Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:37 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Intentional or accident, doesn't matter. People love drama in all things life, and expect certain rabid fan bases to make a mountain out of a mole hill to villainize Bell.

Been a while since the last infamous figure skating dust-up.

https://thecomeback.com/olympics/fig...pionships.html

Quote:
Figure skating can be one of the most beautiful sports at times, but it can also be one of the ugliest. It’s been 25 years since the attack on Nancy Kerrigan and depending on who you believe, this situation could be pretty bad or an unfortunate accident.

During warm-ups of the women’s short program at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships, 22-year-old American Mariah Bell allegedly kicked 16-year-old South Korean Lim Eun-Soo while on the ice, cutting Lim’s calf.
Hard to tell from a video that looks like it was filmed with a potato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_re1kAagKQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 08:14 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Looks to me like the other skater (the injured one) ran into her on purpose... maybe to trip her up?

Old 03-21-2019, 08:20 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,159 times
Could've been worse.

Could've been the Iron Lotus routine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1weVp4S8IFc

Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,604 posts, read 17,927,273 times
From the video provided, I couldn't see what was happening. "Full screen" was unavailable, and the skating looks like ants across my screen.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:05 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Apparently Bell's music was playing, which during warm ups means that she had the 'right-of-way'.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:39 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Apparently Bell's music was playing, which during warm ups means that she had the 'right-of-way'.
They don't play program music during the on-ice warm up before the competition starts.

OTOH, if it is an official practice session, where the program run-throughs are done in the competition skate order, the skater whose music is playing has full right to the ice and everyone else is supposed to stay out of the way. By the time a skater is competing at an ISU Senior International event like the World Championship, they are expected to know on-ice etiquette.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:31 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
They don't play program music during the on-ice warm up before the competition starts.

OTOH, if it is an official practice session, where the program run-throughs are done in the competition skate order, the skater whose music is playing has full right to the ice and everyone else is supposed to stay out of the way. By the time a skater is competing at an ISU Senior International event like the World Championship, they are expected to know on-ice etiquette.
I don't know what to tell you. Just relaying what was reported in the news. Her music was playing. She was going through her program. Other skaters were on the ice, but she had right-of-way. Whether it was "warm up" or "official practice session" doesn't really seem important. Either way, other skaters shouldn't have gotten in her way.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:45 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't know what to tell you. Just relaying what was reported in the news. Her music was playing. She was going through her program. Other skaters were on the ice, but she had right-of-way. Whether it was "warm up" or "official practice session" doesn't really seem important. Either way, other skaters shouldn't have gotten in her way.
If her music was playing then it was a practice session, not a warm up. I have an extensive collection of televised skating competitions, including every Olympics going back to 1994 and World's and US National's from 1995 to 2008, I know how these events are run. The skater whose music is playing ALWAYS has control of the ice, the other skaters must stay out of the way.

The only news stories I'll read about anything re: skating are written by writers that I know have extensive experience covering skating, like Phil Hersch or Christine Brennan.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:17 PM

91 posts, read 31,580 times
Watch it from this perspective and ask yourself honestly whether it was deliberate or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nobITXOB6M

If not deliberate, it would've been unexpected, and I think Bell would've reacted accordingly. She doesn't react at all. And to provide some context, according to Eun-soo's management agency, this apparently followed 'months of bullying' from Bell.

I can't speak to the on-ice etiquette, or who had the "official right of way", but it's clear that Eun-soo was on the outermost perimeter of the ice. Maybe Bell had the right of way over the entire rink and is free to kick wherever she wants; I don't know. I will say this though: If I accidentally slashed someone, a competitor of mine or not, I would approach them as soon as I could and let them know that it wasn't done on purpose.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:12 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rftw View Post
Watch it from this perspective and ask yourself honestly whether it was deliberate or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nobITXOB6M

If not deliberate, it would've been unexpected, and I think Bell would've reacted accordingly. She doesn't react at all. And to provide some context, according to Eun-soo's management agency, this apparently followed 'months of bullying' from Bell.

I can't speak to the on-ice etiquette, or who had the "official right of way", but it's clear that Eun-soo was on the outermost perimeter of the ice. Maybe Bell had the right of way over the entire rink and is free to kick wherever she wants; I don't know. I will say this though: If I accidentally slashed someone, a competitor of mine or not, I would approach them as soon as I could and let them know that it wasn't done on purpose.
She must be a graduate of the Tonya Harding School of Ice Skating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events