Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM

29,440 posts, read 22,361,743 times

Advertisements

I side with the guy. Amazon told him not to worry about it, it's on the shipper. I don't see why he had to get arrested.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man-...230124458.html

Quote:
A man from Freetown, Mass., was arrested on Monday night for keeping an 86-inch flat-screen TV that was mailed to his home by mistake, according to Boston 25 News.

Nick Memmo, 35, told the outlet what occurred at his home the night of his arrest. “They surrounded the house and knocked on the door with flashlights coming through all the windows. They told me to come outside then handcuffed me,” he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 09:52 AM

16,355 posts, read 10,368,317 times
According to the comments on the Yahoo article, the article left out a pertinent detail: TWO television sets were delivered to the man -- a smaller one that he had ordered, and a larger one that he had not. And apparently he refused to return the mis-delivered one when asked to do so. (Presumably, he also refused to pay for it; but this was not disclosed.) So, given that, it sounds like it was proper to arrest him for theft.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:58 AM

5,511 posts, read 6,429,846 times
How can you side with the guy? He received an item that did not belong to him, period. He did not order it, he did not pay for it, and anyone with a conscience knows you don't get to keep something that belongs to somebody else. You side with the guy, how can you justify this? A thief is a thief is a thief............And of course, "there is always more to the story", see bus man's comment about how the media left out a pertinent detail, like they do to start controversy. SMH.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,418,962 times
Any second now someone will come here posting how there's a law stating you get to keep whatever is delivered to you no matter what. Even if you didn't pay for it or order it. Happens every time on CD.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,446,553 times
Funny how police surrounded his house, they must have thought they were dealing with a real scarface type criminal!

Old 03-22-2019, 10:23 AM

19,399 posts, read 12,045,411 times
It sounds like he was messing with the police when they were investigating this whole thing. So when they went to arrest him they were prepared for him to be uncooperative.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 AM

1,156 posts, read 930,390 times
Another situation that could have been avoided through just a smidgen of integrity and common sense.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:14 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,105,407 times
Sounds like he might have a TV and a couple of lawsuits on his hands...

According to the FEDS...

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ed-merchandise

"What do you do when you receive merchandise that you didn’t order? According to the Federal Trade Commission, you don’t have to pay for it. Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment."
  • So, maybe he gets a TV.
  • Can sue the merchant.
  • And can sue to cops.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:26 AM

50,186 posts, read 35,859,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Any second now someone will come here posting how there's a law stating you get to keep whatever is delivered to you no matter what. Even if you didn't pay for it or order it. Happens every time on CD.
I was wondering how this works. I moved last year, and forgot to change my address on Etsy as I seldom use it. I ordered a gift at Christmas, got delivery notification but no package. I discover it was shipped to my old address!

I sent my fiancé over (only about 20 minutes away). It turned out ew people were living there. He knocked on the door and explained. The kid said they got the package, but it was with the dad. We left our number. For a few days they didn’t call and we thought they were going to keep it. I tried to find out if that was legal but Google was no help, and when I called the non-emergency police line, they wouldn’t tell me without sending a cop to my house to get a report, so I said forget it until I know. Luckily we got it back.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:28 AM

50,186 posts, read 35,859,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Sounds like he might have a TV and a couple of lawsuits on his hands...

According to the FEDS...

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ed-merchandise

"What do you do when you receive merchandise that you didn’t order? According to the Federal Trade Commission, you don’t have to pay for it. Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment."
  • So, maybe he gets a TV.
  • Can sue the merchant.
  • And can sue to cops.
They didn’t demand payment though. They are talking about a scam where they deliberately send something I asked for them demand the person pay for it. This is not what happened here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events