U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

68 posts, read 24,380 times

Advertisements

Just so you know...not a topical current event.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/jus...ges/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,265,787 times
It appears we need a refresher for how the Current Events forum works since the stickies are getting stale, so I'm leaving this up instead of deleting.

Please note that this is the Current Events forum for Non-Political, or very conversial topics. Topics such as the above lead to discussions about race and politics. The rules for this forum are interpreted literally, this means there that these guidelines have to be strictly enforced. That being said if there is a controversial current event that you want to discuss you can always do so in the "Politics and Other Controversies" section of the forum. That is the busiest section on City-Data. Chances are by the time you want to post a "current event" in P&OC there are already two or three topics on the same subject already in progress. I know it seems lacking common sense, or illogical to not be able to discuss what are important current events in the current events forum. Until the guidelines for the section are modified we will continue to apply the rules as they are. Again you are quite welcome to discuss what you want you just have to make sure you're doing it in the right places.

I'm going to leave this thread open for people to ask questions. If you have a topic you want to discuss and you are unsure where to put it, feel free to ask in this thread. It may work better than forumers seeing their threads deleted and then posting trolling comments on the moderators profile wall. Trust me there's pretty much nothing you can call me that I haven't already heard at this point.

I know we all have opinions and sometimes we just can't resist sharing them, or forcing them on others. However This thread will be kept strictly business so peanut gallery comments or pot shots will be deleted.

Last edited by mjlo; Yesterday at 11:47 AM..

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

8,919 posts, read 4,497,477 times
Could I respectfully offer a couple of suggestions?

Is it necessary to delete the off topic threads? Could they just be locked? I know often a poster comes here and doesn't see a thread on their topic, so they post it not realizing that the topic has already been posted and deleted. And perhaps seeing locked threads will serve as a reminder that people need to be more thoughtful about where they post? Or is that wishful thinking?

Perhaps a forum name change would be helpful? (I don't know how possible that is) Maybe "Non-Controversial Current Events"?

Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Could I respectfully offer a couple of suggestions?

Is it necessary to delete the off topic threads? Could they just be locked? I know often a poster comes here and doesn't see a thread on their topic, so they post it not realizing that the topic has already been posted and deleted. And perhaps seeing locked threads will serve as a reminder that people need to be more thoughtful about where they post? Or is that wishful thinking?

Perhaps a forum name change would be helpful? (I don't know how possible that is) Maybe "Non-Controversial Current Events"?
I think those are great suggestions(and of course suggestions are welcome ). We have requested forum leadership modify the title of the forum to be more clear and they are apprehensive to do so(for reasons that are not clear to me). In terms of locking threads we have done this before too. One of the downsides to locking threads is that a locked thread alone is not a clear enough indication that a topic is prohibited in this section. It is only effective if the moderator includes the reason it was locked. Aside from that as other topics get commented on those locked thread disappear to older pages and it no longer creates the desired awareness.

That's why we've settled on a no tolerance policy(in rare specific cases we will move a thread). At this point these rules have been consistently enforced for over three years. It reflects in the culture and the vast majority of current events regulars are well aware what to post. For the most part there really aren't that many threads to delete. In some cases yes, it is wishful thinking as well. It seems no matter how much awareness we drive for these guidelines there will always be people who don't pay attention and post how they see fit. That's just life I suppose.

Old Today, 12:46 PM

8,979 posts, read 6,637,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

Everything is controversial in one way or another.

Like your vs you're

Old Today, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Like your vs you're
Well the point wasn't to eliminate ALL controversy from Current Events. Any discussion will have point/counterpoint. There are specific subjects that are impossible to discuss without them looping back to a political debate/flame war. These are the ones we are concerned with here, they are deemed too controversial and should be discussed in the appropriate section.

Old Today, 01:55 PM

8,919 posts, read 4,497,477 times
Quote:

Like your vs you're
That's not controversial. That's cut-and-dry right or wrong. LOL!

Old Today, 02:25 PM

8,979 posts, read 6,637,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Well the point wasn't to eliminate ALL controversy from Current Events. Any discussion will have point/counterpoint. There are specific subjects that are impossible to discuss without them looping back to a political debate/flame war. These are the ones we are concerned with here, they are deemed too controversial and should be discussed in the appropriate section.

Well, my point was a jab at the topic title, hoping someone would change it.

However, to your point.. Controversy is made, not necessarily inherent. Looking at the topics on the first page, the only one that I look at and would say "Oh, that's gonna start trouble" is the circumcision one. By itself.. Nothing wrong with it. It's a current event.. But you know what will come in. It'll wind up going that direction. We all pretty much know it's a matter of time. Should the OP be blamed for that? Of course not.

I'm actually a touch surprised at the debate/controversy on the Nazi Donuts.

The petition topic.. I mean, that delves into politics. I certainly wouldn't want to see ALOT of those in this forum, but.. Have to say it probably is toeing the line if not over it.

The Trebek topic.. Normally those get shunted over to Celebrities. Right or wrong on that.. I've been surprised that topic has remained (And there is one on the topic in the Celebrities forum already).. But.. That's a very good example. I suspect you would come back on that with "It's a current event", and you'd be right. And I'd also be right that 9 times out of 10, that topic would wind up in the celebrities forum.

At the end of the day, most things are going to be a judgement call. Mods should be the ones to make that judgement call. OPs should do their best to put a topic in a forum that they feel is right. If it's not.. Mods move it to the correct. If you have one or two people doing it consistently.. Deal with those people individually. If you try to make a list of things that should go in each forum, it'll be 20 pages long and.. You'll STILL be moving topics into the 'correct' forum.

Imagine a topic of "Picture of Trump eating Salmon while petting dog with UFO in background"

Is that politics, humor, paranormal, food, pets or photography forum?

Old Today, 03:02 PM

21,411 posts, read 27,374,780 times
I thought petitions weren't allowed here.

I posted a petition concerning the fate of a feral cat colony several weeks ago in the cliquish little "pet forum" here because I was trying to help the cats.

I suppose a bunch of them tripped over themselves to report it, and it was removed by a mod. I was told that petitions weren't allowed on C-D and received no reply when I asked where it stated that in the ToS.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Today at 03:23 PM..

Old Today, 03:03 PM

2,142 posts, read 775,236 times
Quote:
Well, my point was a jab at the topic title, hoping someone would change it.

However, to your point.. Controversy is made, not necessarily inherent. Looking at the topics on the first page, the only one that I look at and would say "Oh, that's gonna start trouble" is the circumcision one. By itself.. Nothing wrong with it. It's a current event.. But you know what will come in. It'll wind up going that direction. We all pretty much know it's a matter of time. Should the OP be blamed for that? Of course not.

I'm actually a touch surprised at the debate/controversy on the Nazi Donuts.

The petition topic.. I mean, that delves into politics. I certainly wouldn't want to see ALOT of those in this forum, but.. Have to say it probably is toeing the line if not over it.

The Trebek topic.. Normally those get shunted over to Celebrities. Right or wrong on that.. I've been surprised that topic has remained (And there is one on the topic in the Celebrities forum already).. But.. That's a very good example. I suspect you would come back on that with "It's a current event", and you'd be right. And I'd also be right that 9 times out of 10, that topic would wind up in the celebrities forum.

At the end of the day, most things are going to be a judgement call. Mods should be the ones to make that judgement call. OPs should do their best to put a topic in a forum that they feel is right. If it's not.. Mods move it to the correct. If you have one or two people doing it consistently.. Deal with those people individually. If you try to make a list of things that should go in each forum, it'll be 20 pages long and.. You'll STILL be moving topics into the 'correct' forum.

Imagine a topic of "Picture of Trump eating Salmon while petting dog with UFO in background"

Is that politics, humor, paranormal, food, pets or photography forum?
I don't see what point you're trying to make.

You don't post about the latest NFL developments in CURRENT EVENTS even though, strictly speaking, they are events and they are current. However, you know perfectly well that they belong in the PRO FOOTBALL sub-forum and not this one.

There are certainly some gray areas, and it's up to the moderators to draw the lines as best they can, but to claim that everything is controversial to someone and therefore it is not possible to define certain things but not all things as unacceptably controversial for this forum is the equivalent of claiming that CURRENT EVENTS is the proper forum for following the Monday Night Football game as it progresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events