Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 09:10 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Certainly not a TV, but I have had issues with UPS in regards to this. We often get packages (and mail) for a house on our street with a similar house number and vice versa. Without giving that info online, they are one digit off, and if you look at them quickly, your eyes can play tricks. If it's a small package, we'll just take it over to the correct house, even though it's really not that close. But several times, it's been something big. One time, it was a very large, very heavy grill. I called Amazon, who was amazing. UPS, not so much. They left it on the wrong porch for about 3 weeks before they finally picked it up. This despite me, the the person it was delivered to, and Amazon contacting them EVERY DAY. The kicker is that UPS was literally here and there at least 5 times delivering other packages, and just left them on top of the one they were supposed to pick up.

It weighed about 100 pounds. I have approximately 20 steps leading to my front door, and the house it was delivered to is about a block away from mine. No way we could have safely moved it ourselves. And this is NOT the first, second, or even 10th time UPS has done it. Amazon even said to me that if they were the people it was delivered to, they would just keep it. It's almost abandonment at that point. Amazon had another one sent next day, so I wasn't waiting on my grill this whole time. UPS was literally infuriating in how much they just didn't care. And like I said, this happens all the time. I get that things are misdelivered. Mistakes happen. Leaving it there after being contacted at least 2 dozen times over 3 weeks, is a different story.
I don’t understand why you only called Amazon and waited three weeks, when the person whose TV it was lived only a block from you. Did you let them know so they could come pick it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 09:26 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t understand why you only called Amazon and waited three weeks, when the person whose TV it was lived only a block from you. Did you let them know so they could come pick it up?
She said in her post that Amazon delivered another grill to the intended recipient the next day. She also said she and Amazon contacted UPS over two dozen times. Her neighbors may not have had the ability to pick up the grill.

In my experience, when a mistake is made, UPS has the worst customer service.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:32 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Thank you for the politeness in trying to allow an adult to educate themselves. Let's hope you fair well in that endeavor .
The theft by conversion does not apply in this matter. Now run along and find something accurate.
Example of theft by conversion:signing a car rental agreement then hustling a person to buy it as if you owned it. That's a clear example.

This guy who acquired the TV wasn't selling it or converting it for other equity.
And yes it's a moral issue that is being harped on ...doing the "right" thing is not always the same as the legal accountability.
And we all know what is paved with good intent...
Ok, you are right and me and the cops are wrong. The guy is wrongly being charged, so that means you are smarter than everyone else in dealing with this slimeball. Why don't you send him some money to assist in his defense?
A person who would keep a $2k+ tv because he received it by mistake and has been made clear that they want it back has no moral compass. Since you agree with him, maybe that's you too?

Old 03-24-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
She said in her post that Amazon delivered another grill to the intended recipient the next day. She also said she and Amazon contacted UPS over two dozen times. Her neighbors may not have had the ability to pick up the grill.

In my experience, when a mistake is made, UPS has the worst customer service.
I didn’t see where they had delivered the person another grill the next day, sorry.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:49 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,788 times
I wonder if the shows are better on a stolen TV?

Old 03-24-2019, 12:06 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I side with the guy. Amazon told him not to worry about it, it's on the shipper. I don't see why he had to get arrested.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man-...230124458.html
Amazon has a 100% trust rating on Scam Adviser and other sites. They CANNOT let this go.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:11 PM

28 posts, read 4,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man
According to the comments on the Yahoo article, the article left out a pertinent detail: TWO television sets were delivered to the man -- a smaller one that he had ordered, and a larger one that he had not. And apparently he refused to return the mis-delivered one when asked to do so. (Presumably, he also refused to pay for it; but this was not disclosed.) So, given that, it sounds like it was proper to arrest him for theft.
Indeed so.. Another idiot trying to get away with basically stealing something!

Regardless of what Amazon said he should have called police asking what to do!

Old 03-24-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlayer View Post
Indeed so.. Another idiot trying to get away with basically stealing something!

Regardless of what Amazon said he should have called police asking what to do!
Apparently he didn’t care what the police thought, since he refused to cooperate with them when they came to his home before the charges and arrest, to ask why he wouldn’t give the TV to the driver who came to get it.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He doesn't even have to return it - he just has to get out of the way when they come to retrieve it.
Returning. I wrote it with the general meaning for giving it back when they requested the item back.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:50 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Sounds like he might have a TV and a couple of lawsuits on his hands...

According to the FEDS...

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ed-merchandise

"What do you do when you receive merchandise that you didn’t order? According to the Federal Trade Commission, you don’t have to pay for it. Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment."
  • So, maybe he gets a TV.
  • Can sue the merchant.
  • And can sue to cops.
Not at all how I read this. If a company sends unsolicited merchandise then this applies. If an order that I made to a retailer goes to someone else by mistake, whosever mistake, then I want it returned to me. What is so hard to understand? People who have a mind that is prone to deceive can think like this, and this is how misunderstandings happen, road rage happens, murder happens, etc. Common sense is not found in minds like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events