Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 10:14 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Krispy Kreme was started by locals in Winston Salem NC. Now that they grew and sold out to these people, the original owners must be stirring in their seats....of course they didn't know the history until now.
The title is misleading; it leads people to believe, that Krispy Kreme was a German enterprise. It was only acquired by this German family. Thanks for clarifying that.

This is a very American reaction, to say that subsequent generations aren't responsible for previous generations' actions. The view is very different in Germany; I'm sure you can understand why. Germany's dealt with its history much differently than the US has.
Quote:
The Luxembourg-based JAB Holding Company also has controlling stakes in Keurig Dr. Pepper, Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Caribou Coffee, and Pret a Manger, among others.*
That's interesting; I thought Starbucks owned Peet's Coffee. They sell it as their brand.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 AM

972 posts, read 542,287 times
From what I've heard, guilt over Nazi crimes in WW2 still has a tight grip on many Germans. Along with what I have no doubt is a sincere guilt, the family could have wanted to dig up the full story when they were prepared for it, rather than somebody else digging it up at a worse time. I see nothing wrong with them being preemptive about it to protect their business interests. They aren't directly responsible for what people in previous generations did, but they are directly responsible for their businesses and the welfare of those who depend on that business' stability. It's an unfortunate history to have dropped in one's lap, but I think they addressed it honorably.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
From what I've heard, guilt over Nazi crimes in WW2 still has a tight grip on many Germans. Also, the family could have wanted to dig up the full story when they were prepared for it, rather than somebody else digging it up at a worse time. I see nothing wrong with them being preemptive about it. They aren't directly responsible for what people in previous generations did, but they are directly responsible for their business interests and the welfare of those who depend on that business' stability. It's an unfortunate history to have dropped in one's lap, but I think they addressed it honorably.
I think that's commendable of them.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:34 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why do you think they should do more? Those involved with the crimes are long dead. I would hate to found out some not too distant relatives did some horrifying stuff, but I wouldn't feel like I need to atone for their sins. It's great that they're donating this money, but I don't see it as something they have to do.
Agree, that personally they are not responsible for the crimes of the fathers.
If the new generation obtained their money on their own- you are right: it is unpleasant but they have no moral obligations in any capacity o compensate the victims.
I doubt however that the wealth is not at least partially inherited- hence, they owe their own successes to a forced slave labor of Russians and French: they must give it back or remedy it in some way.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes but their business profited from slave labor. The ensuing profits were built on the backs of the wartime profits. That is my assumption, at any rate. It is right that they pay some sort of reparations.
All of this has been dealt with and payments made years ago. The only thing outstanding regarding the Nazis are missing/stolen things like art, and fugitive war criminals who are all about dead anyway. All business relation accounts have been settled, as have foreign relations accounts between countries.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
All of this has been dealt with and payments made years ago. The only thing outstanding regarding the Nazis are missing/stolen things like art, and fugitive war criminals who are all about dead anyway. All business relation accounts have been settled, as have foreign relations accounts between countries.
So? They can't make a charitable gesture, even though "all accounts have been settled"? Apparently they don't feel that their family account has been settled.

Since the free labor in their factories consisted of French and Russian POW's, it would have been interesting, if they'd decided to set up a couple of charitable foundations in France and Russia, instead of making a gift to their own government...

Old 03-26-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So? They can't make a charitable gesture, even though "all accounts have been settled"? Apparently they don't feel that their family account has been settled.

Since the free labor in their factories consisted of French and Russian POW's, it would have been interesting, if they'd decided to set up a couple of charitable foundations in France and Russia, instead of making a gift to their own government...
Never said that, read the post I was responding to. Read my first post on this thread. They can give 100% of their money away for all I care.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Never said that, read the post I was responding to. Read my first post on this thread. They can give 100% of their money away for all I care.
Your post was making the point that all business accounts were settled already. But this family hasn't found that in their business' history. Whether or not they looked for specifically that, we don't know, but they did hire an historian. Anyway, I think they did this as much for their own conscience as for Germany, or descendants of their workers (most of whom probably didn't settle in Germany, anyway), or whoever.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Your post was making the point that all business accounts were settled already. But this family hasn't found that in their business' history. Whether or not they looked for specifically that, we don't know, but they did hire an historian. Anyway, I think they did this as much for their own conscience as for Germany, or descendants of their workers (most of whom probably didn't settle in Germany, anyway), or whoever.
No, i was saying in regards to the poster stating about how the family potentially has money owed due to use of forced labor. I said all those accounts have been settled. The German government determined about this family, whatever they determined, so they should see the result of such investigation and remedies. Given they did not know about this, they probably do not know about a lot of other things that occurred.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:11 PM

574 posts, read 382,574 times
Not the current owners problem, nor should people want them to denounce or pay up... BUT, I do say its pretty honorable that they did at the end of the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events