U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 05:23 PM

1,481 posts, read 474,643 times

Advertisements

Sadly there are videos that are encouraging kids to kill. Wonder if this child was watching them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 05:27 PM

76,605 posts, read 68,621,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Do we know what gun they were shot with? I’m sure the child was trained in gun use, probably went hunting with his dad and maybe had his own gun for this. Gun owners do not think the same way that I may think. Often they feel that children should be trained and in safe firearm use but not necessarily restricted from them. I once went to a shooting range in Houston, and there were kids that look like they were eight or nine years old walking around with rifles slung over their shoulders. I’m sure in a state like New Hampshire that values gun ownership, there are a lot of kids that have their own guns.

I’m just saying, we don’t know the facts yet and there’s no reason to rush to judgment on these parents until we know what happened.
Interesting point. Definitely a different point of view, potentially. Hopefully, we'll get more info on this case. Apparently, the police are withholding info for now, due to the perpetrator's age.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:35 PM

2,270 posts, read 830,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think the key is in the phrase, "Adopted from Russia..."
Do you care to provide any actual data showing that children adopted from Russia are more likely to kill their parents that other children?

I didn't think so.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:41 PM

11,076 posts, read 19,986,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Do we know what gun they were shot with? Iím sure the child was trained in gun use, probably went hunting with his dad and maybe had his own gun for this. Gun owners do not think the same way that I may think. Often they feel that children should be trained and in safe firearm use but not necessarily restricted from them. I once went to a shooting range in Houston, and there were kids that look like they were eight or nine years old walking around with rifles slung over their shoulders. Iím sure in a state like New Hampshire that values gun ownership, there are a lot of kids that have their own guns.

Iím just saying, we donít know the facts yet and thereís no reason to rush to judgment on these parents until we know what happened.
I'm a gun owner in Texas. I've taken my kids to the shooting range multiple times. Each of my kids has a gun she prefers to use at the range, but those guns are mine, since neither of my kids is legally old enough to own a gun. When we're not at the range, those guns are locked in my safe which my kids do not have access to. I think this is fairly normal for gun owners even in a state that values gun ownership.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:32 AM

19,635 posts, read 16,111,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm a gun owner in Texas. I've taken my kids to the shooting range multiple times. Each of my kids has a gun she prefers to use at the range, but those guns are mine, since neither of my kids is legally old enough to own a gun. When we're not at the range, those guns are locked in my safe which my kids do not have access to. I think this is fairly normal for gun owners even in a state that values gun ownership.
Well again, since this was just presupposition on my part and a guess, and we still do not know, letís reserve judgment.

Everything Iíve been able to find in the last few minutes, neither federal law nor New Hampshire law have restrictions on long gun possession by minors. There seems to be no minimum age whatsoever. Per the research below, Texas also does not have age restrictionís on possession of long guns.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-l...n/minimum-age/

Old 03-26-2019, 08:11 AM

5,855 posts, read 2,086,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not just the number of guns; it's about the fact that they were unsecured, with kids in the house. I'm sure NH requires guns to be secured. I would assume the state requires gun buyers to take a course in gun safety, but I don't know that for sure. Keeping guns unsecured in a house with a child, while applying to adopt more children, is blatant negligence. There's no way to whitewash that, IMO.

They lived on a farm. They raised livestock. It makes sense that at least one of the guns, probably the shot gun would be kept in the barn.

My husband's dad used to live on some acreage out in the country, and as they'd walk around the property, his dad would carry a shot gun in case they came accross any rattlers or water moccasins. And if you're raising chickens, you have to keep an eye out for coyotes and foxes getting to the chickens, etc.

One time, my husband and his dad were in the barn, and his dad suddenly pulled up the shot gun, aimed, and fired at something over my husband's shoulder. It was a rattle snake. Fell out of the rafter after his dad shot it.

It makes complete sense to have a gun or 2 or 3, etc. on a farm.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:27 AM

793 posts, read 279,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Do you care to provide any actual data showing that children adopted from Russia are more likely to kill their parents that other children?

I didn't think so.
My impression from that statement was twofold: second parents not honoring their child's first families/culture (Russia) is cruel to an adoptee plus the country of origin is known for not having good prenatal care.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM

3,699 posts, read 2,625,354 times
Reactive Attachment Disorder. My adopted granddaughter has it. They can be very charming and sweet one minute and extremely violent the next. Maybe this boy was struggling with it. Maybe that's why they home schooled him.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:56 AM

76,605 posts, read 68,621,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
My impression from that statement was twofold: second parents not honoring their child's first families/culture (Russia) is cruel to an adoptee plus the country of origin is known for not having good prenatal care.
I think the poster (fluffythewondercat) is referring to (I'll say it) the fact that there's a heightened risk of kids coming from Russia to have serious emotional disturbances, due to, in some cases, parents who were on drugs, maybe there's undiagnosed fetal alcohol syndrome, potentially serious abuse or neglect. I think this was especially true in the 90's, when the economy collapsed, people lost their jobs in droves, and drug use problems surfaced, and some parents effectively abandoned their kids. That was a long time ago at this point, though, and the situation has stabilized to a large extent; the country's on a more even keel. Though there can always be abuse due to substance abuse, as in any country, including the US.

Fluffy probably has in mind the cases that were in the news, in which parents sent their adoptees back, because they were too severely disturbed to be able to handle. But a few exceptional cases don't represent the entirety of Russia's orphanage population, or even a large part of it.

Unfortunately, there are few facts forthcoming on this case, which leaves it open to everyone to project their concerns onto it. (Thank you, posters, for explaining about NH's rural culture as it relates to gun possession. )

In this whole controversy, we've almost forgotten about the poor oldest child, who lost her bio parents. Hopefully, a relative reached out to her and took her in. One adoptee is in custody, and hopefully, the other adoptee has a home with relatives of the deceased, or the church community, as well.

Is there anyone here from NH, who can share whatever information is coming out in local news there?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-26-2019 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-26-2019, 11:01 AM

19,635 posts, read 16,111,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
There was almost a scandal about Russian orphanages adopting out kids who they knew to have psychological problems and hiding it from prospective parents. It was in the news a lot with segments on 20/20 and such, maybe 10 or more years ago. There was a spate of issues with adopted kids from Russia, culminating in that famous story of the adoptive parent unable to control the son she adopted, putting him on a plane and sending him back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or