U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM

19,197 posts, read 10,638,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yep, thats why its so important to be teaching our kids to KNOW their rights when it comes to interacting with police, rather than just telling them to OBEY and COMPLY anything and everything police instruct or ask of you. We would have a lot less people getting themselves into trouble if we started teaching kids their rights related to interacting with police, what they can ask, and cannot, when you must respond and when you dont have to as well...very important!
Except for those people for whom the primary goal of an interaction with the police is to survive it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

4,288 posts, read 4,270,378 times
I look forward to eventually learning the outcome of this situation, just to know if a couple of posters, or EVERYBODY else, got it right.

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

19,315 posts, read 15,913,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yep, thats why its so important to be teaching our kids to KNOW their rights when it comes to interacting with police, rather than just telling them to OBEY and COMPLY anything and everything police instruct or ask of you. We would have a lot less people getting themselves into trouble if we started teaching kids their rights related to interacting with police, what they can ask, and cannot, when you must respond and when you dont have to as well...very important!
What story are you talking about? In this one, he did not comply with the police. He would not cooperate at all with them.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
If he had just kept his mouth shut he wouldn't have had this problem.
Do you mean? He didnít tell that he got the extra TV accidentally the delivery company realized it.

Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlayer View Post
I would think if that was the case the delivery person would not have told him to keep it.. He would have def taken it back to thier shop and made sure it was correctly delivered....... (So they wouldnt have to worry of replacing it)
The delivery person did not tell him to keep it. He claims Amazon told him to keep it.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM

4,658 posts, read 1,822,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Are you by any chance a sovereign citizen? Thatís how your logic comes across. You can parrot irrelevant FTC regulations all you want, it wonít change the fact that the FEDERAL TRADE COMMISION has ZERO AUTHORITY over misdirected or erroneous deliveries, regardless of who sends and receives them.
LOL I'm definitely not a sovereign citizen. I follow written laws, I don't make up my own. Which apparently you do. Regardless of if the FTC has authority, or not, that is why I also posted the Massachusetts state law, which says exactly the same thing. He is being prosecuted in Massachusetts, so Massachusetts state law is certainly relevant.

But I get it. Your mind is made up, that he is a bad guy. So it really doesn't matter how many laws I quote that show he was just following the law. Nothing is going to change your mind. I just hope that none of you people are chosen for his jury.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

4,658 posts, read 1,822,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Except for those people for whom the primary goal of an interaction with the police is to survive it.
That is what I was thinking. I recently saw a video of a guy who was shot by a security guard in LA. The security guard claimed he was just firing a warning shot. The DA declined to prosecute the security guard on the grounds that the shooting victim was refusing to answer the security guard's questions. Therefore he was a threat to the security guard.

You have to always keep evaluating if it is in your best interest to cooperate, or not. But as soon as it is evident that you are being questioned about a crime, you have to lawyer up.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

1,406 posts, read 384,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
LOL I'm definitely not a sovereign citizen. I follow written laws, I don't make up my own. Which apparently you do. Regardless of if the FTC has authority, or not, that is why I also posted the Massachusetts state law, which says exactly the same thing. He is being prosecuted in Massachusetts, so Massachusetts state law is certainly relevant.

But I get it. Your mind is made up, that he is a bad guy. So it really doesn't matter how many laws I quote that show he was just following the law. Nothing is going to change your mind. I just hope that none of you people are chosen for his jury.
You don't know how to interpret laws, and continue to be in a state of ignorance despite the many here explaining to you why this MA law does NOT apply to this case.

"But as soon as it is evident that you are being questioned about a crime, you have to lawyer up."

People watch too many movies. This dummy had a perfect chance to get out of this once the cops showed up. If at that time he had come clean and pleaded ignorance and offered to give back or pay for the tv I bet it would have ended there. Instead, he did the stupid thing and didn't answer or try to work with the cops. Huge mistake.

Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

23,463 posts, read 29,561,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If it were a major carrier they probably would not have called police, but it sounds like the tv was delivered by a small outfit who probably couldn’t just eat the cost of replacing the tv.
the guy seems like a real lowlife that probably had no issue lying and was looking forward to bragging about his free tv. once someone came around asking for it, if he wasnt a crook he would have just let them come and take it away.

why is this the delivery company's expense to eat? i would think it would be the seller that is out the money.

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

10,008 posts, read 13,888,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

why is this the delivery company's expense to eat? i would think it would be the seller that is out the money.
Because the delivery company took it to the wrong address, not the sellers mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or