U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 10:18 AM

3,263 posts, read 1,765,664 times

Advertisements

That must have been quite the surprise when he went to replace the hospital gown with some underwear and pants.

Article said that the hospital apologized for the mistake. "Oh man, we're really sorry about that. Well, have a good day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 AM

7,858 posts, read 5,826,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well, it's not like it can be changed back. So, realistically, he doesn't have a lot of options except to get over it.

He might get a small settlement, but it happened in the UK where they don't have a system where you can sue anyone over anything and expect to receive multi-millions over it.
Is that true? They have the same common law system that we do I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah but if he liked his unit the way god made it there is a problem. Your post reads as if he should get over it
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I'm not sure why you think I have insecurities or even any concerns about my sex life. I'm perfectly happy with my sex life and have no issues (in America, or when I was in the UK).

The previous poster is saying that it's okay that this man is circumcised when he didn't want to be. And for some reason, you're supporting this viewpoint. I wholeheartedly disagree with you. If this man wanted to be circumcised, he would have gone in for that procedure. But he went in for a different procedure. If you're okay with this malpractice, I hope you never become a doctor.
I don't think anyone's ok with the malpractice. What they're alluding to is that in the grand scheme of things, this will have a relatively low impact long term. Especially when you think of the consequences of other medical screwups.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:16 AM

10,623 posts, read 6,292,420 times
Probably for the better. But he shouldn’t have to pay the bill.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:32 AM

10,188 posts, read 20,955,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Wow, can't believe that happened. My husband just had a knee operation, he and the doctor both initialed the thigh above the knee to be operated on, several times they asked him what he was in for. Before he was wheeled down they put a wrap around the other knee and again asked him what knee was being operated on and checked the chart.
Every time I had something done they check and double, triple check. They write on the body part that's having surgery or injections and sign it but I'm in NJ. I could see this happen in little town USA still.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:13 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,611,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
No not really. He does have one heck of a lawsuit. When he sees the $$$$$$, it probably won`t seem so bad.
If it happened anywhere outside the US, no big payout.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:12 AM

4,581 posts, read 2,109,780 times
Quote:
The error was one of eight "never events" last year ...

1. January: Patient wrongly connected to air flowmeter instead of oxygen.
2. March: Swab left inside child who had adenoidectomy.
3. April: Patient wrongly connected to air flowmeter instead of oxygen.
4. April: Medics mix-up notes of men with similar names meaning patient has wrong operation.
5. May: Patient had wrong surgery after blunder with consent form process.
6. June: Surgeons incorrectly mark a patient for an angiogram.
7. September: Male patient mistakenly circumcised when he was supposed to have a cystoscopy.
8. November: Patient has a hip nail implanted in the wrong side.
I’ve worked in hospitals for years & I honestly could not tell you if this is representative of a common year or not because this sort of occurrence is kept under what is the equivalent of a “media blackout”. Most of the “incident reports” I was even aware of were due to things like; the shift change narcotics count being off or an employee sustaining a needle-stick injury.

Seriously; I don’t think the issue is about whether or not a foreskin is of any consequence because obviously, it is; it’s just not as consequential as a limb or an organ. It’s that if “cystoscope” can be mistaken for “circumcision”, then nothing & nobody is safe.

Numbers 1 & 3 were not errors by doctors; the fault lies with nursing staff & it happens more than you would think. Number 2 should have been caught during a surgical count procedure. All the rest could have been the fault of a unit clerk but could have been avoided if the doctors would have taken a minute to read the patients H & P (history & physical). Numbers 1, 2, 3 & 6 were the most deadly.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 AM

609 posts, read 259,228 times
Welcome to the tribe!!!

Old 03-28-2019, 07:52 AM

545 posts, read 187,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Wow. Even though the service left him short-changed, he still left a tip.

Wish I’d said that.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:14 PM

28 posts, read 1,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke
He might get a small settlement, but it happened in the UK where they don't have a system where you can sue anyone over anything and expect to receive multi-millions over it.
Yes he should try and get something..... They did things and they had no authority to do it!!

Old 03-28-2019, 06:20 PM

1,411 posts, read 595,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I knew a guy who had to be circumcised for medical reasons at the age of 45. He said it was the worst thing that had ever happened to him.
You don’t say why he said that, post op pain? Wished he’d never had it done? Felt that it hadn’t been necessary?
I was circumcised around the age of 50-52, due to phimosis, (tightening of foreskin).
Naturally, I wasn’t overjoyed at the thought of being anaesthetised, with a team around me with some guy holding my Johnson in one hand, and a scalpel in the other, but the result was so good, I felt like showing the taxi driver on the way home, after they let me out the following day.
One thing I recall, the surgeon came to see me before discharging me, he said, “No matter how anxious you are to try your new look toy out, DON’T use it in anger for at least a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or