U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 03:18 PM

9,568 posts, read 5,766,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Miss Terri, my husband's niece is a strict Vegan. She reads all labels to make sure there are no animal products. In fact she will not wear clothing from an animal, wool included.

If she ever read the ingredients in vaccines, available from CDC's website, she would be horrified. Bovine serum? Monkey Cells? Grown in Egg or Mosquito culture? Even cow's milk would send her into a frenzy.

This gets into a Philosophical Exemption. She has the right to not eat or wear animal products, but so what if we inject you with animal products? I believe this is Celeb Vegan Kat Von D's objections as well.

Edit: Niece is 50 and has no children of her own. Will these medical professionals on here deny there are no animal products in vaccines? CDC says so.
I’m sure some here would tell her that she should take the vaccine anyway. It’s amazing how many people think they can tell another person what they must do with their own body.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Amazing! We agree on something. I have suggested that very thing in several vaccine threads.
The difference is you want to require vaccines for entry to the US AND take away all exemptions. I’m sure once that’s accomplished you’ll then start gunning for adult mandates. “Don’t want your flu vaccine? Then good luck renewing your driver’s license. Your choice”. Right Suzy?

Old 04-07-2019, 03:33 PM

4,869 posts, read 2,238,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
All I know is my friend is on edge yet again because of the measles epidemic in Washington. The measles vaccine doesn't take with her and as an adult, if she gets measles, she'll really be in trouble. And it's infuriating that she has to worry about something like this AGAIN because some parents selfishly refuse to vaccinate their children.
I am also, what is known as a “Non-Responder” to the Measles vaccine. I am neither worried nor infuriated. I would never want to be used as a ‘martyr on a stick’, to guilt people into using vaccines; if they did actually have reason to believe that their child may not tolerate it well. As in; be susceptible to a serious adverse vaccine reaction.

Your child’s brain is precious & adverse reactions to vaccines involve immune-mediated changes to cells, neurons & synapses that cannot be healed once the injury occurs. Don’t risk that if someone uses me or someone like me, as an example of your responsibility to the ‘herd’.

You think that herd will be there for you while you struggle with a disabled child? My experience has been that, NO; they will not. You will be on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
NICU? If I had a baby in there, I would be screaming if they let in people who weren't vaccinated. Not only that, but I'd be screaming if they let in any kids at all. Kids are little germ factories. There's no telling what they could be passing on to premies and other newborns.
Statistically speaking, that unvaccinated person has a better chance of being the doctor than some random kid. In New York, 85.9% of your hospital staff will have had their flu shot ... but only 74.5% of the doctors have.

Ohio? 86.9% of staff but only 65.2% of the doctors. In Florida, only 49.9% of the doctors have been immunized. Look up your own state here: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/datast...itals-2017.pdf

Old 04-07-2019, 03:51 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
You are making the assumption that all "licensed independent practitioners" are doctors, and no employees are. Both are untrue. Many PAs and NPs are independent as well, and many doctors work for the hospitals including hospitalists and doctors who work for practices owned by hospitals.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:10 PM

23,283 posts, read 28,085,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I’m sure some here would tell her that she should take the vaccine anyway. It’s amazing how many people think they can tell another person what they must do with their own body.
Who are "some"? I specifically said that vegans can choose not to vaccinate.

Quote:
The difference is you want to require vaccines for entry to the US AND take away all exemptions. I’m sure once that’s accomplished you’ll then start gunning for adult mandates. “Don’t want your flu vaccine? Then good luck renewing your driver’s license. Your choice”. Right Suzy?
Where have I given any indication that I support what you are saying?

The only exemptions supported by science are for valid medical reasons. "I do not want to vaccinate because ... ingredients ... or ... autism ... or ... berry juice ... or ... YouTube videos ... are not valid reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Your child’s brain is precious & adverse reactions to vaccines involve immune-mediated changes to cells, neurons & synapses that cannot be healed once the injury occurs.

Statistically speaking, that unvaccinated person has a better chance of being the doctor than some random kid. In New York, 85.9% of your hospital staff will have had their flu shot ... but only 74.5% of the doctors have.

Ohio? 86.9% of staff but only 65.2% of the doctors. In Florida, only 49.9% of the doctors have been immunized. Look up your own state here: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/datast...itals-2017.pdf
Please provide a peer reviewed source that shows that adverse reactions to vaccines "involve immune-mediated changes to cells, neurons & synapses that cannot be healed once the injury occurs."

Most adverse reactions are not serious and resolve with no permanent effects.

Katarina has responded to your claim about doctors not taking flu vaccine.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:12 PM

12,555 posts, read 10,422,510 times
Last year when I had the flu and tested positive at my doctor's office, my doctor told me they had 12 influenza A cases come in the previous morning. Just the morning, before 12. I can only hope for their own sake that the staff are all immunized if they safely can be.

I will never not get the flu shot again, btw. Had the flu for the first time in my life last year, not surprising because many at my school were sick. It was a bad year for it. It knocked me out flat for a week, took even longer to feel myself again. Don't want that inconvenience again in my life, I'll do whatever I can to lower my risk and that of others.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:26 PM

I had the flu this winter for the first time in at least two decades, maybe longer. The first 24 hours were the worst but after that I would mostly describe it as being tiring and annoying (the coughing part). Inconvenient is a very good descriptor. That said, it didn’t make me wish for the flu vaccine or for tamiflu. I think it’s great that we can all choose how to care for ourselves as we wish.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:40 PM

23,283 posts, read 28,085,400 times
Quote:
I had the flu this winter for the first time in at least two decades, maybe longer. The first 24 hours were the worst but after that I would mostly describe it as being tiring and annoying (the coughing part). Inconvenient is a very good descriptor. That said, it didn’t make me wish for the flu vaccine or for tamiflu. I think it’s great that we can all choose how to care for ourselves as we wish.
For some people it was more than inconvenient. They were hospitalized. More than a few died.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:20 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Miss Terri, my husband's niece is a strict Vegan. She reads all labels to make sure there are no animal products. In fact she will not wear clothing from an animal, wool included.

If she ever read the ingredients in vaccines, available from CDC's website, she would be horrified. Bovine serum? Monkey Cells? Grown in Egg or Mosquito culture? Even cow's milk would send her into a frenzy.

This gets into a Philosophical Exemption. She has the right to not eat or wear animal products, but so what if we inject you with animal products? I believe this is Celeb Vegan Kat Von D's objections as well.

Edit: Niece is 50 and has no children of her own. Will these medical professionals on here deny there are no animal products in vaccines? CDC says so.
Why must you be so "in your face" to health care professionals? No one has ever said there are no animal products used to make vaccines. Whether these products are actually in the vaccines is a different story. There is an egg-free flu vaccine.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:09 PM

5,362 posts, read 2,724,371 times
What so many are forgetting is that lack of vaccinations, like smoking and drunk driving, is a public health risk. As in, I wouldn't care one iota what happens to people who smoke, drive drunk, or don't vaccinate if it only affected them. Unfortunately, that's not the case. For all you people who don't want to vaccinate your kids, why don't you want to use the same logic on people who drink? After all, it's their bodies and their livers they're ruining. Why should the government or the state have any say in restricting the amount of alcohol people put in their bodies and what they do after they're drunk?

But the same people who demand to have the right not to vaccinate would have a fit if we didn't attempt to stop drunk drivers from driving by arresting them. What is the disconnect in the minds of people who refuse to allow their child to be vaccinated and don't care if that unvaccinated child endangers others when he goes out into public but then turn around and say it's perfectly all right to arrest drunk drivers who likewise endanger others when they go out and drive drunk in public?
Attached Thumbnails
Officials in Rockland County, New York, have declared a countywide State of Emergency after a measles outbreak-x4tfxg325pq21.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or