying to sell is pretty ridiculous.

The best part of this story is that Eun-soo, despite the injury inflicted upon her, still finished higher than her attacker.
Chances are she didn't even know her skate cut the girl until later on. It was not a hard impact.

If that was intentional, she's one hell of a precise skater. Do you realize how hard it is to intentionally nip someone like that while in the middle of a pivot, without falling? Not to mention, the blade has to hit you at just the right angle to inflict a cut. Most skate-blade impacts don't result in gashes.

I'm not saying it was NOT intentional (I have no way of knowing this,) but I'm saying there are indeed many chances it was not, and if it was, she's one hell of a skater.

I'm not trying to -- nor do I care to -- "impress" anyone. I'm willing to bet, however, that anyone who does have experience ice skating will agree on the level of skill it would take to accomplish this.

Last edited by Arcenal352; Yesterday at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or