U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 AM

76,570 posts, read 68,596,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think it sounds like a lot of guns for New Hampshire. New Hampshire is a popular hunting and gun state, in fact it's tied for the number one state for gun ownership. I would bet 4 guns in the household is a low number for those who own guns there. Per the article they had: "two Kel-Tec P-3AT handguns; a .22-caliber rifle; and a 12-gauge shotgun.". I didn't see anything in this article about where they kept them.

By all accounts they sound like a very social, loving family very involved in sports together and other community endeavors. I hope people reserve judgement until facts are in, but right now there is no reason to believe they weren't good parents. The kids don't sound like they were isolated in the slightest.
It's not just the number of guns; it's about the fact that they were unsecured, with kids in the house. I'm sure NH requires guns to be secured. I would assume the state requires gun buyers to take a course in gun safety, but I don't know that for sure. Keeping guns unsecured in a house with a child, while applying to adopt more children, is blatant negligence. There's no way to whitewash that, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 10:58 AM

25,658 posts, read 5,245,752 times
OT a bit...

Just watched last night a program detailing how two stepchildren murdered the stepfather...

The mother had Bi-Polar and often took no meds so they reported abuse from her most of their lives...she died and the kids stayed with the stepfather who reportedly was a good guy and stepfather.

But, after he got a serious girlfriend and asked to have the house to themselves, the now college age kids felt he had moved his love elsewhere...and were resentful.

The boy was given 25 yrs., the girl life as it was felt she was the one to shoot him.

But she was terribly cold, hardly emotional.

They both reported they felt damaged from having an psych-impaired mother.....no doubt true.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:01 AM

19,620 posts, read 16,104,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not just the number of guns; it's about the fact that they were unsecured, with kids in the house. I'm sure NH requires guns to be secured. I would assume the state requires gun buyers to take a course in gun safety, but I don't know that for sure. Keeping guns unsecured in a house with a child, while applying to adopt more children, is blatant negligence. There's no way to whitewash that, IMO.
Do we know what gun they were shot with? I’m sure the child was trained in gun use, probably went hunting with his dad and maybe had his own gun for this. Gun owners do not think the same way that I may think. Often they feel that children should be trained and in safe firearm use but not necessarily restricted from them. I once went to a shooting range in Houston, and there were kids that look like they were eight or nine years old walking around with rifles slung over their shoulders. I’m sure in a state like New Hampshire that values gun ownership, there are a lot of kids that have their own guns.

I’m just saying, we don’t know the facts yet and there’s no reason to rush to judgment on these parents until we know what happened.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-25-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,639,299 times
It's terrible what has happened, murdered with their own unsecured firearms, by their adopted, home-schooled child. Thank God he didn't shoot anyone else, too.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:22 AM

1,161 posts, read 555,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm sure that's exactly what these parents told people, how wonderful their adopted children were. Right up to the point where a child fired a bullet into each of their brains.
If only they had a crystal ball......like all the other people in this country who were murdered......some who murdered their own children. They were not from Russia.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:35 PM

1,721 posts, read 709,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If this is true, they shouldn't have been approved to adopt. Whatever authority approved them shares the blame for this; whatever social worker or whoever it was that did a home visit to approve the parents should be dragged into court. This is outrageous!

Oh, but they're such a sweet, gentle couple, dontcha know? Their church members testified as to how wonderful they were. If they were so wonderful, why did they need a gun collection? I hope the LE can find out from the oldest child, their bio child, what provoked this incident, and what was really going on in the home.
Owning guns doesn't make them bad people. Lots of good people own guns, collect them, use them in hunting. <sheesh> And no I don't own guns and don't wish to. Who knows why this kid did this. We don't even know if the guns were locked up and he got the key. We can't determine anything by what is put in the press or put out in rumors. Look at the girl who's parents were killed and she was abducted, ya'all were bound and determined that she had a part in it.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:51 PM

4,752 posts, read 2,269,134 times
Thank you for a sensible comment - too many are assuming and rushing to judgement. Would you like people to assume and make judgements about you and yours without knowing the facts??? You might get that chance as what goes around comes around.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:58 PM

19,620 posts, read 16,104,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Owning guns doesn't make them bad people. Lots of good people own guns, collect them, use them in hunting. <sheesh> And no I don't own guns and don't wish to. Who knows why this kid did this. We don't even know if the guns were locked up and he got the key. We can't determine anything by what is put in the press or put out in rumors. Look at the girl who's parents were killed and she was abducted, ya'all were bound and determined that she had a part in it.

I tried to look up what kind of gun they were shot with, but the police are not releasing that. Because he's a juvenile apparently they can keep a lot of info under wraps.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:15 PM

12,600 posts, read 6,020,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think it sounds like a lot of guns for New Hampshire. New Hampshire is a popular hunting and gun state, in fact it's tied for the number one state for gun ownership. I would bet 4 guns in the household is a low number for those who own guns there. Per the article they had: "two Kel-Tec P-3AT handguns; a .22-caliber rifle; and a 12-gauge shotgun.". I didn't see anything in this article about where they kept them.

By all accounts they sound like a very social, loving family very involved in sports together and other community endeavors. I hope people reserve judgement until facts are in, but right now there is no reason to believe they weren't good parents. The kids don't sound like they were isolated in the slightest.
Per the bolded --- That is spot on. One of my siblings lived for quite a while in that same area where this family lived. In that area, gun ownership is very common.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:17 PM

322 posts, read 95,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think the key is in the phrase, "Adopted from Russia..."
Oh, please...
What about the 2 11 yo girls who were trying to kill a classmate friend?
You have never heard of cases where pre- pubescent American kids murder? The kid who killed the parents is an American kid- I have read they were adopted when the very little..- spent his whole life in the US..

How about these ones?
https://people.com/crime/father-wisc...year-old-girl/

https://www.thedailybeast.com/11-yea...clean-his-room
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/11-year...year-old-girl/

We all scream about guns, but sit in front of TV just one evening and count how many people get violently killed on the screen and how graphically it is shown in 4 k?

What about video games ( yes, I have read “ research” that violent videogames do not cause violence”)- we do not need a research about that, just common sense.
I think the school shootings seem to increase- as kids practice nearly every day to blow someone up playing videos. ( the 9/11 attackers never flown a real plane before- they used video to learn to fly)
Even in Europe they started having still rear school shootings, but it is there...

I am sure it is “Russia’ s fault..”
Come to think of it - the weather lately is pretty scary- those Russians at it again...
So sorry- the parents sound really nice- what a heartbreak...
We need to look into censoring violence in mass media

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-25-2019 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or