Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

"Officials in Rockland County, New York, have declared a countywide State of Emergency after a measles outbreak that’s infected at least 151 people since October.

The declaration will bar unvaccinated children from going out to public places until they receive the vaccination against measles or the declaration expires after 30 days, the New York Times and WPIX-TV reported."

https://www.wpbf.com/article/new-yor...break/26949430

"A federal judge this month denied a request from parents to let 44 unvaccinated children return to the Waldorf School in Rockland County."

Old 03-26-2019, 09:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

"A federal judge this month denied a request from parents to let 44 unvaccinated children return to the Waldorf School in Rockland County."
Well knock me over with a feather! Why am I not surprised a Waldorf school has has 44 unvaccinated children, almost 1 in 6 of their student body.

I am not critical of the Waldorf curriculum, per se, but they do tend to attract some parents with way-out ideas, including it appears, the anti-vaxx mommies.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:10 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
How are they going to enforce this?

Trying to enter the supermarket are there going to be people @ the door inspecting everyone's medical records?

I mean it's a well-intended idea but logistically how will this work exactly?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
By asking for their papers. That’s how the nazis did it.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
By asking for their papers. That’s how the nazis did it.
Wow! Third post in the thread invokes Godwin's Law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Trying to enter the supermarket are there going to be people @ the door inspecting everyone's medical records?

You would think that parents of unvaccinated kids would understand the reason for the bar and just comply. However, some of these parents actually think measles is a Good Thing. They would be happy for their children to catch the disease because they refuse to understand how serious it can be. Folks are even refusing to cooperate with public health officials when they have sick family members.

https://hudsonvalleypost.com/unvacci...ley-locations/

"Law enforcement will not be patrolling or asking for vaccination records but those found to be in violation will be referred to the Rockland County District Attorney's Office."

Old 03-27-2019, 12:03 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:

A reasonable question. I think you have to ask why people obey the law.

Some people probably only obey laws out of fear of punishment. However, others choose to obey laws for the simple reason that in a society with many different people laws are essential. For example, I may not want to stop at a red light, but one of my reasons for doing so is that I recognize that in order for traffic to move in a prompt and orderly fashion it is necessary to have laws that require me to stop at traffic signals at some of the intersections where I live.

Rather than always threatening to punish people often it is better to do what I call "appealing to he better angels in our nature". Obedience is best when it occurs because people want to obey.

I would hope the vast majority of people--hopefully even those who generally oppose vaccination--at least get themselves and their children vaccinated when an outbreak of the disease occurs.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:35 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Since this thread, unlike the other one, was posted here by a "medical professional", I will give you this anecdotal response.

My 3rd Grandson was born March 8th in a Long Island, NY Hospital. He was in the NICU and only Parents and Grandparents were allowed in there. Same hospital as my 1st Grandson was born in 5 years ago.

Five years there were signs all over this same hospital at the same time of the year for getting your Flu and Tdap vaccinations. NASTY Staff. No signs about vaccinations 3 weeks ago. I could not believe the difference in this same hospital, maybe 30 miles from Rockland County? My daughter told me that the entire staff was FIRED for so complaints by the public, especially in Labor and Delivery, Maternity, and NICU. Guess they dropped the ball, Suzy Q? Better make sure every single adult visitor is fully up to date on their vaccinations!!!!

Old 03-27-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Better make sure every single adult visitor is fully up to date on their vaccinations!!!!
Yes. This is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3oZrMGDMMw

Old 03-27-2019, 09:59 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:

Here's a little more detail:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/un...urb/ar-BBVgacz

"Day, the Rockland County executive, said authorities will not be searching for children who are not vaccinated, but are expecting parents and legal guardians to get their children vaccinated. However, he said, parents and guardians who are found to be in violation will be held accountable and their cases will be referred to the district attorney’s office. Such a violation will be considered a misdemeanor, punishable by a $500 fine or up to six months in jail."

"Before the introduction of the measles vaccine in 1963, most children contracted the illness — an estimated 3 million to 4 million patients were infected each year in the United States, according to CDC data. Of those, 48,000 were hospitalized, 400 to 500 died and 1,000 others suffered a severe complication known as encephalitis, a condition in which the brain swells because of an infection."

I know so many people think it's their right to do such and such, or their right not to do such and such. And I would agree, EXCEPT where the health of other people are concerned.

I see so many anti-vaxxers complain about second hand smoke from smokers or how obese people and teens having babies cost us all so much money. But they never stop to think that what they do when they refuse to vaccinate their kids does the same thing to other people. Look at that: 48,000 people hospitalized. How much did that cost US taxpayers?

It's like someone who lives on a hill and uses the stream running through their property as a lavatory. They say they were there first, that it's their stream on their property, or that they have a right to do what they want on their property. But they're not thinking about the people who live downstream. They're not thinking of the other people who will be affected by the feces and bacteria that flow downstream. What's worse, when you point it out, they say they don't care. As long as they can do what they want to do because, you know, rights.

All I know is my friend is on edge yet again because of the measles epidemic in Washington. The measles vaccine doesn't take with her and as an adult, if she gets measles, she'll really be in trouble. And it's infuriating that she has to worry about something like this AGAIN because some parents selfishly refuse to vaccinate their children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Since this thread, unlike the other one, was posted here by a "medical professional", I will give you this anecdotal response.

My 3rd Grandson was born March 8th in a Long Island, NY Hospital. He was in the NICU and only Parents and Grandparents were allowed in there. Same hospital as my 1st Grandson was born in 5 years ago.

Five years there were signs all over this same hospital at the same time of the year for getting your Flu and Tdap vaccinations. NASTY Staff. No signs about vaccinations 3 weeks ago. I could not believe the difference in this same hospital, maybe 30 miles from Rockland County? My daughter told me that the entire staff was FIRED for so complaints by the public, especially in Labor and Delivery, Maternity, and NICU. Guess they dropped the ball, Suzy Q? Better make sure every single adult visitor is fully up to date on their vaccinations!!!!

NICU? If I had a baby in there, I would be screaming if they let in people who weren't vaccinated. Not only that, but I'd be screaming if they let in any kids at all. Kids are little germ factories. There's no telling what they could be passing on to premies and other newborns.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:14 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Seriously? Born before 1957? Don't need that MMR. Born before 1980? Don't need that chicken Pox vax, but maybe you need a Shingles Vaccination!!!!

Check Birth Certificates for ages of all the Visitors too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events