Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:19 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,623,585 times

Advertisements

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/26/...ve-article-13/

The Copyright Directive makes internet platforms liable for content uploaded to their sites. Companies like Facebook, YouTube and Google will be responsible for checking all uploaded content for copyrighted material, per Article 13 (renamed Article 17). And news aggregators will be required to pay for snippets that go beyond "individual words or very short extracts," thanks to Article 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 PM

91 posts, read 31,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

The Copyright Directive makes internet platforms liable for content uploaded to their sites. Companies like Facebook, YouTube and Google will be responsible for checking all uploaded content for copyrighted material, per Article 13 (renamed Article 17). And news aggregators will be required to pay for snippets that go beyond "individual words or very short extracts," thanks to Article 11.
This really ought to be bigger news than what we're seeing. The implications are huge. We already have copyright and fair use laws to protect publishers. As I understand it, this law is going to supercede those, and apply to images as well as videos. If so, how can memes and GIFs be excluded? And how are the tech companies supposed to enforce this? How can Facebook survive without allowing their users to post memes? NO copyrighted material on YouTube? So many questions here.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:26 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,470,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rftw View Post
This really ought to be bigger news than what we're seeing. The implications are huge. We already have copyright and fair use laws to protect publishers. As I understand it, this law is going to supercede those, and apply to images as well as videos. If so, how can memes and GIFs be excluded? And how are the tech companies supposed to enforce this? How can Facebook survive without allowing their users to post memes? NO copyrighted material on YouTube? So many questions here.
They will probably make users click something to ensure they are aware of the new rules and if they break them, they are gone, or banned. We will probably see quite a few users being banned once it takes effect.

I dont think enforcement will be a huge issue for them, look at network tv, the FCC manages to catch just about everything that conflicts with their rules, it should be about the same with this new law.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They will probably make users click something to ensure they are aware of the new rules and if they break them, they are gone, or banned. We will probably see quite a few users being banned once it takes effect.

I dont think enforcement will be a huge issue for them, look at network tv, the FCC manages to catch just about everything that conflicts with their rules, it should be about the same with this new law.
City-Data has had it part of their TOS for years.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,435,874 times
Bye bye memes

Old 03-27-2019, 08:47 AM

15,246 posts, read 8,856,020 times
Quote:

I really don't understand what they are trying to accomplish. Most US news sites are already being blocked in the EU, because of the EU's General Data Protection Regulation. I guess they are double downing on it. I suspect it will just lead to more sites being blocked in the EU. It just means it will be harder for Europeans to get information. This could end up being the end if the internet as we know it.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,470,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Bye bye memes
Good riddance imo!

Old 03-28-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Bye bye memes
Per the link:

Quote:
memes and GIFs are now specifically excluded from the directive

Old 03-28-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I really don't understand what they are trying to accomplish. Most US news sites are already being blocked in the EU, because of the EU's General Data Protection Regulation. I guess they are double downing on it. I suspect it will just lead to more sites being blocked in the EU. It just means it will be harder for Europeans to get information. This could end up being the end if the internet as we know it.

The US passing legislation is not the same as the EU as each country in the EU has to put in their 2 euros in order for it to become law.

Quote:
...the EU's member states need to accept the Copyright Directive's text. Then, they'll have two years to implement it.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:22 PM

91 posts, read 31,146 times
Quote:
Per the link:
Does this directive apply to images or not? If so, then on what basis are memes going to be excluded? This is what I'm trying to understand. That is, you can still meme using a copyrighted image, as long as you don't...what? What is the standard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events