Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:28 AM

270 posts, read 110,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again many couple who can’t have kids want babies, not kids. They want the newborn experience with bottles and diapers and first words and steps and all that. I had a coworker who waited 10 years for a baby.
Oh, I get it. They’re narcissists basically. They want a kid for the same reason someone wants a Bengal tiger or because it provides legitimacy to their social lives. Can’t believe I expected anything more from Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 12:05 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
This kid should have been out with kids at school and loved at home and guaranteed this would not happen, period. I hate home-schooling, all it does is isolate a child, IMO it's sick..

There are no guarantees on this planet when you're talking about human behavior. We know almost nothing about him. The boy may not have been able for a variety of reasons to handle public school. Many of the kids on my caseload have been expelled from school and have no choice -- it's a home-school option or nothing. Many of those kids are fostered or adopted, and many of them are excellently cared for. Not every home-schooling family is like the Turpins!

Old 04-25-2019, 12:37 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
Oh, I get it. They’re narcissists basically. They want a kid for the same reason someone wants a Bengal tiger or because it provides legitimacy to their social lives. Can’t believe I expected anything more from Americans.

OR,

They don't want older kids that have been in the foster care system too long. The older the kid, the more likely there will be institutional problems.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:10 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
I don’t agree with that assessment at all. I don’t think you understand the depth of pain felt by women and couples who long to raise a baby together. For some women it’s all they dreamed of since they were little girls. There is an incredible amount of pain involved, not narcissism in any way. Hardly unique to Americans either not sure where that came from.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-25-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 03:41 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think the key is in the phrase, "Adopted from Russia..."

^^
This

Old 04-25-2019, 07:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
^^
This
No point in speculating (the point was addressed earlier in the thread, anyway). I'm surprised more info hasn't come out in the news about this case. But then again, since the perpetrator was a child, confidentiality has to be maintained, so...we're out of luck, I guess. No follow-up.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:00 PM

480 posts, read 316,804 times
Not anything new in this article either.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/all-sh...by-11-year-old

Old 04-25-2019, 08:36 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
Not anything new in this article either.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/all-sh...by-11-year-old
There's a little bit of detail in this article we didn't have before: 4 guns and what type they were, and the fact that the couple had filed for bankruptcy in 2011. And that they'd adopted the boys when they were very young. So most of the kids' education and character formation came after the adoption. But who knows what their living conditions and care were like, in their first 2-3 years.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think the key is in the phrase, "Adopted from Russia..."
I did not read where the kid was born was a factor in this crime.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:02 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I did not read where the kid was born was a factor in this crime.
There was a spate of issues several years back, where kids adopted from Russian orphanages had significant psychological issues, with violent tendencies etc, and no interventions the parents tried helped. It was thought that the kids were not held or bonded with as infants and babies and it created emotional disturbances even when later adopted by loving families.

It culminated with the case of a woman who at her wits end and afraid of her own child, put him on a plane back to Russia, which led to the end of Russian babies being allowed to be adopted by Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events