U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

8,381 posts, read 3,148,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
I think you misunderstood him. Naturally in such a case you are going to be detained until they can sort out who is who and what happened, and that fits the strict legal definition of arrest. Being formally charged is another matter.
I understand the difference but I think one could still be formally charged with assault (or murder) for simply defending their homestead.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

3,881 posts, read 3,572,195 times
He IS a hero. But if he beat the man after he had stopped the assault, then he was indeed rightly charged with assault.

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

10,954 posts, read 9,919,192 times
Okay, that's better. The video taken was after the fact. Good to know the facts. I go back to my original comment that this guy shouldn't be prosecuted for any of this.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

42,978 posts, read 51,481,791 times
I'll donate to his defense fund.

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

639 posts, read 450,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Okay, that's better. The video taken was after the fact. Good to know the facts. I go back to my original comment that this guy shouldn't be prosecuted for any of this.
He made a bad decision in the ass kicking/video, but he did a much, much better deed in saving that poor helpless 5 year old. I hope the child doesn't remember this.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

8,967 posts, read 6,633,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
He made a bad decision in the ass kicking/video, but he did a much, much better deed in saving that poor helpless 5 year old. I hope the child doesn't remember this.

I suspect this will be pled down to a misdemeanor.. And.. I am talking about the assault charge here. I was a little vague with the pronouns before which led to some confusion.

He went well over the line based on what I can see.. The charges being brought are appropriate. Jail time likely is not and I see no reason for a felony conviction for him. But a point does need to be made that what he did was over the line.

Old Today, 12:14 AM

5,863 posts, read 1,873,902 times
This guy did a public service and should be rewarded, not prosecuted. The government is really full of hateful idiots, isn't it?
This is the kinda thing that makes people want to blow up government buildings.

Be better.

Old Today, 05:28 AM

858 posts, read 873,211 times
I get it.
I know a number of sexual assault survivors and the ALL have it with them for life. It's never far from their mind so, when this guy snapped he was coming at it from a different perspective than others.
Personally, I believe he helped the five year old from further abuse AND gave the him some closure. That child will not doubt himself in the future, he won't think 'was it my fault?', 'could I have done something to prevent it?' He will know someone saw it and reacted violently on his behalf.

If it was one of my children of grandchildren there would only be one story as we say here in Boston.

Posting a video is a generational thing. EVERYTHING today's generation does today is posted. I don't see that as any factor at all.

I don't even see this as street justice. He STOPPED AN ATTACK ON A CHILD! If he went Rambo on the child, lucky for the child molester. At least he's still alive. He could have stopped the attack with a weapon.

As far as protecting your property and being charged... I was taught that your first shot is defense against the attacker, the second shot is defense against charges. (Put one in the ceiling and say you fired a warning shot)

Old Today, 11:54 AM

8,967 posts, read 6,633,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I get it.
I know a number of sexual assault survivors and the ALL have it with them for life. It's never far from their mind so, when this guy snapped he was coming at it from a different perspective than others.
Personally, I believe he helped the five year old from further abuse AND gave the him some closure. That child will not doubt himself in the future, he won't think 'was it my fault?', 'could I have done something to prevent it?' He will know someone saw it and reacted violently on his behalf.

If it was one of my children of grandchildren there would only be one story as we say here in Boston.

Posting a video is a generational thing. EVERYTHING today's generation does today is posted. I don't see that as any factor at all.

I don't even see this as street justice. He STOPPED AN ATTACK ON A CHILD! If he went Rambo on the child, lucky for the child molester. At least he's still alive. He could have stopped the attack with a weapon.

As far as protecting your property and being charged... I was taught that your first shot is defense against the attacker, the second shot is defense against charges. (Put one in the ceiling and say you fired a warning shot)

You could also look at it as he beat someone to within an inch of their life in front of a 5 year old. Deserved or not, now that 5 year old may grow up thinking that it is acceptable. After all, he doesn't necessarily equate the context of him being abused with the beating.

and.. Remember, the taxpayers are now footing the medical bills for the guy who was beaten as well.

Old Today, 06:37 PM

639 posts, read 450,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You could also look at it as he beat someone to within an inch of their life in front of a 5 year old. Deserved or not, now that 5 year old may grow up thinking that it is acceptable. After all, he doesn't necessarily equate the context of him being abused with the beating.

and.. Remember, the taxpayers are now footing the medical bills for the guy who was beaten as well.
Yeah let me know when you get your tax refund check LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or