U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2019, 02:14 PM

9,595 posts, read 5,802,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Frankly, I found this string of conversation to be rather anti-semitic. It's well known there's a lot of anti-semitism in the anti-vaccine movement.
https://secular.org/2019/04/an-outbr...anti-semitism/
https://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2...on-journalists

Secondly, how many cases of measles does it take to call it an outbreak, officially that is?

There have been other outbreaks in other communities with low vaccination rates, for ex, the Slavic community in Clark County, WA, the Amish community in Ohio and the Disneyland attending community in southern California and other states.
https://www.vox.com/2019/3/19/182636...9-clark-county
I think you’re looking for a conspiracy if you found the conversation to be “anti-Semitic” when people are just stating the known facts. I don’t even know how your propaganda blogger or yourself would come up with such a thing as “anti-vaxxers are anti-Semitic”. Maybe spend some time outside and get some fresh air because that kind of thinking is not based in reality and it’s really hateful.

Officially an outbreak is more then 3 cases.

Edit: I really hope you read the full article you linked to the NYT where you claimed that “anti-vaxxers are anti-Semitic”. It does not say what you think it does. It instead talks about people who are vaxxed fearing and treating Orthodox Jews badly because they assume that they are not vaccinated. That’s exactly the kind of thing that you are trying to do here to people who are for choice. Get people to hate those who may not vaccinate 100% on schedule or at all.

Last edited by MissTerri; 04-05-2019 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-05-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What is really happening is that anti-vaxers are being called out for the pseudoscientific nonsense that they use to support not vaccinating.

It's not slander if it is true.

You are welcome to choose not to vaccinate. Just be willing to accept the consequences, including keeping your children at home during a measles outbreak if they are not vaccinated against measles.
Sorry but no matter how many times you make that claim it’s not true. Many people labeled “anti-vaxxers” which includes anyone who doesn’t follow the vaccine schedule to a T spend a lot of time reading scientific studies, not “psuedo-science” and take the issue very seriously. You’re trying so hard to make it seem like anyone who doesn’t follow the schedule perfectly or forgos one or more vaccines is stupid or crazy and that’s just not the reality of it.

It’s not true so it is slander. It’s hate speech and you’re actively spreading it.

There are reasonable things that can be done in an outbreak to prevent it’s spread but we don’t agree that what’s happening in Rockland County is reasonable.

Last edited by MissTerri; 04-05-2019 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-05-2019, 03:01 PM

6,373 posts, read 3,580,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think you’re looking for a conspiracy if you found the conversation to be “anti-Semitic” when people are just stating the known facts. I don’t even know how your propaganda blogger or yourself would come up with such a thing as “anti-vaxxers are anti-Semitic”. Maybe spend some time outside and get some fresh air because that kind of thinking is not based in reality and it’s really hateful.

Edit: I really hope you read the full article you linked to the NYT where you claimed that “anti-vaxxers are anti-Semitic”. It does not say what you think it does. It instead talks about people who are vaxxed fearing and treating Orthodox Jews badly because they assume that they are not vaccinated. That’s exactly the kind of thing that you are trying to do here to people who are for choice. Get people to hate those who may not vaccinate 100% on schedule or at all.
Thank you. I never knew that an outbreak is more than 3 cases. That is probably why, which Suzy Q did not believe me, in the Florida Public School district it was never reported when three siblings in the school came down with Measles back around 2007.

The school did not shut down for 3 cases of Measles. All the school did was notify parents and staff, not naming names due to HIPPA, about it. The siblings just stayed home until they got well. From what I heard through the grapevine they had traveled to a foreign country, with their parents, where they caught measles.

BTW, I worked 1:1 with a totally unvaccinated 5 year old. Neither he, nor any other unvaccinated student or staff member, was banned from school when 3 students had measles.

Don't believe me, Suzy Q. It happened. I would have been sent home if he couldn't go to school. Guess they should have been MADE to shut down, right? Maybe as Rockland County, NY, instituted a County ban for all unvaccinated children?

Old 04-05-2019, 03:04 PM

21,812 posts, read 27,851,490 times
Sheesh.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:04 PM

23,415 posts, read 28,264,585 times
Quote:
Sorry but no matter how many times you make that claim it’s not true. Many people labeled “anti-vaxxers” which includes anyone who doesn’t follow the vaccine schedule to a T spend a lot of time reading scientific studies, not “psuedo-science” and take the issue very seriously. You’re trying so hard to make it seem like anyone who doesn’t follow the schedule perfectly or forgoes one or more vaccines is stupid or crazy and that’s just not the reality of it.

It’s not true so it is slander. It’s hate speech and you’re actively spreading it.

There are reasonable things that can be done in an outbreak to prevent it’s spread but we don’t agree that what’s happening in Rockland County is reasonable.
In a different thread you yourself posted links to NVIC and Tetyana Obukhanych. NVIC is the epitome of anti-vax, and Obukhanych is a crank of the first order, having invented her personal version of immunology.

Herd immunity denial does not even count as pseudoscience.

Your insistence that the ban is unreasonable is symptomatic of a lack of basic understanding of epidemiology. Keeping susceptible individuals out of the population at risk is fundamental to control of disease outbreaks., and the population at risk is the entire county.

It is not smart to refuse vaccines based on info from NVIC or people like Obukhanych.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:10 PM

23,415 posts, read 28,264,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Thank you. I never knew that an outbreak is more than 3 cases. That is probably why, which Suzy Q did not believe me, in the Florida Public School district it was never reported when three siblings in the school came down with Measles back around 2007.

The school did not shut down for 3 cases of Measles. All the school did was notify parents and staff, not naming names due to HIPPA, about it. The siblings just stayed home until they got well. From what I heard through the grapevine they had traveled to a foreign country, with their parents, where they caught measles.

BTW, I worked 1:1 with a totally unvaccinated 5 year old. Neither he, nor any other unvaccinated student or staff member, was banned from school when 3 students had measles.

Don't believe me, Suzy Q. It happened. I would have been sent home if he couldn't go to school. Guess they should have been MADE to shut down, right? Maybe as Rockland County, NY, instituted a County ban for all unvaccinated children?
Yes, unvaccinated students should have been sent home. If the school system did not have such a policy it was wrong.

Florida now:

https://www.news-journalonline.com/n...-of-exemptions

"Unvaccinated individuals exposed to measles may be excluded for up to 21 days from public places, such as school and work, where they could infect others."

Old 04-05-2019, 03:15 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:

A poster said "I suspect that the larger issue with Rockland county is the significant portion of the population which is hasidic jew. Those waldorf kids just got caught up with the larger (targeted) group so as not to appear biased against one particular part of the population"

That comment stands, and it is awful.

For all you complain about people being rude, slanderous, pathetic, etc, you are accusing me of getting people to hate others. That is flat out untrue. I do think people who choose not to vaccinate in a state of outbreak should stay out of the public domain. This countywide emergency has to do with measles disease and vaccine and nothing else.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
In a different thread you yourself posted links to NVIC and Tetyana Obukhanych. NVIC is the epitome of anti-vax, and Obukhanych is a crank of the first order, having invented her personal version of immunology.

Herd immunity denial does not even count as pseudoscience.

Your insistence that the ban is unreasonable is symptomatic of a lack of basic understanding of epidemiology. Keeping susceptible individuals out of the population at risk is fundamental to control of disease outbreaks., and the population at risk is the entire county.

It is not smart to refuse vaccines based on info from NVIC or people like Obukhanych.
Tetyana Obukhanych is an expert in her field. The article I posted form NVIC was heavily referenced. I realize that you prefer to get your info from hate filled propaganda blogs but I’m not sorry for sharing those links amongst the numerous scientific studies I’ve also shared over the years.

I think you might be the one who is buying in pseudoscience. Sad.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
A poster said "I suspect that the larger issue with Rockland county is the significant portion of the population which is hasidic jew. Those waldorf kids just got caught up with the larger (targeted) group so as not to appear biased against one particular part of the population"

That comment stands, and it is awful.

For all you complain about people being rude, slanderous, pathetic, etc, you are accusing me of getting people to hate others. That is flat out untrue. I do think people who choose not to vaccinate in a state of outbreak should stay out of the public domain. This countywide emergency has to do with measles disease and vaccine and nothing else.
You’ve said some truly awful things about people who don’t vaccinate in your last few comments in this thread alone. If you can’t see that those comments were out of line then I can’t help you.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:33 PM

21,812 posts, read 27,851,490 times
Obukhanych is a quack of the worst order who has no credibility.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ha...ated-children/

Quote:
In 2017, the conspiracy-peddling Neon Nettle junk news website published an article headlined “Harvard Study Proves Unvaccinated Children Pose No Risk.”

The referenced “study” was, in fact, not a study but rather an “open letter” penned by a woman named Tetyana Obukhanych and published on the anti-vaccine website Thinking Moms’ Revolution — a site that promotes a $2,000.00 “ion detox” machine as a treatment for autism. Obukhanych’s letter, first published in 2015, continues to be shared and re-shared online despite its numerous shortcomings.
Quote:
In most cases, Obukhanych’s reasoning is problematic and her conclusions unsupported by science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or