U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 02:56 PM

3,367 posts, read 3,931,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What would be interesting however is what the recording says assuming he did call it in. Probably most of us have at one time or another gotten a wrong item only to be told to keep it.
Yea, a wrong order sent by the company one ordered it from, NOT from a delivery mistake made by a 3rd party for another person who ALREADY PAID FOR THE ITEM.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 03:42 PM

5,384 posts, read 6,631,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I donít understand why you only called Amazon and waited three weeks, when the person whose TV it was lived only a block from you. Did you let them know so they could come pick it up?
I ordered it. It was marked as delivered when I tracked it, but I didn't have it. I called Amazon because I ordered it through them. They immediately sent another and started researching. Shortly after, the person it was erroneously delivered it to contacted me to say there was a rather large box intended for me sitting on their front porch. Like I said, it weighed close to 100 pounds, and was a block away. And I have about 20 steps leading to my front door. No way to easily move it to my house.

I called Amazon back to tell them what happened and where it was. They put me on hold, got back on the line and said they contacted UPS and they were going to pick it up and send it back to them. It was too late to cancel the one the re-sent. Three weeks and many, many phone calls to UPS later, by me, the person who had this huge box on their porch, and Amazon, and they finally got around to picking it up. UPS had the attitude that they really didn't give a rat's behind about it being mis-delivered or getting it where it was supposed to go.

And this has happened A LOT.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:51 PM

43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
About two years ago we ordered a 42" TV online at Walmart. We received the email that it had arrived. Went to pick up it up that night with the wife and twins and after a long day I could have used a smile. Little did I know I would soon get one. After about what seemed like an eternity the two stock boys come out with a cart with a 70 plus inch TV. My wife and look at each other smiling and I told them I wish it was but that's not my TV. They looked at my order number and it matched the one taped to that TV and assured me it was. We literally had to convince them to look for my 42" inch TV as they wanted us to take that one. Not sure if it was because it was close to closing or whatever but we declined and finally they found a 42" TV for us.

Now telling the story the next day at work you would have thought I was the village idiot with the feedback I received from my co-workers. Just about everyone said they would have taken it. One of the guys who had a wife that worked at a different Walmart said they generally lose a little less than ten percent of inventory to this sort of thing.

Hey, I did what I thought was right and that is all that counts. Maybe the twins learned a little lesson in life that night.

Everyone has their own conscience but should be prepared for the consequences!
The fact that most people berated you for not taking the wrong tv is why I hate people.

Bc I see that all the time - people getting bent that you won't be dishonest.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:54 PM

6,090 posts, read 1,798,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Another situation that could have been avoided through just a smidgen of integrity and common sense.
Indeed. It's kind of how the people who get money sent to their account in error, think they have a right to keep it. They don't.

"But it was your mistake not mine" doesn't work. The man arrested should've given back the TV, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What would be interesting however is what the recording says assuming he did call it in. Probably most of us have at one time or another gotten a wrong item only to be told to keep it.
What wrong items have you been told to keep, that were paid for by someone else with their name or address on?

Occasionally someone writes down the wrong address and I get the wrong item (I live in a condo) so immediately I turn it into the front office, no one tells me to just keep it like I'm some scumbag.

Last edited by Rocko20; 03-24-2019 at 05:03 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 05:00 PM

26,579 posts, read 52,055,370 times
One of the Docs I worked with was on vacation and someone had transferred 5 million into his brokerage account... he contacted Dean Witter as soon as he found out and the money was removed within minutes...

The funny thing is the interest for the 5 days was not insignificant... that was not removed... he called back and his broker said it is his to keep... he said can I get it in writing and they did...

Sometimes even financial "Gifts" in error are yours to keep

Old 03-24-2019, 05:20 PM

970 posts, read 334,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The fact that most people berated you for not taking the wrong tv is why I hate people.

Same. It is rather f'd up how people get so angry when you won't go along with their nefarious behavior. Some people will always find a justification for taking what is not theirs. How much is your character worth? A lousy tv. No thanks.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:32 PM

9,014 posts, read 2,942,332 times
Quote:
Yup. You are lucky.
I sent a wine order to my friend's old address by mistake (I had it switched in my book).
It was a gift to congratulate her for publishing a book.

The new people at the house signed for it and kept it and refused to give it back.
The wine company (wine.com) refused to help bc it was delivered to the given address (even though the wrong person signed for it - they don't seem to want to take responsibility for the correct recipient getting the package). UPS did not care either (again, not their problem if the wrong person signs for something).
We never saw the wine again.

People be scummy.

If these people kept the package, they must be wine-drinkers. So what would you expect of them?

Old 03-24-2019, 05:50 PM

20,546 posts, read 13,576,401 times
Married with Children had an episode on this subject.

Marcy and Steve told Al and Peggy after they got something in they didn't order (a magazine subscription IIRC), the law says they could keep and didn't have to pay.

A few days later a credit card arrives in mail and the Bundy's go on a spending spree. Steve and Marcy wonder at the source of Al and Peggy's new found wealth. Bud (IIRC) explains that a CC came in the mail and since they didn't request........

Steve turns around and says "then they are going to jail....".

People need to read up and understand laws regarding unjust enrichment. More so in these days of Amazon and others where things are almost constantly delivered to incorrect addresses.

Same thing with banking; no, you cannot keep and spend money incorrectly deposited into your account or given incorrectly from an ATM. That is unless the bank clearly gives *WRITTEN* legal consent.

Recently a major bank had a spate of problems with their ATMs giving out too much money. They released a statement after issue was found and corrected that those who received extra funds did *NOT* have to return the excess.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 PM

20,301 posts, read 16,471,247 times
Quote:

Yes, me too. Many years ago my car got hit by a Mr. Softee truck who ran a red light. The insurance paid for my car, but it seems like everybody I told wanted me to sue Mr. Softee even though I didnít get hurt at all.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:58 PM

43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If these people kept the package, they must be wine-drinkers. So what would you expect of them?
My friend went to their house hours (not days or weeks, but 2 hours) after delivery to get the wine and they played totally dumb.

Scuzz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or