U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 11:02 AM

6,101 posts, read 3,794,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Me.

I am shocked that she picked the one car out of millions that had a murderer in the drivers seat.

It's not as if every wrong car has a murderer at the wheel.
She didn't "pick the one car out of millions that was driven by a murderer." Millions of people did not invite her into their car. Not even two people invited her into their car. Just one. The ONLY person (other than an legitimate Lyft/Uber driver) that would pull over and invite a single girl to get in, would be someone who was up to no good. That one driver picked HER and hoped she would be drunk/foolish enough to get in without checking to see if he was legit. And, unfortunately, she was.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 AM

828 posts, read 280,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl
These companies should be shut down.Period! Whatever happened to the days when you would tell your kids to never get in a car with strangers and nowadays it has become a business!! Crazy!! These companies are only in it for the money.Bring back yellow taxi cabs I say. Also more people are at huge risks when they call these share riding services because one is always told..hey if you drink too much..call one of these.Well of course a drunk person wouldn't be able to really follow the safety precautions..gee because they're too drunk. BUT..wait...at least you would know the difference between getting into a yellow taxi cab versus some black vehicle with maybe a hard to see decal on the vehicle.
They just need to stop all of this.I knew years ago when Uber started to come out that this was a crazy idea....but as usual..money always wins out with these companies over common sense.
It makes me so angry that this happened to that woman.People need to wake up about these 'car services'. Who cares about how cheap these services are compared to a taxi service.It's not worth it

It's nice to see one poster (codergirl) gets it. Yeah, cab drivers are strangers who have been fingerprinted and had a background check. Uber does nothing so they can make as much money as possible. Maybe people will wise up after this and take taxis. But Uber is a little cheaper sometimes, so go ahead and risk your life to save a few cents.
Wrong. Uber is very safe when used properly. Uber does criminal and DMV background checks on it's drivers. There is a record of who picks me up. I can share this information with friends/family. I know the make, model, and license plate of the car. I know the name of the driver. I am provided with a picture of the driver. I am provided with the real time location of the driver. When I open the door, the driver says my name. Uber records the route the driver takes and when the ride ends.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 AM

9,059 posts, read 4,280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This poor girl and her family. It's tragic. I remember a time when we told our kids to never get into a car with a stranger. Times sure have changed.

And probably not to open the door to strangers but I bet they order pizza delivery all the time.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 AM

9,882 posts, read 4,366,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
She didn't "pick the one car out of millions that was driven by a murderer." Millions of people did not invite her into their car. Not even two people invited her into their car. Just one. The ONLY person (other than an legitimate Lyft/Uber driver) that would pull over and invite a single girl to get in, would be someone who was up to no good. That one driver picked HER and hoped she would be drunk/foolish enough to get in. Which, unfortunately, she was.
Ever wonder how many people he tried to pick up before her? The rest turned him down and she didn't. You think this was done on the first time? Ever think to lock Windows and child locks without practice? Or do you think he had them locked because his kid was in the backseat right before this?

Old 04-02-2019, 11:07 AM

1,453 posts, read 398,367 times
So easily avoidable, why in God's name would she get in a car without checking it against the license plate provided by the app?

Old 04-02-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
She didn't "pick the one car out of millions that was driven by a murderer." Millions of people did not invite her into their car. Not even two people invited her into their car. Just one. The ONLY person (other than an legitimate Lyft/Uber driver) that would pull over and invite a single girl to get in, would be someone who was up to no good. That one driver picked HER and hoped she would be drunk/foolish enough to get in without checking to see if he was legit. And, unfortunately, she was.
Exactly. It was a predator looking for an opportunity. And he found one.

This is a tragic situation, but it is no different than any other predator out looking for prey situation. This is why we stress the importance of personal safety to our 21 year old daughter.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 AM

4,693 posts, read 1,242,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
You have to pass a Department of Transportation physical, including a vision test, hearing test and drug test. Uber and Lyft does NONE of this before sending a new driver out on the road to pick up customers!
What does this have to do with the horrible crime perpetrated in South Carolina? The murderer was not an Uber or Lyft driver. Uber or Lyft had nothing to do with it. Yet you start carrying on about things Uber or Lyft should change. If they changed them, would hat have prevened this crime, done by some thug who goes through none of Uber's or Lyft's inspection, background checks, etc.

Suppose this murderer had painted up his car to look like a taxi (pretty easy with some sandpaper, masking tape, and spray paint) and lured a girl into his car and killed her. Would you be posting here that taxi companies aren't safe enough, and had to change their ways? How wold this have helped prevent this murder, done by someone who had nothing to do with any taxi company?

Jeez, get a grip. If you hate Uber and Lyft so much, fine, say so. Or taxi companies, ditto. But you are being neither fair nor rational, blaming them for things they had nothing to do with.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:09 AM

9,059 posts, read 4,280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So my preference are cabs, mainly because where I live they are fingerprinted, back ground checked and usually the outside of the cab has a specific id number.

But let me say I live in a major city so I can stand on the corner of downtown and easily hail a cab.

What good does that do you if you are killed? If you hail it down from the corner, no one will have any record that you ever got in that cab.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:10 AM

9,882 posts, read 4,366,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
So easily avoidable, why in God's name would she get in a car without checking it against the license plate provided by the app?
Because it wouldn't matter, he premeditated this, he could have been the real driver as well and still killed her

Stop acting like uber or any background check is some magic pill that prevents people from killing

Maybe the story would have been she took a real uber home, and was killed at her door steps because she didn't tip the driver

Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Drunk and stupid would be my guess.
(Unfortunately)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or